MGB: A quick point about attrition since last season

Brett Vito

@Brett Vito, how do you explain reporting earlier in camp that Ivery was performing well and then during the Mic'd Up video with Coach Harrell, Ivery catching tennis balls bare handed?  Heck, even Harrell called him by name.  Last, why did you refer to Shanbour throwing for 315 yards in the scrimmage against deep back-ups?  He played against the second team.

• Upvote 5

35 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

@Brett Vito, how do you explain reporting earlier in camp that Ivery was performing well and then during the Mic'd Up video with Coach Harrell, Ivery catching tennis balls bare handed?  Heck, even Harrell called him by name.  Last, why did you refer to Shanbour throwing for 315 yards in the scrimmage against deep back-ups?  He played against the second team.

Vito has his own narratives that he sticks to whenever it comes QBs - every other assessor be damned.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

I think the AD/Vito/Media are pushing the Alec Morris narrative so heavily because they so desperately want him to be the guy. Even Hank said several times in the spring broadcast that he is better, and was better last week etc etc etc. I'm glad when they interviewed Littrell after the game he spoke highly of Shanbour. I think Morris was crowned a little too early in his tenure here and has a big head. Like I mentioned before, Shanbour ran the table and I hope it heats up competition for Morris to perform better, because he was underwhelming to say the least on Saturday

Or they see both of them practice every day and aren't going to over react to one scrimmage...

I have my issues with Vito, but I doubt he's been reporting how much better Morris has looked compared to everyone else all spring just because of a personal agenda.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Here is an early prediction for you:

Shanbour is starting by game 4. 

I wouldn't be surprised. Give him the reigns, let him run around, we have another year of him to groom Fine who has the same stature/abilities. It would allow the line to adjust for a shorter QB that can run for the next few years. I'm just not convinced Morris is the guy, especially after all of the positive reviews of Shanbour over the last couple years and after the spring game. He seems to make quicker/more decisive reads than Morris anyways, as noted by some saying he is the smartest QB in the room. 

• Upvote 1

All of this Shanbour talk sounds eerily familiar to the talk in the spring of 2014 when a certain 2nd-stringer was gaining alot of support from players/coaches/fans alike.  Greer wound up wrestling the starting job away from the expected starter (McNulty) and then he started a game in Austin,TX. and was exposed rather quickly.

Not saying it's going to play out that way... it just sounds very, very similar.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

39 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

It wouldn't be surprising that we figure out quickly that Morris isn't quick enough with his reads.  Shanbour may not be either but with Littrell and Harrell making the decisions, Shanbour will have the opportunity if he's the best player.  His height won't be why he doesn't play. 

... at least that's what I hope. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

I think that is possible.  Especially if our line isn't blocking well.  Shanbour can move around and extend plays.  If we start losing early, no need to play seniors who still need development. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

...and how do you feel about this bold prediction? Is it based on your observation of the scrimmage Saturday?

Oh no. It's based on reports of O-line troubles, Shanbour looking good, and Morris not being as mobile.

And keep in mind, I simply said starting by game 4. That could very easily be because Morris is injured. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

The good news is that I get the sense Littrell will go with the best guy for us to win.  That hasn't always been the case around here.

In your opinion, as someone who has seen multiple practices/spring game is the gap between Shanbour and Morris a lot smaller than some would lead us to believe? Or is Morris going to be the savior of UNT football a la HOD Bowl Champion MVP Stud Derek "Jesus" Thompson?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

In your opinion, as someone who has seen multiple practices/spring game is the gap between Shanbour and Morris a lot smaller than some would lead us to believe? Or is Morris going to be the savior of UNT football a la HOD Bowl Champion MVP Stud Derek "Jesus" Thompson?

No and no? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Vito has his own narratives that he sticks to whenever it comes QBs - every other assessor be damned.

When has he been wrong over the past two season re: QBs? 

