Sir Calvin Wallace

UNTLifer

He will be replaced with someone who will outperform him..... and it won't be hard to do so.

The guy had .5 TFL last year, 19 Total Tackles with 9 solo

These are the types of players that if they can't perform after this long need to hit the road.  He got a degree out of it and we got mediocrity on the field.

32 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Weird...just watched this movie last night on netflix.

It's a good flick. 

As to SCW...he really did a good job of selling us on the notion that he just wanted to graduate and get on with post-football life. 

At 5-7, USA was a ball hair away from bowl qualification last year...or, were they?  A closer look shows that they were 5-4 going into their final three games.  They lost those three in a row to Georgia State, Georgia Southern, and Appalachian State.  One of their other wins was the season opener against FCS Gardner-Webb.

Not sure SCW is upgrading that much here.  At least he'll be accustomed to losing.  This season USA plays Mississippi State and LSU.  They also will face San Diego State, last season's Mountain West Conference champion, who went 11-3 in 2015.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UNT1909 said:

Maybe SCW is not the problem.

True, he'd be going from one poor defense to another, USA being ranked #83 in total defense in 2015.  Perhaps he just wanted a different losing environment.  Congratulations to him:  he found it. 

But, why not just say, I want to graduate and play another year somewhere else?  Instead of, hey, it was fun, but I'm going to graduate and go get a job.  Just be honest, right?  Many college football players do that.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Not sure SCW is upgrading that much here.  At least he'll be accustomed to losing.  

31 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Perhaps he just wanted a different losing environment.  Congratulations to him:  he found it. 

Jesus man, did he kick your dog or something?

Congrats to him, and hope for the best for him in life. Go Mean Green.

33 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

But, why not just say, I want to graduate and play another year somewhere else?  Instead of, hey, it was fun, but I'm going to graduate and go get a job.  Just be honest, right?  Many college football players do that.

Be sure and let Alec Morris know how you feel.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

Jesus man, did he kick your dog or something?

Congrats to him, and hope for the best for him in life. Go Mean Green.

Be sure and let Alec Morris know how you feel.

The situations aren't the same.  Alec Morris told the Tide he was seeking a transfer; Wallace said he was giving up his final year of eligibility, and said nothing about transferring to another school.  Different approaches. 

• Upvote 3

Alec was set to be a third string QB again and was open about his desire to compete for a starting job and do it closer to home.  SCW was set to be a starter and news reports led us, as fans, to believe he had his degree and was moving on to career pursuits outside of football.  I sure would like to hear his explanation.  Perhaps he wasn't jiving with the new staff, players, other issues?  Anyway, surprising move, but a good reminder we don't know what is going on behind the scenes.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

He stuck it out through 4 years of Mac.  That is at least something.  Wish he would have stayed, but probably just wants a change of scenery after the last couple of years.

I hear there are no sweatervests in  Alabama.

Some weird state law...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

Geez, some of you get upset over this, maybe he wants to get out of Texas for a year to see what it is like to be elsewhere. There are many times starters use their last year to get a change. Don't hate on this guy, he says nothing but good things about NT on his twitter

Now, time to clear up some inaccuracies.

8 hours ago, foutsrouts said:

I was always under the impression that he wasn't a hard enough worker to excel at defensive tackle. It takes more than a big body. Bye bye.

Looks like he has pretty good athleticism to go with that "big body".

6 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

As to SCW...he really did a good job of selling us on the notion that he just wanted to graduate and get on with post-football life. 

6 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

3 hours ago, Big E said:

Alec was set to be a third string QB again and was open about his desire to compete for a starting job and do it closer to home.  SCW was set to be a starter and news reports led us, as fans, to believe he had his degree and was moving on to career pursuits outside of football.  I sure would like to hear his explanation.  Perhaps he wasn't jiving with the new staff, players, other issues?  Anyway, surprising move, but a good reminder we don't know what is going on behind the scenes.

Z-ro never said he was going to work, Vito only reported, "Wallace graduated from UNT and decided not to return for his final year of eligibility". You all just assumed he was giving up football, that was never reported, just assumed.

4 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

The situations aren't the same.  Alec Morris told the Tide he was seeking a transfer; Wallace said he was giving up his final year of eligibility, and said nothing about transferring to another school.  Different approaches. 

We don't know that Morris told the Tide anything, perhaps Saban or Joey Freshwater suggested he leave since he was one of 5 quarterbacks in Tuscaloosa, the only senior of the 5, and only had one pass attempt in 4 years. We do know that he didn't come clean when directly asked about it at the Cotton Bowl.

Former Allen quarterback and current Alabama backup Alec Morris declined to address his future Tuesday, hours after the Denton Record-Chronicle reported on its Mean Green Blog that he has received his release from Alabama and is strongly considering transferring to North Texas. “Let me help you out,” Morris said Tuesday during Alabama’s press conference in advance of the Cotton Bowl on Thursday in Arlington. “If you have any questions about Alabama, the Cotton Bowl or questions about the game, I’d be happy to answer those.”

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 7

Good luck to Calvin.  I think he would have helped this year and wonder about all the negative posts on his play.  If NT had someone better they would have got his minutes.  This graduate transfer business works both ways and frankly it is my believe that a graduate degree should come from a different institution than the undergraduate.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Holding onto Wallace is like keeping Benford. The guy has been here for 4 years and hasn't done anything on the field.  It's time to move on.  Simply, the kid doesn't know how to play.  That's not coming from me, that's coming from all of his former teammates. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

19 hours ago, All About UNT said:

He will be replaced with someone who will outperform him..... and it won't be hard to do so.

The guy had .5 TFL last year, 19 Total Tackles with 9 solo

These are the types of players that if they can't perform after this long need to hit the road.  He got a degree out of it and we got mediocrity on the field.

We also got really good grades from him (Student-Athlete)

• Upvote 3