Put Your Money On Fertitta

DeepGreen

Don't sell this guy short.  Been saying for months that I believe Tillman Fertitta can get Houston into the Big 12.  That may be without UT and OU in the conference.  Who knows.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/5/20/11722310/tilman-fertitta-houston-big-12-expansion-texas

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

So we at North Texas should own North Texas? 

And average 13k a game for football and about 2k for basketball games--with hundreds of thousands of alums in DFW, 36k students, and millions surrounding the DFW area as citizens.

The huge majority of alums and students came to Denton because it was cheap and easy to attend. Most of have never stepped foot back in Denton again, much less followed how our teams are doing.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, All About UNT said:

This graphic makes me cry

big-12-sec.0.0.0.jpg

First, for Fertitta to come out and makes these statements publicly, means he has given up on Houston getting an invitation to the Big12. Every logical person knew Texas would never add U of H, and give up their recruiting advantage in Houston. Kind of sounds like he is positioning them for a pitch to the SEC.

About this graphic.... We all know we have the largest alumni base in DFW. This graphic should be no surprise. What we need is for more of our alums to be at the forefront of their respective fields, and promote North Texas as a catalyst for inventiveness, success, and creativity. We need our base to be successful leaders and experts in DFW. Also, UNT needs to do a better job of coordinating events with the college of education. North Texas graduates the second most number of teachers in the state. It should be our goal that ever teacher graduating from North Texas is a die hard Mean Green fan. Our alumni organization partnered with the athletic department should create a special organization that engages this segment of our alumni base. They should be contacted regularly and receive promotional classroom items like, schedule posters, pennants, coffee mugs, alumni magazines, and printable weekly flyers with game day information. I see no reason why we shouldn't make it a goal to see every North Texas grad's classroom covered with Mean Green swag.

And of course we need leadership to demand winning programs, but....

• Upvote 6

20 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

Also, UNT needs to do a better job of coordinating events with the college of education. North Texas graduates the second most number of teachers in the state. It should be our goal that ever teacher graduating from North Texas is a die hard Mean Green fan.

I have always said that if you could get a $25.00 per year contribution to UNt Athletics from every living teacher who graduated from North Texas we would have a substantial "athletic war chest"  to draw from.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

And average 13k a game for football and about 2k for basketball games--with hundreds of thousands of alums in DFW, 36k students, and millions surrounding the DFW area as citizens.

The huge majority of alums and students came to Denton because it was cheap and easy to attend. Most of have never stepped foot back in Denton again, much less followed how our teams are doing.

Give them something, anything to hang their hat on and be proud of and they would show up in great numbers.  Need proof? How many here have brought up the music school when questioned about your alma matter? We don't have many feathers in our cap so we cling to what little there is or join the apathetic mass. 

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HoustonEagle said:

Give them something, anything to hang their hat on and be proud of and they would show up in great numbers.  Need proof? How many here have brought up the music school when questioned about your alma matter? We don't have many feathers in our cap so we cling to what little there is or join the apathetic mass. 

I would assume that the music program has had great leadership throughout the years.  The last great leader in the athletic department we had, was Hayden Frye.  UNT made a decision not to make the necessary investment in resources to keep him.  Great leaders need to have a great culture around them.  Either the powers that be of the organization allow the leader to change the culture for the better or the leader leaves.  It's a symbiotic relationship.  The message and implications of RV's continued employment means that the athletic department's mission is to try to be mediocre.  Why they think that they can maintain a presence at the FBS level indefinitely with this level ineptitude is really confusing to me.

8 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I would assume that the music program has had great leadership throughout the years.  The last great leader in the athletic department we had, was Hayden Frye.  UNT made a decision not to make the necessary investment in resources to keep him.  Great leaders need to have a great culture around them.  Either the powers that be of the organization allow the leader to change the culture for the better or the leader leaves.  It's a symbiotic relationship.  The message and implications of RV's continued employment means that the athletic department's mission is to try to be mediocre.  Why they think that they can maintain a presence at the FBS level indefinitely with this level ineptitude is really confusing to me.

Coach Fry left because of the lack of bowl opportunities for us at the time and the inability to get past the politics of joining the SWC.  The Story of the Liberty Bowl officials coming to Denton, watching a game played in front of a small crowd in a downpour is the reason given, but I never thought he was faultless.  

