Sir Calvin Wallace

UNTLifer

13 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Um...I'm not sure you understand the way these things work.  If he asked for his release, that means he was actively seeking a transfer and the school knew about it - hence, their release.  This was not the case with SCW.

These thing happen with regularity every year - players who want to transfer ask for releases, or player who want to use their first post-graduate year at another school, publicly seek other schools.  This, again, was not the case with SCW...unless you believe Brett Vito buried that part of the story.  I doubt he would bury something so simple because there is no reason to do so. 

All in all, the best answer yet has been the one that pointed out that he only had a half tackle for loss, and less than 20 tackles all season long.  That type of production isn't all-conference and could probably be surpassed in half a season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I felt like he was coming around during the second half of last season and in a position to help this year.

Actually his stats show that the first part of the season were more productive than the second.  

TJ and Austin Orr (esp Austin) came on strong in the second half of the season.  Losing Orr hurt far more than Wallace.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

You see the pattern:  player asks for release, school grants, player transfer.  SCW's story is:  I'm quitting football, thanks for the memories; no wait...I'm going to play for South Alabama.

And you found this quote where? 

And since you are so well informed, did DaMarcus Smith give up football to pursue life after it? You know in case later on we find out he'd done a great job selling us on the notion that he was moving on with his football life. And what about Darrien McNair, nobody ever said he was looking to play elsewhere, just that he went home to Florida. Please educate the masses.

P.S. I'm sorry that Sir Calvin stole your backpack.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

In the grand scheme of things, we - as a team - shouldn't be in a position where losing a grad transfer hurts us.

And at DT I really don't think we are hurt by this move.

We won't win any more, or lose any more games because of his transfer.

He's fulfilled his "student" part of student-athlete, which makes him eligible for transfer. If you don't think he's fulfilled the "athlete" part, well take it up with him and his old coaches.

There is no imaginary principle in place here that he's violating. He's not a recruit who's been committed for 2 years, and then says, whoops never mind I'm going to this other similarly talented place.

And even then, who gives af. We'll be fine.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Aldo said:

In the grand scheme of things, we - as a team - shouldn't be in a position where losing a grad transfer hurts us.

Actually any school can be hurt from graduate transferring.   This puts a kink in every team's decision to redshirt freshman players.  Or they going to get four years or just provide a seasoned player to some other school their last year of eligibility.  

I like the rule because it gives players the chance to transfer that can contribute more someplace else.  Most graduate transfers benefit the lower tier teams as they move to get more playing time, but there is nothing to keep a super star from transferring up.  

Um...I'm not sure you understand the way these things work.  If he asked for his release, that means he was actively seeking a transfer and the school knew about it - hence, their release.  This was not the case with SCW.

These thing happen with regularity every year - players who want to transfer ask for releases, or player who want to use their first post-graduate year at another school, publicly seek other schools.  This, again, was not the case with SCW...unless you believe Brett Vito buried that part of the story.  I doubt he would bury something so simple because there is no reason to do so. 

All in all, the best answer yet has been the one that pointed out that he only had a half tackle for loss, and less than 20 tackles all season long.  That type of production isn't all-conference and could probably be surpassed in half a season.

Why does that matter? Either way we knew he wouldn't be coming back and we never were counting on him returning. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

And you found this quote where? 

And since you are so well informed, did DaMarcus Smith give up football to pursue life after it? You know in case later on we find out he'd done a great job selling us on the notion that he was moving on with his football life. And what about Darrien McNair, nobody ever said he was looking to play elsewhere, just that he went home to Florida. Please educate the masses.

P.S. I'm sorry that Sir Calvin stole your backpack.

No one stole my backpack, thanks.  Just pointing out facts.  Kids who want to transfer are normally upfront about it to their current schools.  The definition of quit is easy - you stop doing something.  SCW stopped playing football for us.

DaMarcus and Darrien may yet end up at other schools.  We don't know.  We'll find out.  I suspect they'll end up at the same college as Dajon Williams - University of Sitting at Home on the Couch.

Was still on campus this spring.  No word in twitters about continuing football career anywhere.  Maybe Vito will work up a more in depth thing on what happened to change his mind about football.  Or, maybe not.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

No one stole my backpack, thanks.  Just pointing out facts.  Kids who want to transfer are normally upfront about it to their current schools.  The definition of quit is easy - you stop doing something.  SCW stopped playing football for us.

