Praise in public, criticize in private

UNT90

15 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

It's not supernatural that this board would slow down during the offseason. Especially following football and basketball seasons that were to say the least an embarrassment to the university, Denton, the students, the fans, the State of Texas, and every single alumni.

True. I wonder how many come back. Both to the board and to UNT athletics. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

The athletic department has sucked for quite a while. The board has only sucked for a little while. 

Everyone has their limits.

Too much losing and retaining the individuals responsible is killing the fanbase. This happens everywhere when to losing goes on too long.

UNT is special in many ways, but the reaction to the uber futility seen here isn't one of them.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Everyone has their limits.

Too much losing and retaining the individuals responsible is killing the fanbase. This happens everywhere when to losing goes on too long.

UNT is special in many ways, but the reaction to the uber futility seen here isn't one of them.

I can handle the losing. I can't handle the university doing absolutely nothing to correct the problem.

If RV had been fired in 2012 after the disasterous Benford hire, I would still be on board. If RV had been fired (as he absolutely should have been) after Portland St. 66 UNT 7, The worst loss in modern college football history, I would have remained on board.

The problem is Rick Villarreal will leave UNT when he is damn well ready and not before. He has quit as AD and is simply collecting a check. His quotes in the article leading up to UTSA illustrate that and provide yet another reason he should be fired. 

If the university cared about UNT athletics, maybe I would, also. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

15 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I can handle the losing. I can't handle the university doing absolutely nothing to correct the problem.

If RV had been fired in 2012 after the disasterous Benford hire, I would still be on board. If RV had been fired (as he absolutely should have been) after Portland St. 66 UNT 7, The worst loss in modern college football history, I would have remained on board.

The problem is Rick Villarreal will leave UNT when he is damn well ready and not before. He has quit as AD and is simply collecting a check. His quotes in the article leading up to UTSA illustrate that and provide yet another reason he should be fired. 

If the university cared about UNT athletics, maybe I would, also. 

That loss did it for me too. After Portland State RV fired Mac on the spot. RV should have been fired on the spot too. There has to be accountability. College sports is a tough business and everyone involved knows it. RV should be history because of his history. UNT Athletic Administrators need accountability. We demand it of our student athletes at every turn but not their leadership. This culture has to change immediately.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

That loss did it for me too. After Portland State RV fired Mac on the spot. RV should have been fired on the spot too. There has to be accountability. College sports is a tough business and everyone involved knows it. RV should be history because of his history. UNT Athletic Administrators need accountability. We demand it of our student athletes at every turn but not their leadership. This culture has to change immediately.

RV not leaving is a huge hit, hard to recover from. 

The offseason is always slow.

How could Benford possibly still be here????

UNT knows how to kill their top sports better than any University I have ever heard of. 

I have never felt this hopeless for the Future of our Football program. 

17 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

I have never felt this hopeless for the Future of our Football program. 

And I think this is why traffic is down. And those that gripe about the tone of the board either don't want to hear the bitter truth or actually feel this way themselves and lash out because of it. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

as long as i'm in the area, i don't see myself leaving...i'm not a fan of what's going on in the AD with the ad staying on despite numerous shitterific hires, but i love tailgating, being at the games, and just shooting the shit with folks...granted, there were many fewer folks this past year, but it's a nice escape on a saturday (thursday) to get outside and drink copious amounts of the beast...

i guess i'm one of the blind followers...i don't want to quit tailgating or lose where my seats are...the amount of cash i give for what i get in return is worth it to me... 

