Steve Spurrier for AD?

I'm sorry, but I would like to see a hard-charging guy about 15 years younger than Steve or Mack. This job is not a morning in the office and an afternoon at the nineteenth hole. I want to see a midnight-oil guy who will dig into this department and fix it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

If you were able to somehow go the Mack B route, in my mind it would be all about leveraging the celeb status to dramatically increase donations/season tickets/MGC #'s in a very short period and use his connections to bring instant credibility/interest.  I doubt he would dazzle you with pure AD skills, but he was always more of a CEO type coach so I am sure he would have no issue with delegation.

Pipe dream i'm sure, but I would certainly make contact before I looked elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

If you were able to somehow go the Mack B route, in my mind it would be all about leveraging the celeb status to dramatically increase donations/season tickets/MGC #'s in a very short period and use his connections to bring instant credibility/interest.  I doubt he would dazzle you with pure AD skills, but he was always more of a CEO type coach so I am sure he would have no issue with delegation.

Pipe dream i'm sure, but I would certainly make contact before I looked elsewhere.

I'll take either Spurrier or Mack bc of ^^^^

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Are we sure that their celeb status would equate to a flood of new donations, season tickets, and/or MGC #s?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Are we sure that their celeb status would equate to a flood of new donations, season tickets, and/or MGC #s?

Nope, I don't think you would know for sure until he actually went out and did it.  Hopefully there would be pretty clear goals in place. 

Also, Mack I bet is could strike up a convo with most if not all HS coaches and plant the seed of UNT at the program, it would be great if we were able to have HS coaches come to UNT meet the staff and Mack, that would give a solid foundation, plus if we were able to have our select athletes like Orr, Dunbar, Roberson and Quinn talk about the positives and how playing actually matters at to pro-scouts more at times then the name of the college that would help. Even if UNT were to bring in Mack as a Special Assisant and he still worked at ESPN that would be great as well but I know the latter is unlike. But adding Mack will only help Litrell and the staff, because Mack knows how to run a program and rebuild one like he did at UnC and UT.. Also, maybe Mack could get a few old UT friends that wanna see him have success write a few checks to compete with TCU for recruits in DFW. 

• Upvote 1

I do like the midnight oil guy because I think there is so much work to be done that you need the energy and drive of the 35 - 45 year old looking to prove themselves.  They would also relate brilliantly to our nice young coaches (basketball pending.)  However, there is this undercurrent that has to be considered and this makes it more intricate.  

Realignment is on the front page again.  If you get the right person to come in and sell the vision of UNT and talk about how we must absolutely be aligned with the Houston, TCU, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State's of the world I think you have to listen to that person.  That report which showed us as having the most alumni in North Texas is a tool to leverage such a conversation.  But you need the right person selling us inside (students), outside (national) and sideways (Denton/DFW community).  We have something few in our state have that is massive numbers of alumni and community to turn on.  One of the richest most affluent upcoming areas of the Great State of Texas is sitting at our doorstep.  

I don't care how hard someone works, if they don't see the greatness UNT can be I don't want them.  If you have politically savvy cigar smoking connected leader that doesn't have the stamina to do the hard work, I don't want them.  

There are no shortcuts to excellence.  Establish high standards for this hire and see who is up to the challenge.  May the best man or woman win.

GMG     

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

It does pretty much sum it up. But it'd be nice to have either Spurrier or Mack on a 2-3 year contract for a boost to numbers. 

Between my two schools, this is the first time I've ever had to watch the hiring process unfold for a new AD.

is this a position that is okay to contract for 2-3 years?