DaMarcus and Darrien may yet end up at other schools.  We don't know.  We'll find out.  I suspect they'll end up at the same college as Dajon Williams - University of Sitting at Home on the Couch.

Was still on campus this spring.  No word in twitters about continuing football career anywhere.  Maybe Vito will work up a more in depth thing on what happened to change his mind about football.  Or, maybe not.

How do you know he wasn't up front about it to Littrell and the other coaches? How do you know he didn't decide to leave when KP left? Were you this upset when Eli Howard up and left to be a walk-on at Tech rather than a scholarship player with us. He didn't exactly come forward, we just found out he was gone.

Dajon is at Commerce, I don't know if he is playing football but he is/was at Commerce because he had a photo of himself with a backpack on in front of a building with the TAMU-Commerce Lion logo last week.

Maybe he stayed on campus to be a regular student for a semester and get his degree. Maybe he knew he wanted to play again, maybe he didn't. He never said either publicly so we just don't know. You are just making assumptions on his behalf.

Yes, believe it or not when someone turns their back on the school I graduated from, I have some qualms with their motives.  With Eli Howard, you're really stretching, though.  He never played; SCW did play and likely would have started.  Howard also didn't say he was giving up football, then resurface at Texas Tech. 

As for Dajon...still not on Texas A&M-Commerce's roster.  So:  University of Sitting at Home on the Couch in Dallas versus University of Sitting at Home on the Couch in Commerce.  Not much a different other than the scenery outside the front door.

It makes no difference to me.  Dajon didn't want to put in the work here; and, apparently, doesn't want to put in the work at a D-II either.  That's fine.  You'd be hard pressed to find a coach at any level that puts up with their quarterbacks skipping the weight room, film room, and not studying the playbook.  That is a surprise to no one who knows anything about college football.

• Upvote 2

Yes, believe it or not when someone turns their back on the school I graduated from, I have some qualms with their motives.  With Eli Howard, you're really stretching, though.  He never played; SCW did play and likely would have started.  Howard also didn't say he was giving up football, then resurface at Texas Tech. 

As for Dajon...still not on Texas A&M-Commerce's roster.  So:  University of Sitting at Home on the Couch in Dallas versus University of Sitting at Home on the Couch in Commerce.  Not much a different other than the scenery outside the front door.

It makes no difference to me.  Dajon didn't want to put in the work here; and, apparently, doesn't want to put in the work at a D-II either.  That's fine.  You'd be hard pressed to find a coach at any level that puts up with their quarterbacks skipping the weight room, film room, and not studying the playbook.  That is a surprise to no one who knows anything about college football.

Do you have a quote from Sir Calvin Wallace anywhere that he was giving up football? No, you don't, you just think Vito saying "decided not to return for his final year of eligibility" equates to giving up football.

Whether Dajon is playing football or not, the man is in college bettering himself. He never said anything bad about this program. He is a father and is going to make the most of his future. I never saw where he skipped film room, weight room, or didn't study the playbook. I do recall him coming into fall camp in 2014 without having thrown over the summer break so he had shoulder fatigue. So yea, he didn't do his not-so-"voluntary" workouts. That and the birth of his child are why he didn't suit up for the '14 UT game. It kind of amazes me that he was so opposed to putting in the work since he very nearly beat out Heart of Dallas Bowl MVP Derek Thompson for the starting job in 2013 as a true freshman.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Do you have a quote from Sir Calvin Wallace anywhere that he was giving up football? No, you don't, you just think Vito saying "decided not to return for his final year of eligibility" equates to giving up football.

Whether Dajon is playing football or not, the man is in college bettering himself. He never said anything bad about this program. He is a father and is going to make the most of his future. I never saw where he skipped film room, weight room, or didn't study the playbook. I do recall him coming into fall camp in 2014 without having thrown over the summer break so he had shoulder fatigue. So yea, he didn't do his not-so-"voluntary" workouts. That and the birth of his child are why he didn't suit up for the '14 UT game. It kind of amazes me that he was so opposed to putting in the work since he very nearly beat out Heart of Dallas Bowl MVP Derek Thompson for the starting job in 2013 as a true freshman.

