Transfer Rumor

NDT

Sorry, but this comment struck me wrong. Andrew was nothing but appreciated for the job he did last year after Hall got injured. Stating that is was not appreciated is wrong. I thought of many words stronger than "wrong" but didn't want my post to be deleted.

Nothing but appreciated? Of course, that is why he is being run out of town. I guess we have different definitions of "appreciated".

He isn't being run out of town... Nobody on this board ever said I DON'T WANT A. SMITH AT NORTH TEXAS!!! All they said is they would rather have Hall at the helm. That is not a slam on Smith. We know he can do things.. just look to last year. But, it is seen as more of a compliment to Hall because of the general that he is.

We all want Smith to stay here... nobody is running him off.

Nothing on this board should ever persuade someone to leave from the university... You gotta be a thick-skinned athlete to play D-1A ball... if you can't you won't survive out there. If he goes, it is because he believes he has a better chance to play elsewhere.

Besides, this may all be just a rumor.

Scott definitely took advantage of going the whole game against Lafayette and has never looked back, but Andrew never got a chance to play against the Sun Belt so that can't be held against him. If Andrew gets the opportunity to go somewhere to play where he will be appreciated, then I look forward to following his career and I wish him luck.

Good point e-bone, Smith had to play with the top schols in the country as QB this season, Hall has not done that is the past two years.

Guest JohnDenver

Some people see appreciation as "boy, we sure are happy the defense and running game got the job done while the true QB was hurt. Finally we get our real field general back. Lucky for us our defense was so good last year."

Others see appreciation as being happy with Smith because he won the close games and almost (within 7 points) led us to defeating TCU, Arizona State and USF. The he went on to actually pick apart the Cinci secondary ... leading us to our first bowl victory in a million years! This is also recognizing and appreciating his redshirt status and team oriented attitude.

From my perspective, Smith got criticized for not winning against the toughest OOC schedule we have EVER played... then got those game stats compared to the SBC stats of our true field general.

I genuinely appreciate what Smith accomplished lastyear. I look forward to seeing him playing in the Green uniform again.

I wouldnt debout it but I dont understand it. Andrew is from Bay City so that would be some what closer to home for him, but from what I heard over the summer he didnt even want to attempt to beat Scott out for the starting job. Maybe he is just very unhappy with the situation. Andrew is a great guy and I wish him the best of luck.

BEAT NMSU

All they said is they would rather have Hall at the helm. That is not a slam on Smith.

Travis, you have been level headed about this, as most have, and this is true for you. However, during the "controversy", others felt the need to tear down Andrew to build up Scott, which was not neccessary. I think e-bone was directing that at a minority of the board, and certainly not you.

From my perspective, Smith got criticized for not winning against the toughest OOC schedule we have EVER played... then got those game stats compared to the SBC stats of our true field general.

That's exactly what happend.

Andrew, please stay here, you are a valuable part of the team, and you do have a fan club, fans that really appreciate what you have doen, as unpopular as it is on this board sometimes.

The he went on to actually pick apart the Cinci secondary ... leading us to our first bowl victory in a million  years!

Well, I don't consider 9-22, 126 yards, 0TD and 1 INT (79.9 rating) picking apart a secondary. Especially when they're stacking against the run.

I criticized Smith for making poor decisions last year. He made plenty, and saying his 3-INT performance against USF was ALMOST WINNING is ridiculous. I also went into a complete breakdown of his numbers last season, and they do not impress me.

Also, when I compared their stats, you'll see that I compared an entire season of Scott Hall (2001, where he faced tough OOC opponents) to Andrew Smith's full season (2002). Those numbers alone were disparate enough to let me know who I wanted leading the team. Despite the version of history that some people seem to recollect, I never compared Smith's OOC to Hall's Sun Belt. You don't need any help to see who's the better QB.

When people say that Smith "led us to our first bowl victory", I see it as a veiled criticism of our defense and Scott Hall's performance against a tough Colorado State team, and a game in which Scott Hall played well. Also, when people were saying that Smith led us to 7 straight wins, they didn't seem to care that 6 of those games were Sun Belt foes, but when Scott Hall wins, it's because it's against the Sun Belt, and unfair to compare to Smith's play vs. tough OOC opponents.

Hall has proven himself the better QB. He's the QB that gives UNT the best chance to win, and THAT is what I care about.

Guest JohnDenver

Well, I don't consider 9-22, 126 yards, 0TD and 1 INT (79.9 rating) picking apart a secondary.  Especially when they're stacking against the run.

Stats don't tell the whole story, and anyone with a brain larger than a pea knows that. Smith did a great job passing to Howard. Dickey went into protect-the-lead mode at half time after successfully passing the ball. Given the chance, Smith could have continued passing at will to Howard. Also, let's be honest, 5 of those drops were in the hands of Marshall! If you can't see that, then, oh well... you have some hate to work out.

I criticized Smith for making poor decisions last year.  He made plenty, and saying his 3-INT performance against USF was ALMOST WINNING is ridiculous.  I also went into a complete breakdown of his numbers last season, and they do not impress me.

He was a redshirt freshman!! Give me a break.. we were in the hole against USF because 1) the defense was getting whooped by USF's stud QB Blackwell. 2) DD's running game wasn't going anywhere against a good USF defense. Smith was given the chance to carry the team on this back and he threw some interceptions. It happens... doesn't mean you can say HE-ON-A-WHOLE is a bad QB. Tear him down if you will. You don't need to be 'impressed' with his stats to APPRECIATE his play for us. He won the games he should have won (SBC) and won the game he needed to win (Cinci).

