Ken Starr out

Graddean

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I am pretty sure MeanJewGreen's contention in that people calling them "Christian values", and therefore logically calling them values that non Christians don't hold, is in fact the emotionally charged rhetoric that shouldn't be used in the forum. 

Um, I think I'm being quoted here because I introduced that phrase to this thread.   If no, I apologize.

But, no, I most-certainly didn't say that.  

Now, we're starting to tangent towards the Pie forum though... Can public Universities have the same standards/values?   Absolutely.  Is it a Christian-only idea that rape is bad...  do I need to answer that?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Um, I think I'm being quoted here because I introduced that phrase to this thread.   If no, I apologize.

I think Baylor introduced it by calling themselves a Christian University, then documenting exactly what they meant by that in several guidebooks and policies, and then more or less ignored them because Briles is winning.  

• Upvote 7

11 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I think Baylor introduced it by calling themselves a Christian University, then documenting exactly what they meant by that in several guidebooks and policies, and then more or less ignored them because Briles is winning.  

I see.   We appear to be on the same page.   

The intent was there on my part, but the execution was sloppy:
7bafc745eb6a6e50d08a4014502f7230-golf-hi

On 5/25/2016 at 7:52 AM, Eagle-96 said:

Briles could probably shoot a coach during the post game handshake and keep his job. He did what many many others could not do at Baylor and that has given him a long leash. Money, power, and prestige often clouds peoples(read administrations) judgement so I suspect he will be at Baylor until he gets a better offer or decides to ride off into the sunset whenever he chooses. There must be scapegoats in life and there are quite a few in line ahead of Art.

Wow, I was wrong, wrong, wrong on this one. I didn't think Baylor had it in them.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

If they let Briles go, I don't see how Starr survives.  Probably even the AD for a clean sweep.

AD is on probation.

Starr no longer President; moving to Chancellor. I bet he's gone after a bit.

• Upvote 2

Just now, oldguystudent said:

How the hell does transitioning to chancellor accomplish anything?

It could be putting him to pasture. He certainly won't be involved in the day-to-day functions of the university.

Just now, oldguystudent said:

Man, I hope I can get punished like that some day.

I think I heard on ESPN where Starr was both the President and Chancellor. Moving him to just Chancellor is a "demotion." It could be the school doesn't have enough to straight out fire him without opening a whole new can of worms.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I think I heard on ESPN where Starr was both the President and Chancellor. Moving him to just Chancellor is a "demotion." It could be the school doesn't have enough to straight out fire him without opening a whole new can of worms.

The report clearly stated lack of control within the football program, athletic department, and university level.  Seems pretty damning for all three to me.  This is falling under Title IX actions.  Don't see how any of the three survive.  Briles is being thrown out as the lamb, but I don't think that will satisfy the wolves.

Just now, TreeFiddy said:

The report clearly stated lack of control within the football program, athletic department, and university level.  Seems pretty damning for all three to me.  This is falling under Title IX actions.  Don't see how any of the three survive.  Briles is being thrown out as the lamb, but I don't think that will satisfy the wolves.

Baylor's Board of Regents likely ran by legal counsel whether they could fire Starr. If he didn't get fired there's likely a (legal) reason why. Given all that's going on, the school is going to be busy fending off lots of legal battles for years to come. I guess they could have decided that fighting off an Employment Termination case wasn't worth it.

I don't see Starr hanging around for much longer though, whether he's fired or he just decides to ride off into the sunset.

5 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Baylor's Board of Regents likely ran by legal counsel whether they could fire Starr. If he didn't get fired there's likely a (legal) reason why. Given all that's going on, the school is going to be busy fending off lots of legal battles for years to come. I guess they could have decided that fighting off an Employment Termination case wasn't worth it.

I don't see Starr hanging around for much longer though, whether he's fired or he just decides to ride off into the sunset.

Maybe Starr will be happy to just finish out his career as a law professor teaching "Ethics".

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

How the hell does transitioning to chancellor accomplish anything?

There is something that stinks here. Starr initiated the independent investigation! in reading the results I would think he would fire AB! The money guys say no way you will be the scapegoat, solved! Public said no way! Backfire!

Art-Briles-FTW-e1464288961375.jpg

Baylor Media Communications announced that President Ken Starr will continue his role as Chancellor and law Professor as Dr. David Garland is named interim university president. Baylor head football coach Art Briles will be suspended with intent to terminate after his 8 seasons with the Bears. Athletic Director Ian McCaw is sanctioned and placed on probation, and Baylor will self-report to the NCAA.

Board of Regents fires Briles, Starr removed as President