Rice Inks $3.5 Million 3 Game Deal w/Texas

FirefightnRick

Rice will host Texas at NRG and get paid a million for it.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2016/02/texas-rice-schedule-three-game-football-series/

The Texas Longhorns and the Rice Owls have scheduled a three-game football series for 2019, 2021, and 2023, FBSchedules.com has learned.

In the first game of the series, Texas and Rice will square off at NRG Stadium in Houston on Sept. 14, 2019. The Owls will be the home team and will receive a $1 million guarantee, according to a copy of the contract obtained from The University of Texas at Austin via an open records request.

In a separate contract, Texas and Rice have scheduled two additional football games which will both be played at Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin. Texas will host Rice on Sept. 18, 2021 and will pay the Owls a $1 million guarantee. Two seasons later on Sept. 2, 2023, the Owls return to Austin for a $1.5 million guarantee.

Rick  

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 7

Some people simply get it done. Others don't, don't want to, and never will.

Cue the insane RV defenders to tell us we should never compare ourselves to Rice, because we just aren't in their league.

Except we are exactly in their conference. 

Just so much SMH...

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 10

5 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

So you (the biggest RV hater in the world) would be okay with RV scheduling us to play a "Home" game against Texas or Texas A&M at AT&T Stadium?  Yes they get paid money to host the game but then they have to follow up that game with two more on the road in Austin (no different than any other body bag game, we or any other mid major program does.)

Would you rather play UT at AT&T stadium or get beat 66-7 by Portland St. in your only OOC home game of the year? 

Rice is playing UT in their hometown. That brings credibility to their program with alums that don't really follow athletics too much. 

But, hey, I mean we have Butt Cookman, Abilene Christian, San Antonio Junior College, and a bunch of other spares at home. We really just shouldn't complain, right?

RIGHT?

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 14

Why should North Texas fans care?  Rice is an established FBS program with a long unbroken FBS history.  Apparently we can be surpassed by any upstart FBS program in the country and should not be upset according some members of gmg.com.   UNT should have made one deal like this since 1995.  We haven't hosted an upper tier Big 12 team in Denton or DFW area in 15 years.  And Texas Tech in 2001 is not an upper tier Big 12 team and the 20,000 in attendance figure for that game should confirm that for everyone.

How about thinking a little bit outside the box for ONCE?  If  hosting a State of Texas P5 school in AT&T stadium doesn't make sense.  Then why not establish an annual rivalry game in the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair every year?  You might be able peek the interest of the Houston Cougars with that.   A 10 year contract minimum should be the deal. If you can't get Houston, what about UTSA, RICE, UTEP, or Texas State?  Worst case we end up with  what  maybe ends up as nationally televised Thursday or Friday night game against Texas State.   And with the game on a Friday you could have an early release day on campus and the students could ride public transit all the way to the game from campus.  Call it the Heart of Texas Rivalry.   Hell if you are playing Bethune -Cookman, I would much rather be at the State Fair on the Friday before Gambling vs PV and the traditional PV vs Grambling battle of the bands immediately after the game.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

We have 100k alumni in the DFW area, most of which think we could never schedule a game with UT anywhere but Austin, because that is all we have ever done to their recollection.

This program needs something, anything to give it legitimacy. Playing an FCS and either SMU or Army ain't gonna cut it. Schedule a game like this 3 to 4 years out and pray to god you made the right hire with Littrell. 

It's instant credibility with casual alumni fans that this program hasn't had in years. 

Thanks RV.

• Downvote 10

23 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

We have 100k alumni in the DFW area, most of which think we could never schedule a game with UT anywhere but Austin, because that is all we have ever done to their recollection.

This program needs something, anything to give it legitimacy. Playing an FCS and either SMU or Army ain't gonna cut it. Schedule a game like this 3 to 4 years out and pray to god you made the right hire with Littrell. 

It's instant credibility with casual alumni fans that this program hasn't had in years. 

Thanks RV.

It would defiantly be nice to have the money game somewhere our fans could travel to! 

Edited by Wag Tag

7 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Thanks RV.

Lather, rinse.....repeat 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I have to say RV's scheduling is severely lacking. I have zero problem playing the big boys because it pays well, helps recruiting and if we played well we could win from time to time. The Bodybag game followed by the FCS opponent is proven failing recipe. Especially when we disgrace ourselves like last season.

RV needs to try and get some P5 schools to Denton like he said he would and at least 6 home games every season. Fans will show for P5 schools and they'll stay home for whoever Bethune-Cookman is.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

This is an AD that knows how to schedule home games that fans want to see. And notice how he basically gets a one and one with Virginia for agreeing to an additional whore game for 800k. That is thinking outside the box scheduling that this AD doesn't have the capability to accomplish.

