Um...Tulane football camp,,,featuring Texas A&M coaches?

It's an interesting idea. I think coaches from BOTH programs will be there and BOTH programs get to look over the players. It gets A&M into the middle of LSU territory while giving additional chances to see more players to Tulane coaches. It allows both schools to share data from the camp attendees while lowering the amount of resources - money, time and people - needed to gather the data. The more I think about it, the more I like it. 

4 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

It's an interesting idea. I think coaches from BOTH programs will be there and BOTH programs get to look over the players. It gets A&M into the middle of LSU territory while giving additional chances to see more players to Tulane coaches. It allows both schools to share data from the camp attendees while lowering the amount of resources - money, time and people - needed to gather the data. The more I think about it, the more I like it. 

I can just see the benefits for Tulane now...

"Hey kid, we really like you and want to offer you!...You'll commit? Awesome!...What's that, do I work for aTm?  Well, no...Oh you're decommitting on the spot?...Which one of these guys DOES work for aTm?  That guy over there does...Ok, talk to you later"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, emmitt01 said:

I can just see the benefits for Tulane now...

"Hey kid, we really like you and want to offer you!...You'll commit? Awesome!...What's that, do I work for aTm?  Well, no...Oh you're decommitting on the spot?...Which one of these guys DOES work for aTm?  That guy over there does...Ok, talk to you later"

Both schools are free to offer any of the kids. Both have an 85 scholarship limit. Yes, A&M will likely win recruiting battles between the two but that's not different than it is without the camps. Tulane gets to see more players of a potentially better quality while A&M doesn't have to staff and fund a camp alone. 

I feel this way about it:  you are inviting the Big Boys to look over borderline 2-/3-star kids they may sweep in and steal if one of their other recruits falls through on or near Signing Day. 

I don't buy the, "You'll get better athletes at your camp to look at" angle because your chances at those recruits are not good anyway. 

So, to me, it's just a way for Tulane to let Texas A&M have a look at the New Orleans "diamonds in the rough" that they would otherwise not lay eyes on. 

Smart for TAMU; not so much for Tulane.  This is Sumlin taking advantage of Fritz.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

So, to me, it's just a way for Tulane to let Texas A&M have a look at the New Orleans "diamonds in the rough" that they would otherwise not lay eyes on. 

Smart for TAMU; not so much for Tulane.  This is Sumlin taking advantage of Fritz.

That and A&M must be footing some kind of bill, right?

Someone brought up the idea of having a UNT and Baylor camp but somebody was not a fan..... The idea was to get a 3rd string player who didn't want to sit on the bench at a power school like Baylor and come try to start at UNT. I loved the idea but again.... Somebody..... Was not a fan of it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UTSA is running one of these with LSU here in Texas, correct? A&M and Tulane partnering up makes sense to me, for both parties. UTSA and Tulane are looking for 2 star kids that will tag along with the 3-5* kids going to these camps. Plus, if one of those higher rated kids decides that the big school they go to doesn't fit as well as they thought, then guess how benefits? Tulane and UTSA getting in the door for a transfer.

If I were at UNT and I knew these camps were happening, I'd call up Bob Stoops right now and partner up with him on Texas/Oklahoma camps. Littrell's OU ties and the fact that Stoops has sent players here would seem to make this a nice combo.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Someone brought up the idea of having a UNT and Baylor camp but somebody was not a fan..... The idea was to get a 3rd string player who didn't want to sit on the bench at a power school like Baylor and come try to start at UNT. I loved the idea but again.... Somebody..... Was not a fan of it.

Well yeah - seems neglectful to willingly expose our kids to that many rapists, even if it is a controlled environment.

• Upvote 6

47 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I like this idea as well.  

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

This makes ZERO sense.  You don't get a scholarship offer from Baylor with them saying, "We can't wait for you to be a '3rd string player' for us.  Here's your free ride!"

When a bunch of high school dudes show up at a Baylor camp, there are no "3rd string players".   Everyone there believes they can be the next RGIII.   So, have NT tag along... sure.   But the players are there for Baylor to see them.   If they get an offer from UNT, and NOT from Baylor, they're going to walk away disappointed and with a sour taste for UNT.  No matter how well our coaches treated them.

...Just like these players will show up for the A&M attention.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This makes ZERO sense.  You don't get a scholarship offer from Baylor with them saying, "We can't wait for you to be a '3rd string player' for us.  Here's your free ride!"

When a bunch of high school dudes show up at a Baylor camp, there are no "3rd string players".   Everyone there believes they can be the next RGIII.   So, have NT tag along... sure.   But the players are there for Baylor to see them.   If they get an offer from UNT, and NOT from Baylor, they're going to walk away disappointed and with a sour taste for UNT.  No matter how well our coaches treated them.

...Just like these players will show up for the A&M attention.

That is not true a lot of players choose a power house team and then after a year or two transfer. Why not catch them now and reel them? The talent at a football camp headed by Baylor would be far better than any little camp we would hold here. Even if you only get one or two young men to look at UNT it can still be a win. 

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

That is not true a lot of players choose a power house team and then after a year or two transfer. Why not catch them now and reel them? The talent at a football camp headed by Baylor would be far better than any little camp we would hold here. Even if you only get one or two young men to look at UNT it can still be a win. 

You hold your own camp so that you can recruit and "wow" these young men in a captive audience environment.  Sure, Baylor (or aTm, or LSU, or whomever) could always recruit them afterwards and sway them...but you don't give them to opportunity to do so WHILE you are trying to get them to fall in love with NT.  Though it is rare, it is not unheard of to see a kid say things like "I fell in love with school A and know that this is where I belong...I'm done with the process" or "I committed to school A and I am going to honor that even though big school B is now sniffing around".  We can only be that school A if we get them here for some one on one time.  

I can only assume you bring along stronger, better looking guys on your dates...you know, because she might go home with him but eventually she'll get tired off the banging the alpha male and call you..  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1