Joe Paterno knew of Jerry Sandusky sex abuse as early as 1976

Even in Joe Paterno’s last days, the iconic college football coach maintained his innocence in the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal at Penn State.

A report published Thursday by PennLive.com offers new evidence Paterno might have first heard about accusations that his former defensive coordinator was molesting children as early as 1976.

Described as “a new bombshell” in the Sandusky saga, the report references a court order on a related insurance coverage case involving the more than $60 million the university has paid out in civil claims filed by victims of Sandusky’s child molesting crimes. Penn State is seeking reimbursement for those settlements from its insurance carriers.

According to PennLive, the court order contains claims by one of Penn State’s insurers that “in 1976, a child allegedly reported to PSU’s Head Coach Joseph Paterno that he (the child) was sexually molested by Sandusky.”

“The order also cites separate references in 1987 and 1988 in which unnamed assistant coaches witnessed inappropriate contact between Sandusky and unidentified children, and a 1988 case that was supposedly referred to Penn State’s athletic director at the time,” the Penn Live report says.

read more: https://news.google.com/news?tab=wn&ei=wAcsV7PJLoXxmQHxjovgBg&ved=0EKkuCAUoBQ#ampviewer

4 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Meh, you know the fight over millions will continue. Joe deserves to have his name drug through the mud, IMO.

I think the Penn State is in damage control has opted to deflect as much blame toward Joe as they can over money, if Joe truly knew screw him but the benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

13 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Meh, you know the fight over millions will continue. Joe deserves to have his name drug through the mud, IMO.

This isn't some tiny thing like player misconduct at the "I stole textbooks" level. Paterno messed up so badly that even death shouldn't be able to save his reputation. Too bad it's a smear on a lot of other good people not related to this mess.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I notice Penn State isn't saying they will bring the statute back yet

Key word. 

Yes, let's put a statute back up of a guy who wrecked the lives of hundreds of children and pretend he is still an icon. 

What a shitty university, alumni base, and community. I wish all 3 nothing but failure. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Key word. 

Yes, let's put a statute back up of a guy who wrecked the lives of hundreds of children and pretend he is still an icon. 

You mean like statues of some of our slave holding founding fathers, who may have raped their slaves...fathering others and then keeping those in bondage as well?

Plenty of noteworthy people through history have done some despicable things and still have buildings named after them and/or statues/memorials in their honor.  I am not in favor of taking down any monuments based on whatever bad things "great" people have done because it is a very slippery slope you open yourself up to.  I love Thomas Jefferson...but he did some pretty crap stuff.  So did many other people we remember with various memorials.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

On 7/6/2016 at 8:06 AM, UNT90 said:

Key word. 

What a shitty university, alumni base, and community. I wish all 3 nothing but failure. 

Wagner is still performed in Israel.  Thoughts?

• Upvote 1