NO ONE FROM THE CURRENT AD!

UNT90

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No one is questioning his "motives" or what kind of man he is.    
We're questioning his ability to run an athletic department and drive it to where we need to go rather than keeping a status quo he's known for 20 years.   Old habits die hard.

Oh, and:
Never question Bruce Dickenson:
th?id=OIP.M76995e5ff6299b87b292e7148460e

More Cowbell!!

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh, and:
Never question Bruce Dickenson:

Which brings to mind - it used to be common (in the 80s, anyway) for the Talons to have cowbells.  What ever happened to that?

Oops, I think I just opened a can of (flying) worms.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

Being dedicated to UNT and being able to fix the ridiculous mess the athletic department is in are not the same thing. It's the hire Chico argument all over again. We need to make a clean break from this regime. 

So so so much this. If I'm not mistaken, TFLF was also on the Chico boat back in the day.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Keith7 said:

I think who ever comes in should find a whole new Sports Information Department. They do a horrible job of promoting events, they aren't involved in helping UNT students with internships (instead they hire sons and daughters of friends from TCU and other institutions) and they are nearly impossible to work with from a media stand point. It's time for them to be held accountable, too.

Dude come to the plate with a fact or two. Can you let me know the names of these sons and daughters and friends from TCU that they have hired? 

And I would challenge you to find some media members, real ones, not the card board box known as Brett Vito, who would say their department is hard to work with. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

14 hours ago, GTBGone said:

Dude come to the plate with a fact or two. Can you let me know the names of these sons and daughters and friends from TCU that they have hired? 

And I would challenge you to find some media members, real ones, not the card board box known as Brett Vito, who would say their department is hard to work with. 

Nice first post dude!

If you have anything to do with the UNT Athletic Department, your charge here is part of the problem and a reason why you need to be gone.

If not & you're trolling... great job!

• Upvote 7

Keep in mind that the Athletic Department may have been understaffed (I'm fairly certain this is the case) and ill-equipped to deal with the growth (albeit modest) that occurred during RV's tenure.  The next AD may have to first persuade the president and BOR to add a few new hiring lines to ease the strain on everyone else.  Sure, gut some corners of the department and bring in some fresh faces, but we might be surprised by how much better many of the current staff can perform in their current jobs with some additional help.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, GTBGone said:

Who's sock account is this?

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Keith7 said:

I can message them to you if you'd like. I didn't want to call them out on a public forum for using their dads and buddies to get jobs. Go to the athletic website and read some of the sids bios though. See how many went to UNT.

Yes I'm in the media. They are very hard to work with. Especially football. Only Division 1 football program I've ever had take 3 weeks to do a phone interview.

This is, and has been, a problem for a long time and should not be the case.  This is one of he easy ways to market your program and I have heard how difficult it is for media to get access to our program.  So short sighted.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Keith7 said:

See how many went to UNT.

So UT creates a national TV network they use in conjunction with their Radio, TV and Film program and we hire people for our staff that didn't attend or graduate from UNT?  Wow I really hope this is not the case.  If so, it is a disgrace.  UNT has a very respectable RTF program.  Next we will hear that they aren't "qualified"... 

20 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This sounds, oddly, like a vote of confidence.  These are the kinds of reasons I would expect Hank to get the interim tag, but it's kinda like taking the keys from a drunk guy, and handing them to another slightly-less drunk guy.  "Best man for the job" probably wouldn't be my choice of words.

Do you know someone who would be better as the interim AD?

38 minutes ago, Harry said:

So UT creates a national TV network they use in conjunction with their Radio, TV and Film program and we hire people for our staff that didn't attend or graduate from UNT?  Wow I really hope this is not the case.  If so, it is a disgrace.  UNT has a very respectable RTF program.  Next we will hear that they aren't "qualified"... 

I would love the chance to at least talk with the new AD about their digital media/video strategy. I think they are tied to CBS Interactive though CUSA, but they might not be. It's at least worth a conversation. 

19 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

Being dedicated to UNT and being able to fix the ridiculous mess the athletic department is in are not the same thing. It's the hire Chico argument all over again. We need to make a clean break from this regime. 

18 hours ago, UNT90 said:

So so so much this. If I'm not mistaken, TFLF was also on the Chico boat back in the day.

Keep in mind that Dr.S. did not choose Coach Canales after Coach C. "auditioned" for the second time. Hank Dickenson may audition for the job, although I don't know how he would do that in such a small time frame, but don't assume that Dr. S. will choose him. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Do you know someone who would be better as the interim AD?

I don't.

I also don't blame you if you missed where I said (moments after Vito posted his link here) that I expected Hank to be named interim.   I'm more than fine with that.  But I'd be very disappointed if he's named permanent AD.

On 5/23/2016 at 10:27 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I would expect the interim AD to be Hank... right?

I'm super-nervous about this next hire.  It is so critical.  Smatresk cannot blow this hire.  I expect Ernie and, of course, Brint to be very heavy-handed in this search.

But, if Smatresk thinks he knows someone... or a search committee quickly names someone else as interim, then I suppose he'll go that direction, and that's fine.

3 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

. I think they are tied to CBS Interactive though CUSA, but they might not be.

That deal is dead.

New CUSA deal mirrors the MAC deal.  ESPN3 is more or less the carrier for streaming media.  They will stream anything that meets their production values.  It is up to the school to meet those values and pay for the production costs.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Keith7 said:

I can message them to you if you'd like. I didn't want to call them out on a public forum for using their dads and buddies to get jobs. Go to the athletic website and read some of the sids bios though. See how many went to UNT.

Yes I'm in the media. They are very hard to work with. Especially football. Only Division 1 football program I've ever had take 3 weeks to do a phone interview.

No thanks on the messaging, I would rather see you name names....if you are gonna publicly call them out for hiring buddies, sons, friends, and such then man up and name them.

Don't hide behind the keyboard now after making the statements like they are facts. 

Bash them for everything they do wrong, that's great, but if your gonna make such accusations like nepotism and buddy buddy hires then at least have the guts to back it up. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 10

6 minutes ago, GTBGone said:

No thanks on the messaging, I would rather see you name names....if you are gonna publicly call them out for hiring buddies, sons, friends, and such then man up and name them.

Don't hide behind the keyboard now after making the statements like they are facts. 

Bash them for everything they do wrong, that's great, but if your gonna make such accusations like nepotism and buddy buddy hires then at least have the guts to back it up. 

You seem like a reasonable guy that will get along well with everyone here...

• Upvote 6