2017 C-USA Basketball Tourney Site

Harry

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If Frazier actually plays and the new coach can get more out of guys not named Combs, I'm with you.

Everything we hear says that Frazier is adapting well to UNT, doing well in his classes and getting along.  He knows he has one shot to turn things around and I think he will make the most of it. 

I think everyone wants to put the full blame of what happened at SMU on Keith, when in actuality he was being led by coaches and adminstrators who took him down the wrong path.  Let's give this kid the benefit of the doubt.  He chose our school to finish out his career and by all accounts is a very good player.

I hope Shreveport has much better facilities than it did when the Southland Tournament used to be held there.  It was a dump.  However, the location would be great for NT.  

Biloxi used to be one of my favorite places before the hurricane.  A lot further, but should be a very nice location.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Everything we hear says that Frazier is adapting well to UNT, doing well in his classes and getting along.  He knows he has one shot to turn things around and I think he will make the most of it. 

I think everyone wants to put the full blame of what happened at SMU on Keith, when in actuality he was being led by coaches and adminstrators who took him down the wrong path.  Let's give this kid the benefit of the doubt.  He chose our school to finish out his career and by all accounts is a very good player.

He's certainly talented enough to go pro overseas if he doesn't like his situation here.  

If the new AD replaces Benford with someone Frazier doesn't want to play under, he may just up & leave.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He's certainly talented enough to go pro overseas if he doesn't like his situation here.  

If the new AD replaces Benford with someone Frazier doesn't want to play under, he may just up & leave.

Assuming competent coaching he would probably better served staying in school this year. That should give him a better chance at the NBA than going overseas. For a player of his talent the overseas money is likely always going to be there.

I am sooo ready for MBB to be exciting and fun again!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Where would they host this in Biloxi?  I have been there a number of times and don't ever remember seeing anything that would lead me to believe it was capable of hosting an event of this nature.

Mississippi Coast Coliseum and Convention Center

No, not the old mansion in the picture - there's an arena.

Edited by Stix
elaborate

On 5/26/2016 at 8:25 AM, grossman said:

Conference USA boards have the tournament in Birmingham for third straight year for 2016-2017....

I would really hate this to happen again. I guess they figure Birmingham is a great center location between the West division and the East division. But I would love the games in the Shreveport, that's definitely makeable, even for a student.

Here's some food for thought...

The Eastern and Western Division leaders with the best record host the other teams in their division.  The leader (one) plays the winner of four vs five in the second round.  The winner of 2 vs 7 plays the winner of 3 vs 6.  The two winners in each division advance to the final four championship.  Eastern highest rated vs Western lowest rated in game one.  The second game is Western highest rated vs Eastern lowest rated.  The two winners play for the championship.  The location of the championship would be a central location (Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana or Tennessee).  An alternative would be to have the championship at the university with the best season attendance of the four finalists but that would require a lot of pre-planning by schools that would not be the selected site, since the final four would not be known until days before the championship.

Note:  If the division leaders are tied in conference wins and losses then the university with the best season attendance hosts the division playoffs.

Edited by GrayEagle
Additional note
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Question: Do we even acknowledge divisions in basketball? ESPN doesn't at least and the seeds are out of all 14.

Not at this time but it would be easy to do using the same divisions as in football.  It could also alter the schedule somewhat and reduce travel expenses buy having only three away games in the other division each year (as well as three home games).

Edited by GrayEagle
added clause
  • Upvote 1