I liked Coach Fry, but is also pulled us out of a conference before securing a future home for us.  In hindsight, he could have left us in the Missouri Valley Conference with the likes of Memphis State, Cincinnati, etc... until he was able to secure a spot in the SWC.  When that didn't happen, we could have had the chance to go CUSA with our conference mates.  There is no telling what would have happened.  It all could have played out the same way, but I thought it was indicative of Fry's large personality the way he handled that situation.  It was all or nothing with no back up plan.

Fire away from those that believe when he arrived in Denton, he said "Let there be light."  

• Upvote 3

On May 21, 2016 at 7:34 PM, Ben Gooding said:

So we at North Texas should own North Texas? 

UNT grads don't care about UNT athletics because UNT doesn't care about athletics.

You get what you give.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, UNT90 said:

UNT grads don't care about UNT athletics because UNT doesn't care about athletics.

You get what you give.

I really think with the revamp of the business school as well the engineering department, UNT will have a lot more students/alum caring about sports. 

Also, even with BCook on the home slate this is a very intriguing home schedule this upcoming season. We don't get neither of the FU's, UAB or Charlotte and that will help attendance on the year. We must be competitive though. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

You guys dismiss U of H getting into the Big 12.  Read on...this guy carries a lot of influence at UT.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/5/24/11756876/houston-big-12-red-mccombs-texas-booster

He has clout but not enough.  Texas and A&M have owned Houston for decades and have no plans of giving that up, but you knew that didn't you? 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

He has clout but not enough.  Texas and A&M have owned Houston for decades and have no plans of giving that up, but you knew that didn't you? 

Harry, ATM calls Houston "SEC Country" now.  Texas "use" to own Houston Area recruiting.  I'm not so sure now.

Texas isn't letting UH in unless the other schools demand it, like they did with TCU. But that is highly doubtful. They want TV markets that will help their product. BYU and Cincinnati help you more than UH does. Even Memphis, Colorado State, and either Florida school in the AAC provide more help to the current Big XII than Houston.

I still think UH's best and only chance at earning a Power spot is for the Big XII to fold before the LHN expires, which causes UT to go independent and keep the money instead of joining another league, and the Pac decides to offer UH a spot along with others to get into Texas' TV markets. Its remote, but it is possible. Otherwise, they will probably just grow into an AAC power, watching their successful coaches get hired away to the Power 4.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Texas and the Big XII sure didn't own the Houston market last year. 

Of the top 10 rated regular season games in Houston last year, the SEC had 6 of them.  aTm had 2 of those 6.

The Big XII only had 2 of the top 10 rated games.  Only 1 involved UT, the Big XII's premier game (OU/UT) came in 4th, 1 spot above UH/Temple.  The other Big 12 game in the top 10 was TCU/Baylor.  The only other UT game in the top 20 was UT/Notre Dame. 

UH had the other 2 top 10 rated games.  Yes, UH had as many top 10 games as the entire Big XII and as many as aTm.  UH had 3 of the top 20 games, more than UT and as many as aTm.

The Big XII has lost the Houston market to the SEC and it only gets worse every year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:52 AM, UNTLifer said:

Coach Fry left because of the lack of bowl opportunities for us at the time and the inability to get past the politics of joining the SWC.  The Story of the Liberty Bowl officials coming to Denton, watching a game played in front of a small crowd in a downpour is the reason given, but I never thought he was faultless.  

I liked Coach Fry, but is also pulled us out of a conference before securing a future home for us.  In hindsight, he could have left us in the Missouri Valley Conference with the likes of Memphis State, Cincinnati, etc... until he was able to secure a spot in the SWC.  When that didn't happen, we could have had the chance to go CUSA with our conference mates.  There is no telling what would have happened.  It all could have played out the same way, but I thought it was indicative of Fry's large personality the way he handled that situation.  It was all or nothing with no back up plan.

Fire away from those that believe when he arrived in Denton, he said "Let there be light."  

All fine and good but are discounting the fact he had to be his own Athletic Director while being head coach also. I think anyone in this board in a situation like that at a place we don't absolutely love would leave too.

8 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

All fine and good but are discounting the fact he had to be his own Athletic Director while being head coach also. I think anyone in this board in a situation like that at a place we don't absolutely love would leave too.

Had to be?  I think he loved it.