UNT potentially partnering with Dallas Cowboys

UNT90

" Officials said in the briefing that the sponsorship deal will help “expand overall awareness” of UNT and the Frisco site in particular."

Seriously?  Expand awareness of UNT?  We've been around since 1890.  Get freaking serious with football, and men's and women's basketball and you wouldn't need Jerry Jones!

Sigh.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Different pots of money.  One is for marketing the university as a whole and the other is Athletics. Given donors dropped at least a million for McCarney's buyout, it's not a huge shock that the well dried up to buy out a second coach's contract within the same season. Of course we could have reversed it around and dropped Benford and kept McCarney and likely saved at least half a million but the FB program would have tanked for another year.

Choices.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Different pots of money.  One is for marketing the university as a whole and the other is Athletics. Given donors dropped at least a million for McCarney's buyout, it's not a huge shock that the well dried up to buy out a second coach's contract within the same season. Of course we could have reversed it around and dropped Benford and kept McCarney and likely saved at least half a million but the FB program would have tanked for another year.

Choices.

Backup that someone donated $1m for McCarney's buyout.  Not sure they didn't. but I have never seen anything to back it up plus NT sure isn't acting like someone other than the AD department is picking up the tab. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Backup that someone donated $1m for McCarney's buyout.  Not sure they didn't. but I have never seen anything to back it up plus NT sure isn't acting like someone other than the AD department is picking up the tab. 

I heard the money came from donors to make Coach Mac go away. To say otherwise means the AD budgeted to make him go away before the season even started unless the university started shuffling the deck to come up with whatever amount was needed to make him go away.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Choices.

Yeah, and who the hell is responsible for all of this BS? Riddle me effin that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

23 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I heard the money came from donors to make Coach Mac go away. To say otherwise means the AD budgeted to make him go away before the season even started unless the university started shuffling the deck to come up with whatever amount was needed to make him go away.

And I heard years ago the we were bejng considered for the Big XII.  Seriously.  Doesn't make it correct.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Not sure where you are going with the budgeting angle.   You know it is highly unlikely that Mac has got anything but his monthly check, problem that will continue until his contract runs out.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Choices.

This is so much crap. UNT has the money to dump both the Hattiesburg Hustler and Benford. They just chose not to do so. 

UNT chose not to spend money to improve athletics, a choice they have consistently made decade after decade after decade. 

I can't believe you guys continue to lie to yourselves when the overwhelming evidence is that UNT just doesn't care about athletics and never, ever will.

Money can be moved around from department to department. The will has to be there to do so. UNT has never and will never have that will where athletics is concerned.

Maybe UNT can just claim the Cowboys as their team and drop football all together.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 15

18 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

This is so much crap. UNT has the money to dump both the Hattiesburg Hustler and Benford. They just chose not to do so. 

UNT chose not to spend money to improve athletics, a choice they have consistently made decade after decade after decade. 

I can't believe you guys continue to lie to yourselves when the overwhelming evidence is that UNT just doesn't care about athletics and never, ever will.

Money can be moved around from department to department. The will has to be there to do so. UNT has never and will never have that will where athletics us concerned.

Maybe UNT can just claim the Cowboys as their team and drop football all together.

UNT chose not to spend money? Maybe not on your agenda! Facilities and MC's buyout proves you to be wrong again! GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

UNT chose not to spend money? Maybe not on your agenda! Facilities and MC's buyout proves you to be wrong again! GMG

I know you have an unhealthy dislike for 90, but I thought he was pretty clear in that post that he was talking about the money it would have taken to dump Benford and RV.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

26 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Money can be moved around from department to department. The will has to be there to do so. UNT has never and will never have that will where athletics us concerned.

Then why do we even bother posting? It's over. Finito. Kaput. I guess we should just let sleeping dogs lie, and we might as well stop beating that old dead horse too.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Choices.

325k could be made up with one or two guarantee basketball games. Not to mention that there's a decent chance Benford finds employment for his last contract year, mitigating the total amount UNT would owe him...

Just now, Army of Dad said:

325k could be made up with one or two guarantee basketball games. Not to mention that there's a decent chance Benford finds employment for his last contract year, mitigating the total amount UNT would owe him...

Yes, someone would likely want him as an assistant for recruiting purposes, and it's pretty clear that recruiting is what he does best. On the other hand he might prefer to take a year off and hang on the beach on our dime.

8 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Choices.

I don't understand why people don't get this.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Rah rah rah, sis boom bah.

And UNT will win 8, right? 

Mac's buyout was protection for the Hattiesburg Hustler. The football team had just lost by 59 to an FCS that the Hattiesburg Hustler scheduled. Blame shifting needed to occur and occur quickly. Instead of addressing the real problem, the lowest man on the pole was blamed for institutional failure to cover asses. Not uncommon in government management. 

As far as facilities, most was done by the students. Even after the students called for great things with that vote, UNT allowed the athletic fee to be dumbed down in the State Legislature. Because they don't and never will care about athletics. 

At this point, there is no point in continuing the fee. It changes nothing. Losing is losing, whether it's done at Apogee or Fouts. 

20 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Because accounting scandals keep you from having baseball? That's one line that's been trotted out...

Yep.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 14

34 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Because accounting scandals keep you from having baseball? That's one line that's been trotted out...

When you probably have to ask to take out bonds for construction of a multi-million-dollar stadium (because if you can prove any sort of academic use at the facility, like say, Sports broadcast journalism class use, you can have up to 1/2 of the stadium funded by general university funds), and your entire University is under a microscope, yeah.

When you use private funds to pay off a fired coach, it doesn't matter.  Problem is, we don't have enough private funds to do everything we need to do.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I do remember a picture of 3 men holding presentation checks amounting to $3.25M at halftime of the game Mac was fired after. Irony?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So, let me get this straight, you (UNT90) start a thread, hijack your own thread and turn it towards your hatred of all things RV/UNT Athletics.  Interesting.  Sad, but interesting.

Regarding the sponsorship and original topic of this thread, this is a great deal that will bring more exposure to UNT.  Some of you act like we should just stop these efforts because we've been around since 1890, but then you would bitch and moan if this sponsorship went to another university claiming our administration was just sitting on their hands.  SMH.  This is a great deal and will attract a number of students to these majors that will have the opportunity to work/intern the Cowboys.  UH has a similar arrangement with Hilton hotels and it is a major attraction for their hospitality management program.

I think the possibilities are exciting.  We all know Jerrah likes to be associated with a winner.  Could he become our Boone Pickens?   You never know, but I bet gets involved to some degree.  Great job UNT and to the staff member that initiated this idea.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

When you probably have to ask to take out bonds for construction of a multi-million-dollar stadium (because if you can prove any sort of academic use at the facility, like say, Sports broadcast journalism class use, you can have up to 1/2 of the stadium funded by general university funds), and your entire University is under a microscope, yeah.

When you use private funds to pay off a fired coach, it doesn't matter.  Problem is, we don't have enough private funds to do everything we need to do.

That seems generally logical, but here's a counterpoint you may not have considered while typing your response:

Handsome Hattiesburg Hustler hustlin' humongous hangin' huckleberries however hideously he harvests hence.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2