At least the whoring got something for his players and his fans. 

Read the whole article and look who they have scheduled to play at home over the next 10 years. North Texas has NEVER had any one such meaningful home game under RV. EVER. Oh, and ODU has been a FBS program for 2 years. 

Article:

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/odu-u-va-agree-to-a--game-football-series/article_a72e7e3b-594b-5caf-8841-6c9dfa3aec3b.html

Poor little ole UNT. We just can't hope for no better. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 7

Good for Rice.  I would not want any part of this.  

1. Texas will find a way to win.  It's Texas and they do what they do.

2. Texas needs Houston exposure so this could be much more about the great AD at Texas vs the AD at Rice.

3. 2 games at Texas - 2 more miserable losses to that fanbase.

No thank you.  I would be more interested in getting the game at the Cotton Bowl during the Fair than a game at AT & T.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

29 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Are you some kinda Canuck, eh?

Learned that phrase from a Canadian refugee I knew in Hattiesburg.

200.gif They flew it on a banner when I left for Denton...guess they were mad. Chokes me up to think about it.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

Learned that phrase from a Canadian refugee I knew in Hattiesburg.

200.gif They flew it on a banner when I left for Denton...guess they were mad. Chokes me up to think about it.

Knew it had to have come from the Great White North somehow someway. Don't here that in these here parts, but it's a staple of the Canadian vocabulary.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I have ZERO interest in seeing UNT play a regular season "home game" at AT&T stadium or anywhere other than Apogee.

And, I for one love playing Army at Apogee and would love nothing more than to see a home game against one of the service academies each and every year going forward.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

I'm not sure Texas needs this game in Houston to get exposure.  Texas could do a load of laundry and get a write up in the Houston Chronicle.   I think this is an example of asking for something, getting turned down, asking another way and getting turned down, and finally getting something instead of nothing.  I admire the guts it took for somebody to make the call.

This reminds me of the man that asked every pretty girl he met for a kiss.  I heard he got slapped a lot.  But he got kissed a lot.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

This is an AD that knows how to schedule home games that fans want to see. And notice how he basically gets a one and one with Virginia for agreeing to an additional whore game for 800k. That is thinking outside the box scheduling that this AD doesn't have the capability to accomplish.

At least the whoring got something for his players and his fans. 

Read the whole article and look who they have scheduled to play at home over the next 10 years. North Texas has NEVER had any one such meaningful home game under RV. EVER. Oh, and ODU has been a FBS program for 2 years. 

Article:

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/odu-u-va-agree-to-a--game-football-series/article_a72e7e3b-594b-5caf-8841-6c9dfa3aec3b.html

Poor little ole UNT. We just can't hope for no better. 

Nice.  ODU will host UVA, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and East Carolina in the coming years.  

Youll never see that kind of effort in scheduling here.

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

13 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Nice.  ODU will host UVA, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and East Carolina in the coming years.  

Youll never see that kind of effort in scheduling here.

Rick

Worst thing this AD does, and there is certainly no lack of competition for that honor. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Talk about burying the lead. All that matters here is that this very thread brought us the sublime genius of "Butt Cookman," the finest hand crafted nickname mockery of an opponent since someone decided "MUTS" was a thing we were okay running with. 

Nothing matters anymore. 90's entire crusade has built to this moment.... and here we are. Halcyon days, my friends. Halcyon days. #GMG #BeatButt

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I'm not sure Texas needs this game in Houston to get exposure.  Texas could do a load of laundry and get a write up in the Houston Chronicle.   I think this is an example of asking for something, getting turned down, asking another way and getting turned down, and finally getting something instead of nothing.  I admire the guts it took for somebody to make the call.

This is purely a bid for Houston exposure.  UNT couldn't get this done because UT already has at least 1 game in DFW every year. 

Don't believe it's about Houston exposure?  See Charlie Strong's comments from June of last year:  "the thing we would like to do, and I know eventually it will happen, is that we come here on a consistent basis. Maybe we can get a game here, because we have so much support here with our fans. This is such a great alumni base. We go to Dallas now, and we'd just like to come here."

Other interesting notes from the article:

"The recruiting talk underscores an important point about the value of a Texas football game in Houston -- with Herman's team now a legitimate player for high-level local prospects and Texas A&M winning seven head-to-head battles over Texas in the greater Houston area in the 2014 and 2015 classes, the recruiting trends there aren't especially positive at the moment.

Throw in the fact that the number of people in Houston identifying as Aggie fans increased by 26% over the last five years while Longhorns fans decreased by 30%"

• Upvote 1