MGB: Why should UNT pick Morris? Here are 9 quick points

Brett Vito

Just now, Brett Vito said:

Fourth-string QB at Alabama > anything UNT has had pretty much ever

That is complete BS. Alabama ain't QB U. Far from it. It seems you have fallen in love with the P5. See my above post that illustrate how failed this line of thinking is when it comes to UNT transfers. 

Might Morris turn out to be a good player? Quite possible. Just as possible that he is Chad 2.0. We don't know because we haven't seen him under live fire. Same for Shanbour. Saying one is better than the other is really dumb at this point.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I would almost argue that Shanbour's strengths fit this offense better than Morris. Quick release, ability to read the defense, mobility to mix in the read option. Morris might be bigger with a better deep ball but he seems very inconsistent

That's a sweeping statement considering we've seen ONE scrimmage. And how can you say Shanbour is better at reading defenses with such a tiny sample size?

I'll put my trust in Littrell and Graham Harrell when it comes to picking the best QB on this team.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

That is complete BS. Alabama ain't QB U. Far from it. It seems you have fallen in love with the P5. See my above post that illustrate how failed this line of thinking is when it comes to UNT transfers. 

Might Morris turn out to be a good player? Quite possible. Just as possible that he is Chad 2.0. We don't know because we haven't seen him under live fire. Same for Shanbour. Saying one is better than the other is really dumb at this point.

Very true. Every P5 recruit is not a football God. It would be a stretch to say that the majority of them are.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

That's a sweeping statement considering we've seen ONE scrimmage. And how can you say Shanbour is better at reading defenses with such a tiny sample size?

I'll put my trust in Littrell and Graham Harrell when it comes to picking the best QB on this team.

The others that have seen multiple scrimmages have said as such. He'll light it up one practice, then flop the next. Graham Harrell himself said he was "streaky" at the coaches show. 

What happens if he comes out against smut, goes 29/40 for 350 yards and 3 tds, then goes 15/40 for 175 yards and 3 int's against Bethune Cookman(highly unlikely, but that's what happens to "streaky" players)? We will still push the narrative that he's head and shoulders above Shanbour? Call me skeptical, but I'm not buying the hype. Hopefully Morris shuts me up come Sept 3rd and every game after. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

The others that have seen multiple scrimmages have said as such. He'll light it up one practice, then flop the next. Graham Harrell himself said he was "streaky" at the coaches show. 

What happens if he comes out against smut, goes 29/40 for 350 yards and 3 tds, then goes 15/40 for 175 yards and 3 int's against Bethune Cookman(highly unlikely, but that's what happens to "streaky" players)? We will still push the narrative that he's head and shoulders above Shanbour? Call me skeptical, but I'm not buying the hype. Hopefully Morris shuts me up come Sept 3rd and every game after. 

Well streaky or not, it's obvious the coaches think Morris is currently better than Shanbour. If they didn't, Shanbour would have gotten more reps with the first team on Saturday.

But like UNT90 has been saying, we're basing opinions off of nothing so I'm forced to trust our coaches until we have some actual results.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

No, not nearly the dumbest post.  I've also posted about driving to Norman OK, Clemson SC and Fayetteville AR to watch another ALL OFFENSIVE MINDED team play without a solid defense.  THEN...I actually witnessed the slaughters in person. 

Now THAT was dumb!

Rick

Talking about dumb, the game in 2008 at Rice, in non-conference, was the absolute worst. I truly believed we might be able to hang with an in-state non-P5 school, even at their place. Instead, we found ourselves losing 77-20 in the 3rd quarter. Only because Rice's coach called off the dogs in the 4th quarter did we not see Rice score over 100, which they easily could have that day.

And BTW, yes, our offense was exactly the same that day as it was in the shellackings you mentioned above, but without the paycheck. Its yet to be seen if Littrell's spread offense will look like Dodge's, but I fear that they will definitely rhyme...

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Well streaky or not, it's obvious the coaches think Morris is currently better than Shanbour. If they didn't, Shanbour would have gotten more reps with the first team on Saturday.

But like UNT90 has been saying, we're basing opinions off of nothing so I'm forced to trust our coaches until we have some actual results.

You know what? I am satisfied with how things went because Shanbour at least got an opportunity to (in the words of many Coaches of my generation) "get out there son and show me what you can do". He could have been doing pretty much the same stuff last spring game as he was doing this spring game. Except a coaches ego and prejudice got in the way.

2 minutes ago, drex said:

Ever, Brett? What about Ramsey, Washington, Case and Carlin?

Mitch Maher, Scott Davis, Scott Hall, and Joe Stevenson would also present an argument regarding our previous QB quality.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Let's see who Morris sat behind for 4 years.  AJ McCarron - currently playing in the NFL, Simms who broke all of Bama passing records, Coker, who lead Bama to NC....not a bus driver....see his stats.  That is a pretty impressive group to sit behind.  On that level, just because you are not a starter doesn't/t mean as much as you are stressing.

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

Talk about bus driver U.

talk about not know what your talking about.  McCarron, Simms, Coker....not bus drivers

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Let's see who Morris sat behind for 4 years.  AJ McCarron - currently playing in the NFL, Simms who broke all of Bama passing records, Coker, who lead Bama to NC....not a bus driver....see his stats.  That is a pretty impressive group to sit behind.  On that level, just because you are not a starter doesn't/t mean as much as you are stressing.

talk about not know what your talking about.  McCarron, Simms, Coker....not bus drivers

Pretty easy to throw the ball when the opposing defense has 9 guys keying on your Heisman winning running back to stop the run

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

No, not nearly the dumbest post.  I've also posted about driving to Norman OK, Clemson SC and Fayetteville AR to watch another ALL OFFENSIVE MINDED team play without a solid defense.  THEN...I actually witnessed the slaughters in person. 

