UTSA not wanting to pay Larry Coker what he is owed?

Looks like that is what they are doing.  What a shame.  Considering all the work Coker put into starting that program, UTSA needs to pay up what he is owed.  Very sad.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2016/0...rry-coker/

SAN ANTONIO — The Larry Coker story has taken a few odd twists in the last several hours.

Here is the latest:

UTSA’s former football coach said in an interview earlier this week that he is due a buyout after being fired, noting succinctly, “They let me go.”

He also said his exit from the university fell under a “termination without cause” section of his contract, which would trigger the payments.

“I had a buyout,” Coker said.  “They had to pay me to make a change.  Just whatever my contract said, that’s what they had to pay me.  It was only fair.  They knew that when they let me go.”

UTSA isn’t commenting on Coker’s assertion that he is scheduled to receive the payments.

But university officials are disputing an Express-News calculation, based on language in the coach’s contract, that his buyout could reach $1.56 million over three years.

Here is a give-and-take that between the E-N and spokesman Joe Izbrand Friday afternoon:

Izbrand: “What you’re reporting is not accurate.”

E-N: “What specifically is wrong with it?”

Izbrand: “The numbers that you are quoting as a payout to coach Coker.”

At this point, Izbrand side-stepped a question about what the payout numbers are.  He suggested that the newspaper file an open records request to get the information.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If true, that is PATHETIC.  He made their football program.  They ought to pay him double the payout amount, and when they finally get an actual football stadium in 50-100 years they ought to name it Larry Coker Stadium.  And they should change the name of their team to the Coke-Runners.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

AD Hickey shouted "Larry, hit the road-a!

Had you won more we'd a paid what we owed ya."

So with great savoir faire

He stood on a chair

And pissed in her whiskey and soda.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If true, that is PATHETIC.  He made their football program.  They ought to pay him double the payout amount, and when they finally get an actual football stadium in 50-100 years they ought to name it Larry Coker Stadium.  And they should change the name of their team to the Coke-Runners.

down in that neck of the woods this may have some validity. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Coach Bill Lewis said:

Looks like that is what they are doing.  What a shame.  Considering all the work Coker put into starting that program, UTSA needs to pay up what he is owed.  Very sad.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2016/0...rry-coker/

SAN ANTONIO — The Larry Coker story has taken a few odd twists in the last several hours.

Here is the latest:

UTSA’s former football coach said in an interview earlier this week that he is due a buyout after being fired, noting succinctly, “They let me go.”

He also said his exit from the university fell under a “termination without cause” section of his contract, which would trigger the payments.

“I had a buyout,” Coker said.  “They had to pay me to make a change.  Just whatever my contract said, that’s what they had to pay me.  It was only fair.  They knew that when they let me go.”

UTSA isn’t commenting on Coker’s assertion that he is scheduled to receive the payments.

But university officials are disputing an Express-News calculation, based on language in the coach’s contract, that his buyout could reach $1.56 million over three years.

Here is a give-and-take that between the E-N and spokesman Joe Izbrand Friday afternoon:

Izbrand: “What you’re reporting is not accurate.”

E-N: “What specifically is wrong with it?”

Izbrand: “The numbers that you are quoting as a payout to coach Coker.”

At this point, Izbrand side-stepped a question about what the payout numbers are.  He suggested that the newspaper file an open records request to get the information.

Good luck. The UT System is very uncooperative in releasing details of housekeeping.

• Upvote 1

Very strange, it is very rare for an university to even question a buyout due to the supposed fallout in hiring future coaches.  Note, all the crap that Dickey pulled and he still got paid.  

Most of the disputed pay-offs I have noticed usually involved coaches that got caught breaking NCAA rules and/or the law.  

• Upvote 1