• Upvote 3

RV's performance can't get any lower so I am not sure what else he has to fail at to be gone. It's a disgrace and an absolute embarrassment to the University. Just by listening to interviews of Littrell I don't think he will stand for it long either. Granted, he's getting paid more than he has ever been paid in his life and money does talk so he's got that going for him. I'm just not sure what kind of state the football program is in. We all know the recent history of over the last decade of so. We all know that we have been noncompetitive in basketball and football for years now. We all know that MGC membership is a joke as well as macro donorship.  These are the knowns. What we don't know is what plan is in place to fix some or any of it. We don't even know if there actually is a real plan in place to fix just 1 thing. Some are oblivious to it. Some don't care about it. Some are blinded by it. And some are pissed off about it. When I talk to North Texas fans that I have never met before I can't even understand their overall feel of the program. It's just general sentiments mixed with wishful thinking. We, the alums and donors, are treated like mushrooms by the athletic department. Fed shit and kept in the dark. By doing that, the average fan can't see the problem and they don't really know what to look for when even looking for a problem. The casuals just see and usually from afar a crappy product on the field and don't know or care to know why it continues to happen. The diehards know the root of the problem and the secondary issues associated such as minimal donating levels, recruiting battles lost, recruiting classes being annually below par, every quality assistant coach leaving at the jump of any opportunity regardless of the performance of the team, extremely limited marketing efforts (One tiny Ex: Angry Birds the Movie replaced Seth Littrell on the billboard on Loop 288 in Denton), minimal merchandising rights given to vendors, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. This place is an absolute uphill battle given the leadership at the helm. There is no way around it either. This is not bitching, these are the concerns. The concerns of an apparent dying fan base. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

37 minutes ago, THOR said:

as long as i'm in the area, i don't see myself leaving...i'm not a fan of what's going on in the AD with the ad staying on despite numerous shitterific hires, but i love tailgating, being at the games, and just shooting the shit with folks...granted, there were many fewer folks this past year, but it's a nice escape on a saturday (thursday) to get outside and drink copious amounts of the beast...

i guess i'm one of the blind followers...i don't want to quit tailgating or lose where my seats are...the amount of cash i give for what i get in return is worth it to me... 

I understand, and I'll be tailgating some of the games, just don't have to go in if I don't want to. 

7 minutes ago, Aldo said:

You know how I keep going? Rick Villareal's contract is up in mere months. 

I know it's double digits still (probably), but stay with me. Months.

Months.

We can make it together.

kmoSHHZ8UuPVm.gif

His contract runs through 2018. Also, he was hired in 1999, right? He wants that 20 year retirement. He won't leave until he gets it. 

And I don't think his time at TCU counts toward retirement as TCU is a or are university, damnit!!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

His contract runs through 2018. Also, he was hired in 1999, right? He wants that 20 year retirement. He won't leave until he gets it.

Months, dammit. Don't take it away from me.

8 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I understand, and I'll be tailgating some of the games, just don't have to go in if I don't want to. 

You can always join our group...I'll always go in, but may not stay long...

5 minutes ago, THOR said:

You can always join our group...I'll always go in, but may not stay long...

Gotta stay with my peeps. The $20 I spend on UNT athletics this year will be for a blue lot parking pass to do just that.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Gotta stay with my peeps. The $20 I spend on UNT athletics this year will be for a blue lot parking pass to do just that.

Do I have to buy a season ticket to purchase a parking pass?

9 hours ago, Aldo said:

You know how I keep going? Rick Villareal's contract is up in mere months. 

I know it's double digits still (probably), but stay with me. Months.

Months.

We can make it together.

kmoSHHZ8UuPVm.gif

You know, ten years is a mere 120 months...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

You know, ten years is a mere 120 months...

True.  If you're 45, you'll be 55 in ten years.  And still waiting for UNT football, basketball, etc., to win a Conference Championship.  I'll probably be pushing a walker.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Do I have to buy a season ticket to purchase a parking pass?

That's an interesting question.  I know that in theory I can buy guest passes to the club, but I have no idea if I'm able to purchase extra parking passes, and if so, must they be coupled with extra tickets?  I'd call the ticket office and ask, but, I've only got so many years remaining to live on this planet and getting the answer might exceed that.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UNT90 said:

And I don't think his time at TCU counts toward retirement as TCU is a or are university, damnit!!

He was hired in Spring 2001, I was there in Fall 2000 Helwig firing, Stallings Athletics report and the Trilli firing, and the tennis Coaching change that  took place that spring.

11 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

That's an interesting question.  I know that in theory I can buy guest passes to the club, but I have no idea if I'm able to purchase extra parking passes, and if so, must they be coupled with extra tickets?  I'd call the ticket office and ask, but, I've only got so many years remaining to live on this planet and getting the answer might exceed that.

You can purchase one EXTRA blue or red lot pass for the season if you own 2 club seats. Hell, this year they may let you purchase as many as you want as the season gets closer, considering the revenue they are going to be losing.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2