Please do not Hijack GMG Threads

Harry

7 hours ago, pastorgrant said:

Harry is not suppressing free speech. Anyone who wants to talk about any topic can start a thread. But now we can talk about other things, too.

Thanks, Harry

The other day, I created a thread about getting a custom plate for my new car. It got a derailed. I didn't complain to a mod. I didn't ask anyone to address it. I have no problem with UNT90 or MeanGreenTexan arguing. They are both grown men, they can have a civil discussion without third party intervention. My thread got locked. I don't know if one of them got a warning or banned for it. I hope not. They are both good people that love North Texas.

I don't go around derailing every thread into an anti-RV thread, but if the root of a discussion is directly related to his poor leadership, any poster should have the freedom to point that out. Just like any poster should be free to give him credit.

MeanGreenTexan, sorry I didn't have a chance to respond to you in the other thread. Amanda and I will be at the Spring Game this weekend. I hope we see y'all there. If not see you on 9-3. Go Mean Green!

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 6

Shutting down people who care enough about this program to visit the page and post is problematic.  The post that got the most positive comment in this thread talked about "selling the program".  That is a very nice theory thinking that blurb here about a recent recruit signing is going to outweigh all the negativity found about the program everywhere else on the web.  An event staffer at the Spring Game made a comment to me as I was walking toward the sections people are allowed to seat; "looks like more of the same to me".  I was apprehensive to share that here for fear that the minions would try to research who it was and get them fired.  The fact of the matter is that other than facilities this program is in terrible shape.  And that will always be a bigger issue than a recruit signing unless UNT signs a consensus national top 20 at their position recruit.  Right now that is a pipe dream but it should not be with the resources available at UNT.  TCU made decision when they were left out of the Big 12 when it first formed.  They decided to do everything in their power to get on par with the best P5 teams.  But it seems many of us are just happy to be competitive with SMU.  Rarely does any organization or individual exceed their aspirations.  So while I talk the  X & O's of football here at a high level for just a fan, I kind of find it pointless when it comes to UNT football.  Moreover it is usually depressing because you get to questions like "Why did Greer see any snaps at QB after the 4 game of the 2016 season?"  Why don't we ever kick an onside kick before the game get way out of hand?  Our TE "according to coach interviews" are supposed to really good then why don't you run TE signal back set more often to cause matchup issues for the defense and give the best player on your team an extra blocker?

I am still curious about the traffic numbers on GMG since 2014.  How much further do you think those numbers dwindle if the Seth led Mean Green has a 4 win or less season and RV is still around for Spring Game 2017?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Shutting down people who care enough about this program to visit the page and post is problematic.  The post that got the most positive comment in this thread talked about "selling the program".  That is a very nice theory thinking that blurb here about a recent recruit signing is going to outweigh all the negativity found about the program everywhere else on the web.  An event staffer at the Spring Game made a comment to me as I was walking toward the sections people are allowed to seat; "looks like more of the same to me".  I was apprehensive to share that here for fear that the minions would try to research who it was and get them fired.  The fact of the matter is that other than facilities this program is in terrible shape.  And that will always be a bigger issue than a recruit signing unless UNT signs a consensus national top 20 at their position recruit.  Right now that is a pipe dream but it should not be with the resources available at UNT.  TCU made decision when they were left out of the Big 12 when it first formed.  They decided to do everything in their power to get on par with the best P5 teams.  But it seems many of us are just happy to be competitive with SMU.  Rarely does any organization or individual exceed their aspirations.  So while I talk the  X & O's of football here at a high level for just a fan, I kind of find it pointless when it comes to UNT football.  Moreover it is usually depressing because you get to questions like "Why did Greer see any snaps at QB after the 4 game of the 2016 season?"  Why don't we ever kick an onside kick before the game get way out of hand?  Our TE "according to coach interviews" are supposed to really good then why don't you run TE signal back set more often to cause matchup issues for the defense and give the best player on your team an extra blocker?

I am still curious about the traffic numbers on GMG since 2014.  How much further do you think those numbers dwindle if the Seth led Mean Green has a 4 win or less season and RV is still around for Spring Game 2017?

Was that guy wearing a red ball cap?  

Mean Green Club numbers are far more important than GMG numbers, and I bet those fall by close to 50% this year. Littrell may be a great coach, but his speaking style doesn't excite the fan base. Throw on top of that the retention of both the Hattiesburg Hustler and Tony Benford, and a whole lot of people are just gonna walk away.

But UNT doesn't care. And never will. Althletics just aren't important at North Texas.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

32 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Mean Green Club numbers are far more important than GMG numbers, and I bet those fall by close to 50% this year. Littrell may be a great coach, but his speaking style doesn't excite the fan base. Throw on top of that the retention of both the Hattiesburg Hustler and Tony Benford, and a whole lot of people are just gonna walk away.

But UNT doesn't care. And never will. Althletics just aren't important at North Texas.

As much as I like most of your comments, my question to you is; why do you care when it seems that the powers that be an North Texas don't?  I have a friend that use to play football here and is a football fanatic.  I could get him to come to an UNT game for free.  I reads the headlines and box scores (way more than 90% of local alumni do) but he is a very passive fan of the program.  He did not even know that Mac was gone (he was recruited under Mac's tenure).  All that is to say there are lot of people with reason to be vested in the program that aren't.  But you stay committed.   I am staying around strictly to see if Seth is successful beyond my wildest dreams.  That would be the only reason that would excuse RV's continued employment here past Feb 2017.  (Which I believe is the end of his current contract).  As to Seth's speaking style, it doesn't mean a dang thing without head coaching skins on the wall to back it up.  I think his pedigree as an OC means a lot for recruiting.  I think the leadership cares about Athletics at North Texas I just think they have low aspirations.  They may say they want a 50K configuration of Apogee in the future but they don't want that "headache".  Any head hunting firm worth a dam would have told UNT they needed a coach with star power distance the program from the historical stink it has.   And will all due respect to Seth that just isn't him.  If he is able to get this team to .500 he is great coach.

• Upvote 1