Now THAT was dumb!

Rick

I was with you for the Norman and Fayetteville trips although I was on the bus for Norman. I'll never forget 2007 was the year App State beat Michigan because I was on the bus to Norman when I heard the news. Vizza had me excited solely based on his potential.

1 hour ago, Brett Vito said:

Fourth-string QB at Alabama > anything UNT has had pretty much ever

You're showing your ignorance Brett. Maher, Ramsey, Davis, etc. Hell, give me a Scott Hall or DT at their peak over an unknown 4th string developed by Joey Freshwater.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Talking about dumb, the game in 2008 at Rice, in non-conference, was the absolute worst. I truly believed we might be able to hang with an in-state non-P5 school, even at their place. Instead, we found ourselves losing 77-20 in the 3rd quarter. Only because Rice's coach called off the dogs in the 4th quarter did we not see Rice score over 100, which they easily could have that day.

And BTW, yes, our offense was exactly the same that day as it was in the shellackings you mentioned above, but without the paycheck. Its yet to be seen if Littrell's spread offense will look like Dodge's, but I fear that they will definitely rhyme...

Was there for that one too. That was the second sickest I've ever been watching a UNT game, the first was watching my beloved Mean Green take the field in black junior high practice jerseys. I think a left in the first quarter because I was so disgusted. That was the first of only a few times I've ever left before the clock hit all zeroes.

27 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I don't think a Dodge-coached team ever played against the Razorbacks.  Funny post, though.

Sure did, Nutt was about to get fired, Hog fans all showed up wearing black. Mindy became number 1 on my hate list that day. It was the last year the Hogs had Felix Jones, McFadden, and Hillis together in one backfield. If I remember right, Vizza scored on a keeper.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Sure did, Nutt was about to get fired, Hog fans all showed up wearing black. Mindy became number 1 on my hate list that day. It was the last year the Hogs had Felix Jones, McFadden, and Hillis together in one backfield.

It's kind of coming back to me now.  I do recall that the pizza place in the town I lived in in Arkansas had a framed photo of that game, and the North Texas player(s) in the photo had on the Dodge-era jerseys.  I remember the Dickey-era game a lot better, for some reason.

I stand corrected.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Brett Vito said:

Yep. Hall, Case, Maher and Ramsey might be the pretty much exceptions

Hard to really compare when you never saw them play.

To me Davis was among the best because of his overall ability.  Throwing for 400 yards against Texas, 300 yards in a win over Tech one year,...and running for over 200 in a win against SMU another...all on a team playing with 20 fewer scholarships.

He was a linebacker playing QB with a 98 MPH fastball.  We haven't had another like him since.

Rick

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Fun fact. The year Simms set those passing records, Bama averaged 277.9 yards per game passing. In 2007, North Texas threw for an average of 289.7.  I'd be willing to bet that as long as Chumley or Means don't see the field this year, we will beat that 277.9 ALL-TIME number.

4. Fifth-year senior transfer quarterbacks have worked before at other schools

The best path to success in college athletics sometimes is to see what has worked other places and follow the same path. Louisiana Tech has won bowl games the last two years behind fifth-year senior transfers Cody Sokol and Jeff Driskel.

Dan McCarney used to say, “Why not North Texas?”

On the other hand, name one walk-on quarterback who has been wildly successful as a starter. Baker Mayfield is one, but he wasn’t a typical walk-on. He had offers from Florida Atlantic, New Mexico and Rice before starting out at Texas Tech and then transferring to Oklahoma.

There might be a few others, but I sure can’t think of one

Ok @Brett Vito, challenge accepted. Ever heard of Brandon Weeden or Colt Brennan?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Fun fact. The year Simms set those passing records, Bama averaged 277.9 yards per game passing. In 2007, North Texas threw for an average of 289.7.  I'd be willing to bet that as long as Chumley or Means don't see the field this year, we will beat that 277.9 ALL-TIME number.

Ok @Brett Vito, challenge accepted. Ever heard of Brandon Weeden or Colt Brennan?

Brandon Weeden was a pro baseball player who had scholarship offers before going to play baseball, and came back to OKie St under a scholarship set-up by MLB in is contract to play.  Colt was basically kicked off Colorado St if I recall because of trouble, and landed in Hawaii....not really walk-on types....

20 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Scott Hall, Mitch Maher, Andrew Smith, and Steve Ramsey might have something to say about that.

1 hour ago, Brett Vito said:

Yep. Hall, Case, Maher and Ramsey might be the pretty much exceptions

And Derek Thompson.

Thats a lot of years of exceptions.

You may be right, but nothing in the Spring game indicated that you are at this point.

We won't know until halftime of the SMU game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Hard to really compare when you never saw them play.

To me Davis was among the best because of his overall ability.  Throwing for 400 yards against Texas, 300 yards in a win over Tech one year,...and running for over 200 in a win against SMU another...all on a team playing with 20 fewer scholarships.

He was a linebacker playing QB with a 98 MPH fastball.  We haven't had another like him since.

Rick

Yep, yet another exception.

Too bad Brett has only seen Rick Villarreal football. It seems to have him believing a 4th team player for a P5 is a superstar at UNT. That has never been true. 

Don't worry, Brett, if Morris does end up being a bust, RV will be there to whisper in your ear that it was Morris's fault, or Littrell's, or the offensive coordinator. Anyone but the Hattiesburg Hustler.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

But wait... Dodge's offenses were good, right?

Also, just like Athletic Directors, beat writers can be around a program too long. 

Stopresponding to GMG with nine point posts on your blog. Just sad.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1