Hall lost to USF. Hall lost to Troy. Hall lost to ULM. All games that we should/could win. Hall isn't exempt from mistakes. I don't know why you can't give Smith the same slack when judging his performances.

Also, when I compared their stats, you'll see that I compared an entire season of Scott Hall (2001, where he faced tough OOC opponents) to Andrew Smith's full season (2002).  Those numbers alone were disparate enough to let me know who I wanted leading the team.  Despite the version of history that some people seem to recollect, I never compared Smith's OOC to Hall's Sun Belt.  You don't need any help to see who's the better QB.

I don't need to compare QBs. I am happy with Hall. He is doing very well this year. I appreciate his play and sticking with the team this year despite the rumors that he was leaving. He definitely earned the starting spot and hasn't looked back. That takes nothing away from Smith. Why can't you see that? All you want to do is tear Smith down to make your love for Hall that much more justified. I bet your arguments in you love life go over very well wink.gif

Hall didn't start all of 2001. He was rotated in place of Bridges. The stats are completely accurate. Hall won the starting job after the Tech game.

When people say that Smith "led us to our first bowl victory", I see it as a veiled criticism of our defense and Scott Hall's performance against a tough Colorado State team, and a game in which Scott Hall played well.  Also, when people were saying that Smith led us to 7 straight wins, they didn't seem to care that 6 of those games were Sun Belt foes, but when Scott Hall wins, it's because it's against the Sun Belt, and unfair to compare to Smith's play vs. tough OOC opponents.

Veiled criticism? It is fact! Smith was the QB on the team that won the first bowl game. How is that criticism? CSU was a great team ... our team had a losing record. We were all happy to be at the New Orlean's bowl. That isn't saying anything about Hall.

Second of all the 2001-2003 OOC schedules are nowhere near the same.

L 5 Texas Christian 19 Denton, TX <-- Average at best this year. (Bridges started)

L 10 Oklahoma 37 Norman, OK <-- Same Oklahoma, with not the same offense power of the 2003 version. (Bridges started)

L 14 Texas Tech 42 Denton, TX <-- Winnable game, proved 4 times in the past. (Bridges started)

L 10 South Florida 28 Tampa, FL <---oh no, he didn't win USF.

L 16 Troy St. (AL) 18 Troy, AL <-- The most important loss in my opinion. Should have won. Didn't win. Had an embarrassing losing record in bowl game.

And in-conference, Hall also didn't work his starting magic to win against the terrible ULM team, our only SBC loss.

L 17 Louisiana-Monroe 19 Monroe, LA

This year, there is no comparision... #1 and #8 ranked teams. And then an AFA that was pushing top 25. Come on. Surely you can see some difference. Not to mention that Smith started them all (Hall didn't start all of 2001). Hall did a good job in SBC only losing one. Smith did a good job not losing any. Both records I like. Their OCC performances both leave a lot to be desired, but you don't want to see that. You want to tear down Smith and exalt your (and my) Hall.

Hall has proved himself the better QB.  He's the QB that gives UNT the best chance to win, and THAT is what I care about.

When did this turn into a comparison? Smith did a good job. Period. Hall is the starter now. Don't continue to spew your biased argument every-stinkin-time Smith's name is mentioned on this board.

Stats don't tell the whole story, and anyone with a brain larger than a pea knows that. Smith did a great job passing to Howard. Dickey went into protect-the-lead mode at half time after successfully passing the ball. Given the chance, Smith could have continued passing at will to Howard. Also, let's be honest, 5 of those drops were in the hands of Marshall! If you can't see that, then, oh well... you have some hate to work out.

And I thought there wasn't any bashing on this board. rolleyes.gif

As far as my hate to work out, I don't have any PERSONAL feelings whatsoever about the QB situation. I do have a logical ability to look at a player's game and determine whether or not I would want him to be a full-time starter for my favorite team. Simple enough. Maybe you should take it less personally, so that you won't have to resort to personal attacks when logic fails.

I'm not tearing down Smith to build up Hall. I'm tearing apart everybody's arguments FOR Smith, because they don't have merit. There's always some excuse for why he doesn't complete 50% of his passes, or has more turnovers than TDs, but those are the FACTS. 9-22, 126, 0-1 is NOT picking apart a secondary. I don't care who you play for or what offense you're running, it's not.

Guest JohnDenver

As far as my hate to work out, I don't have any PERSONAL feelings whatsoever about the QB situation. I do have a logical ability to look at a player's game and determine whether or not I would want him to be a full-time starter for my favorite team. Simple enough.

This thread wasn't about WHO should be the starter. And that is my point. Besides, I didn't say you had a pea-brain. I said anyone is doesn't realize that stats lie has a pea-brain. I didn't even make the assumption that was true.

Maybe you should take it less personally, so that you won't have to resort to personal attacks when logic fails.

Good one. blink.gif

I'm not tearing down Smith to build up Hall. I'm tearing apart everybody's arguments FOR Smith, because they don't have merit. There's always some excuse for why he doesn't complete 50% of his passes, or has more turnovers than TDs, but those are the FACTS. 9-22, 126, 0-1 is NOT picking apart a secondary. I don't care who you play for or what offense you're running, it's not.

THERE IS NO ARGUMENT GOING ON FOR SMITH TO BE THE STARTER. How much clearer does it need to be?! You read right through my post and picked out what you wanted. I said, as does everyone, that Hall is doing a great job. We are ALL happy. Some of us appreciate success for being success and don't pick apart Smith's numbers to prove he isn't good...