CTE/ Brain Trama

On May 5, 2016 at 8:14 AM, UNT90 said:

Antidotal, but Junior Seau would disagree with this theory.

Physics doesn't discriminate between offense and defense.

Get rid of helmets and you'll get rid of concussions. Sounds counter intuitive doesn't it? But in trying to protect people the game actually became more violent. Broken noses, jaws may have been prevalent during the leather helmet days but I can almost guarantee concussions were far less common than today. Why? because you didn't lead with your head and there wasn't the reckless abandon the way there has been in modern football. 

It would be interesting to see the ratio between American football (helmets) and Rugby (no helmets) vis a vis CTE.

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, adman said:

Get rid of helmets and you'll get rid of concussions. Sounds counter intuitive doesn't it? But in trying to protect people the game actually became more violent. Broken noses, jaws may have been prevalent during the leather helmet days but I can almost guarantee concussions were far less common than today. Why? because you didn't lead with your head and there wasn't the reckless abandon the way there has been in modern football. 

It would be interesting to see the ratio between American football (helmets) and Rugby (no helmets) vis a vis CTE.

So much truth in this post  

22 hours ago, adman said:

No doubt. You would still have incidental head collisions, but using the head as a weapon would cease immediately, self preservation and all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The boxing profession is the first place that noticed this phenomenon, only they called it being "punchy" or "Punch drunk". In popular media these "punchy" guys were being taken care of by the industry by providing them with menial jobs at gyms etc. I suspect that the truth is more along the lines of kicking them to the curb. 

I hope our society is serious about this situation, because the number of football teams in America keeps going up and up. Especially in the ever growing suburban areas. CTE will not be the exclusive problem of pro/college football teams and players' families, but our society as a whole. For every Junior Seau out there, there are thousands of others who will potentially develop the same brain deteriorating condition. Some earlier and some later. But regardless of the timeline, someone's family, and eventually their community, will be impacted by these (at the risk of sounding over dramatic) walking time bombs. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

On 5/7/2016 at 10:48 AM, UNTLifer said:

Good question. I guess my assumption with Junior is in relation to his suicide. Then again, steroid use has led to bigger, faster athletes which led to bigger, faster collisions and the trend to knock people over instead of tackling them. Kids follow what they see the pros do and many coaches look the other way regarding how players get bigger and stronger. 

According to Boston Univeristy, It's the small repetitive head impacts that lead to CTE, not the concussions. Concussions still pay an effect, but not to the effect the small repetitive hits to the head.  

Agan, that's how I interpreted the medical review. 

20 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

The boxing profession is first place that noticed this phenomenon, only they called it being "punchy" or "Punch drunk". In popular media these "punchy" guys were being taken care of by the industry by providing them with menial jobs at gyms etc. I suspect that the truth is more along the lines of kicking them to the curb. 

I hope our society is serious about this situation, because the number of football teams in America keeps going up and up. Especially in the ever growing suburban areas. CTE will not be the exclusive problem of pro/college football teams and players' families, but our society as a whole. For every Junior Seau out there, there are thousands of others who will potentially develop the same brain deteriorating condition. Some earlier and some later. But regardless of the timeline, someone's family, and eventually their community, will be impacted by these (at the risk of sounding over dramatic) walking time bombs. 

So much truth in this post.  That's why I believe we can still have a civil thread about something other than what directly impacts UNT, but as a society as a whole.