'17 OL Josh Donovan (College Station HS) [Verbal: TVCC]

GMG24

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Depends on puberty, but some kids will continue to grow to 19 or 20.  A look at his parents would really be telling.

Not always.  My brother is 6'3 Dad is 5'9" mom is 5'10". However my moms brothers are 6'6 6'8 6'4  that can sometimes skip around. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Not always.  My brother is 6'3 Dad is 5'9" mom is 5'10". However my moms brothers are 6'6 6'8 6'4  that can sometimes skip around. 

Doesn't sound like that skipped around. Just sounds like your brother got your mom's height, relative to their respective gender.

Either way, people often point to exception or instances, but the takeaway should be that if you recruit kids with the assumption that they are going to get taller, you'll be let down more times than not. It's good recruiting practice to assume they won't get any taller, and any height gains are pleasant surprises.

• Upvote 1

On 8/11/2016 at 7:09 AM, BillySee58 said:

What is your take on why King didn't have any other FBS offers? That has a been a hot question since he committed.

Likely a concern about size. He's about 6-0 even. But he's definitely a take right now.

EDIT: I see he was 6-1 at the Nike camp so that's good. In an odd front he has a chance to play over the center or the 3.

Edited by BigDanTeague

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

It kind of sounds like we moved on from him. He retweeted this...

Why would UNT move on from the highest rated recruit it has at that position? This absolutely is a position of need. The team needs nowhere more help than on the O-line and I don't think there are any decent FBS teams where a quality OC recruit will have better chances to start early than here. Either UNT moving on is simply not what happened, or something important went on below the surface that nobody is talking about. The coaches can't talk about what happened, the kid may not want to.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

He retweeted a post from the UNT coaching staff account from just a little over a week ago, so definitely seems like the coaches moved on.

Wonder if there is some problem here and that's why they went after Newman?

Was really excited about Donovan and hope everything is ok and wish him the best!

I'm wondering if Donovan questioned why they went after Newman, or if Donovan was told he could compete at C then end up at G...  I doubt there was a problem school or commitment-wise, I would think it was either he hasn't been playing up to the standard of his JR tape possibly? or the commitment by Newman scared him off. I doubt it had to do with playing time with the # of moves and shifts we have made on the OL this year as well. 

On August 11, 2016 at 8:00 PM, GMG24 said:

I have complete confidence in our coaches and I have the strong impression they a no nonsense group! They are not going to walk away from a 6'5" 295lb #3 center without reason. Was he taking visits or entertaining other offers would be my guess!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Graddean said:

Is it possible he took the commitment of Newman as a lack of commitment from the coaches?

Highly doubtful.   These guys know that you have to recruit more than 1 OL per class.   They should be ready to come in and compete.   

If the recruitment of another player at the same position (really 3 positions: interior OL) spooked him, then we don't really want him anyway... but I bet that's not what happened.

On 11/3/2016 at 2:24 PM, outoftown said:

Why would UNT move on from the highest rated recruit it has at that position? This absolutely is a position of need. The team needs nowhere more help than on the O-line and I don't think there are any decent FBS teams where a quality OC recruit will have better chances to start early than here. Either UNT moving on is simply not what happened, or something important went on below the surface that nobody is talking about. The coaches can't talk about what happened, the kid may not want to.

Well according to the latest report, he is having a bad year, and the coaches told him to look else where. Rankings don't matter if the player isn't the right fit for the system. I hope the kid doesn't get dropped by anyone else. He seemed high on us when he committed. 

2 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

Well according to the latest report, he is having a bad year, and the coaches told him to look else where. Rankings don't matter if the player isn't the right fit for the system. I hope the kid doesn't get dropped by anyone else. He seemed high on us when he committed. 

I would think if no one else offers and he doesn't sign else where UNT would talk to him about as a blue-shirt.... just to get more depth and position depth if they still think of him as  a viable option for this scheme. 

12 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

Similar to Beechum a few years ago?

• 2 months later...