MGB: Three reasons UNT will be better next year (now with three reasons UNT will be worse)

Brett Vito

MGB: Part I of a series that will continue with three reasons UNT will be worse tomorrow

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2016/03/three-reasons-unt-will-be-better-in-2016-17.html/

MGB: Part II of series with three reasons UNT could be worse

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2016/03/three-reasons-unt-will-be-worse-in-2016-17.html/

Edited by Brett Vito
  • Upvote 7

1. Vito is correct that we will have 91% of our scoring back. We will also have everyone back from one of the worst defensive teams in recent memory. It doesn't matter if you score 90 points if the other team scores 100.

2. IT CAN GET WORSE Vito. Do not tempt the fates. The fates have us on speed dial.

3. Tomorrow's edition on Why UNT Will Be Worse will be a two word article and both words will be capitalized. 

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

1. Vito is correct that we will have 91% of our scoring back. We will also have everyone back from one of the worst defensive teams in recent memory. It doesn't matter if you score 90 points if the other team scores 100.

2. IT CAN GET WORSE Vito. Do not tempt the fates. The fates have us on speed dial.

3. Tomorrow's edition on Why UNT Will Be Worse will be a two word article and both words will be capitalized. 

far from being want to defend anything...but are we basing that solely on points allowed? I hardly watched a moment...so maybe it's both stats and eyes...but the 5 second bump up in the shot clock would certainly have increased scoring. someone with a more analytical inclination could maybe delve into that more

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

far from being want to defend anything...but are we basing that solely on points allowed? I hardly watched a moment...so maybe it's both stats and eyes...but the 5 second bump up in the shot clock would certainly have increased scoring. someone with a more analytical inclination could maybe delve into that more

306th out of 351 teams in pace-adjusted (points allowed per 100 possessions) defense. 

Does it bug anyone else besides me that we continually hear "advanced to second round" when referring to the CUSA Tournament? That implies we did something in the first round, while all we did was avoid a play-in game. Man, we really whipped Bye's ass! Sorry for venting, it just grates on me whenever I see that technically correct reference. JMO.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

Does it bug anyone else besides me that we continually hear "advanced to second round" when referring to the CUSA Tournament? That implies we did something in the first round, while all we did was avoid a play-in game. Man, we really whipped Bye's ass! Sorry for venting, it just grates on me whenever I see that technically correct reference. JMO.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of it either, but if I had to spin the results of last season I would probably go with the same line.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Seuss said:

I don't understand how anyone can think it cant get worse.  Who are the recruits that will replace Combs and company?  Future impact of recruiting quality players after 5 straight losing seasons?  Do we need to go on?

Yeah, this decision is a short term gamble that will inevitably lead to more of the same. Then what? Wait 5 more years to get decent talent in Denton? This is not just a 1-year decision. This is a decision that will effect North Texas basketball moving forward for years. But, thank goodness our AD transforms programs. #vision 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yeah, this decision is a short term gamble that will inevitably lead to more of the same. Then what? Wait 5 more years to get decent talent in Denton? This is not just a 1-year decision. This is a decision that will effect North Texas basketball moving forward for years. But, thank goodness our AD transforms programs. #vision 

Agree. All-in on one roll of the dice, followed by another long-term rebuild, is what it is beginning to look like to me.

35 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

It's insane.. Vito asked me if I wanted to be interviewed but I declined, you might be interested.  I said the same thing you said in an email to Hank.  I'm canceling my football season tickets and all donations to the MGC until there's a change.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Dr. Seuss said:

Vito asked me if I wanted to be interviewed but I declined, you might be interested.

Embrace your destiny, Ben. Remember, short sound bytes when you answer and try to tie back to no more than three main points. Use bridging and flanking to stay on message and don't be afraid to repeat as needed.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

That piece of crap DRC website's comment function never worked and now it is disabled.  Guess they don't want to see the feedback this fluff article would generate, or @Brett Vito doesn't want to write an article stating the obvious, that revenue sports have done horrible under RV's watch.  Wish @Brett Vito would nut up and write an article illustrating the B.S. RV feeds us all at every turn, but I don't see that happening.  I would love to have him sit down with RV and ask him the tough questions.  Again, he won't do it because his access to the teams would be eliminated and RV doesn't have the sack to sit down for these types of questions.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Seuss said:

It's insane.. Vito asked me if I wanted to be interviewed but I declined, you might be interested.  I said the same thing you said in an email to Hank.  I'm canceling my football season tickets and all donations to the MGC until there's a change.

Vito has my number saved in his email/trash. He can contact me at anytime. 

• Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, Brett Vito said:

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2016/03/three-reasons-unt-will-be-worse-in-2016-17.html/

I'd argue this team under Benford would struggle in the Sun Belt. I doubt the conference record would be any better.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Brett Vito said:

I don't think the move to CUSA is a hinderance. The Sun Belt was a better rated conference this year and a let of our new rivals are the same we had in the Sun Belt.

Conference move ups can be tough, but I don't think this is one of those times.

Edited by Army of Dad

To use an analogy, there is nothing wrong with the engines you trucked to the race...you don't win because you have a bad driver!

Added: I reviewed that NY Times article re: Frazier's situation and career to date. I found myself thinking "You have just been mentored by Larry Brown. How will you relate to Tony Benford?".

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...