I tend to agree with his underlying assumption about 2016 - if Morris is bad or injured, 0 wins, 12 losses is not out of the question.  We have zero at QB behind him...same as 2014 and 2015. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

When has he been wrong over the past two season re: QBs? 

I tend to agree with his underlying assumption about 2016 - if Morris is bad or injured, 0 wins, 12 losses is not out of the question.  We have zero at QB behind him...same as 2014 and 2015. 

What makes you think we have anything at QB at all? 1 pass for 6 yards in mop up duty vs Charleston Southern? Riding the pine at Alabama?

Shanbour and Morris should be viewed as equals right now. The one thing Morris has that Shanbour doesn't is size. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Morris has more upside but after Saturday you see that he is not without some consistency issues.   I will be honest, I had secretly hoped that Morris would wrap up the primary on Saturday but he came up short of the 1237.  

I can visualize Shanbour or heck maybe even Fine see the field some but I think we really need production from Morris as he jas the biggest upside with his arm and size and is getting the lion share of the coaching time and snaps.  There is however a LOT of read option in this offense and I think Shanbour's mobility might help him in that particular regard.

Regardless of above, I definately hope we can land an immediately eligible graduate transfer or perhaps a late qualifying Juco.  We have very little proven depth at the most critical position on the team.

Morris will start because he is the best QB.  Shanbour looked better in the spring game but obviously that hasn't been the case very often.   I hope both turn out to be good options, that would be a great change.  However, many are putting a lot of faith in a spring game played like a scrimmage against the second team.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think we really need Morris to be the guy. It was good to see that Shanbour is going to provide a little competition. Hopefully they can push each other. 

I haven't watched any practice this year but what I saw from Morris on Saturday were mechanics/delivery that are more suited for play action passing instead of a spread QB. 

If Saturday was a good barometer of where he is at, he needs to shake the rust off over the Summer. 

15 hours ago, Harry said:

Morris has more upside but after Saturday you see that he is not without some consistency issues.   I will be honest, I had secretly hoped that Morris would wrap up the primary on Saturday but he came up short of the 1237.  

I can visualize Shanbour or heck maybe even Fine see the field some but I think we really need production from Morris as he jas the biggest upside with his arm and size and is getting the lion share of the coaching time and snaps.  There is however a LOT of read option in this offense and I think Shanbour's mobility might help him in that particular regard.

Regardless of above, I definitely hope we can land an immediately eligible graduate transfer or perhaps a late qualifying Juco.  We have very little proven depth at the most critical position on the team.

May I posit that consistency issues are, at minimum, a two-way street?  All offenses are about timing, whether you are running the option, or doing one of these Mouse Davis hybrids - Spread, Air Raid...whatever they are calling it this year, it's all the same.

A quarterback throws the ball to a place where the receiver is supposed to be.  So, QB throws the ball...is WR there?  That's where the importance of WR talent comes into play:

-Can the WR run routes correctly?
-Is the WR strong enough to fight of DBs on these short patterns?
-Can the WR actually catch the ball?

Consistency in the passing game has three parts:  QB and WR, obviously, and OL blocking.  My guess is - and, it's more than just healthy conjecture - Morris was throwing to far superior talent at Alabama.  We have yet to see any of these WR on the roster break out, even though a few have been on the roster for two to three seasons.

Therefore, as to consistency, if we are worried about Morris, I'd say we have ample reason to also be worried about the fellows doing the receiving...and, perhaps the OL blocking in order to have the timing be right for the play called.

Morris can only control his 1/3rd of the timing equation.  He can't also block for himself and catch the pass. 

• Upvote 2

People always love the backup QB. He did good against our defensive backups...which means these guys cannot break in past the starters on a unit that has been just terrible and has no size or speed. Trust me, Shanbour will play in 2016, but its gonna be due to Morris getting killed. Except for Butt Cookman, we will not play one defensive unit that is less talented than ours is.

• Downvote 1