'17 DT Junius King (Mesquite Horn)

4_4431810.jpg

Junius King

Mesquite, TX (Horn)

Defensive Tackle

Ht 6-1

Wt 302

We have offered and are his first offer. Kid has burst and a great motor. I think he would be a nice addition to the DL rotation. Hopefully Seth and staff can land this sleeper IMO from Horn.

http://247sports.com/Player/Junius-King-90768

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4080807/highlights/324512426

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

To the right of his 247sports rating of .7709, there are three small dots, out of five, highlighted in yellow.  What do these mean?

The three out of small dots I believe is a meter showing the percentage/quantity or some amount of services used to come up with the index. The more"full" the meter, the more complete the list of services used to come up with the composite.

If you look at a list of prospects, it's red instead of yellow:

Just a cursory glance around shows that the number of bars (or pips iyam) does not typically correlate with rating

A composite strength meter, indicated by red bars, illustrates the total number of industry services that have ranked the prospect. A full strength meter indicates the prospect has been ranked by all industry services participating in the composite.

• Upvote 1

Kid really seems to have his head on straight. 

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Any idea why a 6A metroplex All-District player has such a light offer sheet? Seems the talent and offers are mismatched.

Honestly, he is listed at 6'1 he is probably closer to the high end of 5'11" or low end of 6' because he uses his hands really well and any 6'1" 300 lb dude who uses his hands as good as this guy would easily be a big 12/ sec type kid.  I am going to keep looking to see if I can find anything else on him.  

He plays all along the DL for Horn as a kids height is much less of an issue in HS as it is at the next level.  

Also a really good edit here. 

• Upvote 6

40 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Honestly, he is listed at 6'1 he is probably closer to the high end of 5'11" or low end of 6' because he uses his hands really well and any 6'1" 300 lb dude who uses his hands as good as this guy would easily be a big 12/ sec type kid.  I am going to keep looking to see if I can find anything else on him.  

He plays all along the DL for Horn as a kids height is much less of an issue in HS as it is at the next level.  

That is a sick edit. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Any idea why a 6A metroplex All-District player has such a light offer sheet? Seems the talent and offers are mismatched.

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I agree with the information about the size, that he probably shorter and maybe alot shorter possibly. I wonder if schools think he will only put on more weight and not grow in height. I agree with JayD that this kid could be a huge sleeper, and I think he has gotten passed over because of other bigger schools in the area(not sure how Horn ranks in term of record,etc.). To me, this kid is a Brandon Kennedy-space eating player, but he seems to have the ability to rush from the inside as well. Just going to say in 2/3 years.. can you image if this kid and english turn out as hoped. that is alot of beef in the middle of the DLine. 

Also, I remember a random post on here with a top 10/20/25 of players in the State of Tx or in the DFW that had not commited anyplace, was King on that list? Hopefully someone remembers the post I'm talking about as well.

1 minute ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

I agree with the information about the size, that he probably shorter and maybe alot shorter possibly. I wonder if schools think he will only put on more weight and not grow in height. I agree with JayD that this kid could be a huge sleeper, and I think he has gotten passed over because of other bigger schools in the area(not sure how Horn ranks in term of record,etc.). To me, this kid is a Brandon Kennedy-space eating player, but he seems to have the ability to rush from the inside as well. Just going to say in 2/3 years.. can you image if this kid and english turn out as hoped. that is alot of beef in the middle of the DLine. 

This school is heavily scouted by P5s and G5s alike. This kid WAS NOT overlooked. And unless he is Brandon Kennedy sized (5'9" or less), schools would still be interested in an all-district 300lb plus NT.

Height isn't important at that position. 

• Upvote 1

I was just reading his info on scouts and apparently the DT next to him is going to TCU, I wonder if schools believe he was given less attention because of the guy next to him? I hadn't heard of Horn till this kid it was a HS that got overlooked. While height isn't important I think schools would like that, also he could have been a back up target for bigger schools instead of being a priority for us?

Could be schools are scared off by the size and how teams run the spread now?

• Upvote 1

Even if there are potential qualifying issues at play here, and that's a big if, extending an offer and receiving a commitment from a kid that has not qualified yet does not seem to have a huge downside (Marshall has leveraged this approach for years).  Lots of time between now and August 2017 to take care of business.

4 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Sign every short 5'11" to 6' 300lb plus DT that can move! Then put in the 6' 4" DE and hybrid! I am good with that! A Eck of a job! GMG 

4 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Note the name of Tyrone Middleton missing from that list.  Not sure of his status.

3 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Even if there are potential qualifying issues at play here, and that's a big if, extending an offer and receiving a commitment from a kid that has not qualified yet does not seem to have a huge downside (Marshall has leveraged this approach for years).  Lots of time between now and August 2017 to take care of business.

Oh, I agree. It's a path we HAVE to take right now. I'm just surprised some other G5s aren't also taking that path and am curious why. 

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Sign every short 5'11" to 6' 300lb plus DT that can move! Then put in the 6' 4" DE and hybrid! I am good with that! A Eck of a job! GMG 

I don't think hieght is the issue...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Oh, I agree. It's a path we HAVE to take right now. I'm just surprised some other G5s aren't also taking that path and am curious why. 

I don't think hieght is the issue...

I do, could be arm length or hips, but his video is pretty damn impressive at the highest level of football going against similar sized athletes and certainly other D1 OL.  All things we can't truly evaluate on film and they'd see in person.  Yes he was on the top 20 under rated players in the state and was pretty high on the list.   I am a liar he was not on this list. 

http://texas.247sports.com/ContentGallery/A-look-at-the-states-best-under-the-radar-recruits--45689795

Edited by GMG24

People when we recruited a guy by the name of Brandon (Booger) Kennedy he was All-District his soph & junior years. He only had firm

offers from FCS(AA) teams with interest from some (1-A) FBS because he still didn't have SAT or ACT scores I assured them that would not be a problem.

I believe this staff is as competent as that and checked his academic status so everyone chill.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ttunt1970 said:

People when we recruited a guy by the name of Brandon (Booger) Kennedy he was All-District his soph & junior years. He only had firm

offers from FCS(AA) teams with interest from some (1-A) FBS because he still didn't have SAT or ACT scores I assured them that would not be a problem.

I believe this staff is as competent as that and checked his academic status so everyone chill.

I really don't care if he currently has academic work to do, just curious if it's that or something else, that is all.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3