MGB: UNT men's hoops in mix for UALR grad transfer

Some of this turnover is just the way of the world in basketball these days.  I like that they are trying to tweak the roster -- they need to.  Our bench was horrendous last year.   As far as this kid, I like his height and length.  Looks like he can shoot the three a bit.  I personally would prefer  a big banger who can pull down more boards and take up more space and give Combs a break.  I don't get the criticism on making changes to last years team however.  It needed tinkering.

On May 16, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Harry said:

Some of this turnover is just the way of the world in basketball these days.  I like that they are trying to tweak the roster -- they need to.  Our bench was horrendous last year.   As far as this kid, I like his height and length.  Looks like he can shoot the three a bit.  I personally would prefer  a big banger who can pull down more boards and take up more space and give Combs a break.  I don't get the criticism on making changes to last years team however.  It needed tinkering.

'Tinker' isn't the verb I would choose, 'churn' is much more fitting. 

I've made all but a handful of home games during the course of the Benford era and I've had to reference a game sheet to try and keep up deep every season post TM. Transfers happen more now in college basketball than they used to, but this much turnover isn't good, IMO. 

Edited by Army of Dad

20 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

'Tinker' isn't the verb I would choose, 'churn' is much more fitting. 

Move made all but a handful of home games during the course of the Benford era and I've had to reference a game sheet to try and keep up deep every season post TM. Transfers happen more now in college basketball than they used to, but this much turnover isn't good, IMO. 

Also, when you're grabbing dudes from all over the country, you're not going to hit on all of them.   Need to find more dudes from DFW/Texas, so they stand a higher chance of staying here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Most coaches now like Benford will dump kids to get potential better ones and other programs fans I assume don't have any problems following the team.   Jones was the exception when he was here, not the norm.  

However, I have wondered why this seems much more acceptable in basketball than football.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Most coaches now like Benford will dump kids to get potential better ones and other programs fans I assume don't have any problems following the team.   Jones was the exception when he was here, not the norm.  

However, I have wondered why this seems much more acceptable in basketball than football.  

Problem is Benford does it without any team improvement.

Ever.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Simply because of the scholarship numbers available. (13 to 85)  The hope is that 1 or 2 guys can or will turn a program around in basketball (or be a key contributor) There is also not as much development in basketball from a kid's fr year to sr year. You generally know early if a kid can play or not. The player also realizes early his chances of playing.  Why keep a kid around that's at the end of your bench? If you're a competitive kid, why hang around if you can't crack the top 10?.

There are 3 times as many D1 programs in basketball for kids to transfer to. Kids are allowed to leave for the NBA after their freshman year compared to football where they must wait 2 before bolting to the NFL. 

It generally takes 4-5 years to turn a bad football program around, whereas, maybe 2-3 in basketball. Coaches seem to feel more pressure to win sooner in hoops.

I think coaches owe it to their players to be realistic about playing time. If a kid has graduated or is a cancer, they should mutually part ways. Running off a few kids in football will not make as great a difference in the numbers. Besides, injuries are more prevalent; where depth is needed more. Bench players in football can be looked to for special teams help. 

Currently over 600 (All levels)

http://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2016

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

It wouldn't matter if the kid that made the championship winning shot for Villanova transferred here...the same coach is here to get his next $325k.

I still believe that Benford's line in the sand to get an extension is a lot less than anyone wants to imagine here (except UNT90, of course), especially if RV gets one, too, with that extension. A .500 record will do, I'm afraid, even though I wouldn't retain him at all unless we win games in a postseason tournament that doesn't require a buy-in.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2