Just letting whoever know if im not up for something this semester during Spring Ball we goin have a problem

— Black Jimmie Johnson (@rosecity_Don) December 30, 2015

Enjoy losing at South Alabama.  At least there, he won't be able to pull the "I'm not playing, surprise I am playing" on them.

As to Dajon...keep harboring your Dajon was better than Thompson fantasy.  And, also the fantasy that he has been the only college football player to ever father children.  Newsflash - many have them while still in high school.

He didn't focus on what it takes to be a successful college quarterback; even those with children somehow manage:  ever hear of a Brigham Young University? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This guy Adrian Peterson had at least one in college and still found time to, you know, hit the voluntary workouts:
http://www.tmz.com/2013/10/16/adrian-peterson-4th-baby-mama-5th-baby-dancer-gentlemens-club/

This guy Leonard Fournette made a run at the Heisman...with a daughter:
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210425295

DeVante Parker:  http://heavy.com/sports/2015/04/devante-parker-louisville-nfl-draft-dolphins-height-dad-daughter/

Leonard Williams:  http://heavy.com/sports/2015/04/leonard-williams-usc-university-southern-california-nfl-height-jaguars-raiders-daughter-mom-family/

Ed Stinson:  http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ed-stinson?id=2543688

Keith McGill:  http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/keith-mcgill?id=2543762

Donte Moncrief:  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/18/colts-donte-moncrief-entered-the-draft-to-support-his-family/

Bobby Wagner:  http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2012/04/27/seahawks-select-lb-bobby-wagner-in-second-round-of-nfl-draft/

The list of NFL players alone who had kids in high school or college would be too long to list, forget about just college players.  Some who have kids before or while in college seem to be able to put in the work to the degree that they even make it to the League.

So, find me another excuse for Dajon not going to workouts, film study, and getting around to cracking the playbook. 

• Upvote 1

Anyone else gotten where they read just a couple of threads here and there? Harry you have let you love of hits/posts override your desire to have a board to talk UNT sports. I have so many people on ignore now that it is a fucking joke.

Fix the problem.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Anyone else gotten where they read just a couple of threads here and there? Harry you have let you love of hits/posts override your desire to have a board to talk UNT sports. I have so many people on ignore now that it is a fucking joke.

Fix the problem.

But did you know we need to fire Rick Villarreal?

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Anyone else gotten where they read just a couple of threads here and there? Harry you have let you love of hits/posts override your desire to have a board to talk UNT sports. 

Fix the problem.

^

Edited by GOMG2013

41 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Just letting whoever know if im not up for something this semester during Spring Ball we goin have a problem

— Black Jimmie Johnson (@rosecity_Don) December 30, 2015

Could you translate that? It looks to me like he is say that if he isn't able to do something this semester during spring ball something is wrong. I don't see the part where he says, I graduated and am giving up my football career.

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Fix the problem.

You can be our Moses Rose; I prefer to cross over Harry's line in the sand and stand with him and the others. Go ahead and dance to El Deguello if you wish, I prefer to fire the cannon.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Fix the problem.

Sounds like your problem more than Harry's. 

Guess what. UNT athletics is in a hopeless state. The most hopeless state it's ever been in. And UNT is doing nothing to change it. Not Pres. Smatresk, not the BOR, not the 17. 

Thats why traffic is down. Even if that's not what you want to hear. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

5 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Guess what. UNT athletics is in a hopeless state. The most hopeless state it's ever been in. And UNT is doing nothing to change it. Not Pres. Smatresk, not the BOR, not the 17. 

I think your reasoning is part of why and mine is also a reason. There are few absolutes, right?

Just not sure how many more TFLF accounts we need. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I think your reasoning is part of why and mine is also a reason. There are few absolutes, right?

Just not sure how many more TFLF accounts we need. 

Or, maybe you can just accept that some people on the planet might have a different point of view than you, and kind of - I don't know - deal with it?

Sounds like you want Harry to turn gomeangreen.com into your personal "safe space" a la the whiny college students these days. 

16 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Or, as someone noted earlier about the member of the NT Illuminati whose posts are down, there is a trend to post less this time of year with spring ball over and school out.  Not much happening, not much to comment upon...

...hence, the revival of the helmet and jersey threads.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3