Congrats to CUSA NFL draft picks - Most among G5

1 hour ago, UNTexas said:

I hate to be a buzz kill but its a pretty sad state of affairs when a university the size of UNT doesn't have a player drafted year in and year out.

Or for 11 years.

Thanks Rick Villarreal. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 9

It really is an interesting question. Too bad Tasty and Billy have anything better to do these days, because research into just how many other FCS schools (not FBS, because I bet there aren't any) have as long or longer draft drought.

I bet you UNT is easily in the bottom 1/8 of FCS.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, NewHampster said:

A little Internet research tells me that the only FBS school with a longer NFL draft drought is Air Force.

That surprises me. But keep in mind, there is a 4 year service commitment that those young men must fullfill after college.

The older fans remember Chad Henning of the Cowboys, I bet.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

On Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 8:17 AM, Ben Gooding said:

Not Midwestern State from right up the road in WF. They even had a player drafted this draft. 

How I get a -1 for stating a fact? 

Welcome to the club. Obviously truth is uncomfortable and scary. This will get down voted as well.

19 hours ago, UNT90 said:

That surprises me. But keep in mind, there is a 4 year service commitment that those young men must fullfill after college.

The older fans remember Chad Henning of the Cowboys, I bet.

So, the only program that has a worse record in sending players to the NFL doesn't actually send players to the NFL. Good grief.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

So, the only program that has a worse record in sending players to the NFL doesn't actually send players to the NFL. Good grief.

Yep, but Rick Villarreal has vision, just ask any of his 17 close, personal friends. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

8 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

I hope so. At least there is a stadium and decent coach to work with.

Well, there is a stadium. We have no idea if there is a decent coach. We begin the process of finding that out in September.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Well, there is a stadium. We have no idea if there is a decent coach. We begin the process of finding that out in September.

I really hope that people understand just how down we are and that Littrell will need several years for us to get an idea if he even knows how to be a decent head coach. His first job, fixing the locker room, appears to be going well. Remember, he took over a roster that has already shown it will gladly quit on the university that gave them a scholarship. Running off people who either lack character or talent had to be Step One and it appears he has done a good job, so far. The second step involves looking at what you have left and identifying what parts are usable. When these are your first two steps as a new head coach--and its your first time to ever be a head coach--that doesn't ever add up to a big turnaround. Winning two games in 2016 would represent SIGNIFICANT progress from last year, when we suffered the worst loss in modern college football history and really should have gone winless (thank God UTSA had to play their 5th string QB in the 2nd half of our game here in Denton so that we could win by a TD). Our schedule this year is just a killer for where we currently sit. But next year, when we lose the three CUSA East powers and gain three CUSA East dregs for the schedule, this will help. Its a big reason that I think we will see us win 1-2 games this year, 3-4 games in year 2, and then 7 or more by 2018, when we still play those three CUSA East dregs.

The biggest step Littrell has to make going forward this year is just winning some recruiting battles. It really wont surprise me at all to see him go heavy on JUCOs in this next class, just to try and infuse some talent into the roster until he and his staff can build up some cred with the TX HS coaches and parents of recruits.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I really hope that people understand just how down we are and that Littrell will need several years for us to get an idea if he even knows how to be a decent head coach. His first job, fixing the locker room, appears to be going well. Remember, he took over a roster that has already shown it will gladly quit on the university that gave them a scholarship. Running off people who either lack character or talent had to be Step One and it appears he has done a good job, so far. The second step involves looking at what you have left and identifying what parts are usable. When these are your first two steps as a new head coach--and its your first time to ever be a head coach--that doesn't ever add up to a big turnaround. Winning two games in 2016 would represent SIGNIFICANT progress from last year, when we suffered the worst loss in modern college football history and really should have gone winless (thank God UTSA had to play their 5th string QB in the 2nd half of our game here in Denton so that we could win by a TD). Our schedule this year is just a killer for where we currently sit. But next year, when we lose the three CUSA East powers and gain three CUSA East dregs for the schedule, this will help. Its a big reason that I think we will see us win 1-2 games this year, 3-4 games in year 2, and then 7 or more by 2018, when we still play those three CUSA East dregs.

The biggest step Littrell has to make going forward this year is just winning some recruiting battles. It really wont surprise me at all to see him go heavy on JUCOs in this next class, just to try and infuse some talent into the roster until he and his staff can build up some cred with the TX HS coaches and parents of recruits.

It's no guarantee that we will get the crossover games you are talking about. UAB's return could cause that to change quite a bit...

Just now, Army of Dad said:

It's no guarantee that we will get the crossover games you are talking about. UAB's return could cause that to change quite a bit...

That's true. I don't think anyone knows how UAB's return will affect the CUSA schedule.

Recruiting in Texas is tough... so many D-I universities.... plus so many out of state conferences and universities (SEC,Oklahoma, many others)   recruit big time here also ......  Most of the better HS recruits want to go where they will be seen a lot and to a successful program which increases their odds of moving to the NFL..... Success breeds success.. We did ok for a while but not so much lately ......  That hurts.... Even so there are several NT ex-players in the NFL...... I think I heard yesterday that 25-30% of NFL players were never drafted .... They tend to draft players that they fear might be drafted by someone else and not ones that likely be available after the draft that others don't know bout.. .. 

..I am not making excuses for Rick or the coaching staffs ... just telling it like it is .... we could and should do better..... 

• Upvote 1