Fire breaks out inside apartment at Woodvine Apartments

Skipper

Scott Sidway | News Editor

@ScottyWK

A fire broke out on a second floor apartment at the Woodvine Apartment Complex Wednesday around 11:45 a.m. Nobody was inside the apartment at the time of the fire, and no pets were inside either.

The Denton Fire Department arrived on the scene shortly after the fire broke out, according to multiple witnesses. Fire trucks and ambulances were lined up on Avenue H by 11:50 a.m.

“All we heard was fire trucks. We didn’t know where they were going,” Harold Smith, a resident in Woodvine Building 3, said. “I thought they may have been going past here, but the next thing you know, boom. The next thing you know, we heard something going off, and I was like ‘Whoa. Fire trucks everywhere.’”

The resident for the ablaze apartment is Carlos Martinez, the brother-in-law of property manager Jesus Martinez. Carlos did not respond to any phone calls from family and was at work, according to his wife, Diana Martinez.

Jesus lives in the apartment directly underneath Carlos’ and said the resident behind Carlos reported smelling smoke in the apartment Tuesday night. Jesus said he went to personally inspect the residence, and no sign of fire was evident.

“I checked everything. I didn’t find anything wrong,” Jesus said. “We didn’t smell it again. It went away.”

Jesus said the fire department asked him how many people lived in the apartments, though nobody appeared hurt. Fire fighters initially entered the apartment through the front door through a wall of smoke, but they eventually boarded the truck’s crane and entered from above to cut through the roof and find the fire.

The fire was eventually extinguished.

Woodvine Apartments are located only a couple of blocks from UNT campus, located at the corner of Charlotte Street and Avenue H, between Bonnie Brae Street and North Texas Boulevard.

To make matters worse, today was Jesus’ last day on the job and was set to retire tomorrow.

“What a day to make your last day as apartment manager,” Smith said. “Can you imagine your last day as apartment manager and this happens?”

North Texas Daily will continue to update this story.

View Full Article

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Jesus lives in the apartment directly underneath Carlos’...

“I checked everything. I didn’t find anything wrong,” Jesus said. “We didn’t smell it again. It went away.”

Jesus said the fire department asked him how many people lived in the apartments...

To make matters worse, today was Jesus’ last day on the job and was set to retire tomorrow.

The article was written  just to get those lines into print.  

• Upvote 5