Rice Inks $3.5 Million 3 Game Deal w/Texas

FirefightnRick

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

But we don't have an NFL caliber stadium within 3 miles of our campus, let alone the same county. There's no way we could get a team like Texas, Michigan, or any other perennial Top 25 program to pay us $1 million to play them in Apogee.  It's an interesting approach for Rice but it doesn't come close to working for us.

TCU is 40 miles from UNT and they are maybe 10 to 15 miles from Arlington. They would essentially get an extra home game. Baylor is 123 miles from UNT (100 miles to Arlington if we did this at Jerry World) than UT is from Houston (161 miles). OU is 143 miles from UNT. We have 3 top 25 programs closer to us than UT is to Houston who it might actually be beneficial for to play at AT&T against UNT. They would be able to label them as neutral site games and not count in their slate of home games although they would be really close to home - almost close enough to be considered home games for TCU and Baylor. Look at A$M's scheduling last year:

Sat, Sept 5 1-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 12 2-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 19 3-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 26 4-0 (1-0)
Sat, Oct 3 5-0 (2-0)
Sat, Oct 17 5-1 (2-1)
Sat, Oct 24 5-2 (2-2)
Sat, Oct 31 6-2 (3-2)
Sat, Nov 7 6-3 (3-3)
Sat, Nov 14 7-3 (3-3)
Sat, Nov 21 8-3 (4-3)
Sat, Nov 28 8-4 (4-4)
FRANKLIN AMERICAN MORTGAGE MUSIC CITY BOWL
Wed, Dec 30 8-5 (4-4)

* Game played at neutral location.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

3 away games all year with two "neutral site" games, one (against Arizona ST.) played at NRG Stadium in Houston (pretty close to Aggie Land) and the other against Arkansas in Arlington.

I'm pretty confident we could get at least TCU and Baylor in Arlington as neutral site games and it could work in everybody's favor. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

TCU is 40 miles from UNT and they are maybe 10 to 15 miles from Arlington. They would essentially get an extra home game. Baylor is 123 miles from UNT (100 miles to Arlington if we did this at Jerry World) than UT is from Houston (161 miles). OU is 143 miles from UNT. We have 3 top 25 programs closer to us than UT is to Houston who it might actually be beneficial for to play at AT&T against UNT. They would be able to label them as neutral site games and not count in their slate of home games although they would be really close to home - almost close enough to be considered home games for TCU and Baylor. Look at A$M's scheduling last year:

Sat, Sept 5 1-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 12 2-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 19 3-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 26 4-0 (1-0)
Sat, Oct 3 5-0 (2-0)
Sat, Oct 17 5-1 (2-1)
Sat, Oct 24 5-2 (2-2)
Sat, Oct 31 6-2 (3-2)
Sat, Nov 7 6-3 (3-3)
Sat, Nov 14 7-3 (3-3)
Sat, Nov 21 8-3 (4-3)
Sat, Nov 28 8-4 (4-4)
FRANKLIN AMERICAN MORTGAGE MUSIC CITY BOWL
Wed, Dec 30 8-5 (4-4)

* Game played at neutral location.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

3 away games all year with two "neutral site" games, one (against Arizona ST.) played at NRG Stadium in Houston (pretty close to Aggie Land) and the other against Arkansas in Arlington.

I'm pretty confident we could get at least TCU and Baylor in Arlington as neutral site games and it could work in everybody's favor. 

Why would TCU schedule a neutral site game at AT&T especially for UNT with their new stadium?  They might do it again for the Advocare Classic like they did for LSU and Oregon State, but that game isn't inviting UNT.  Hell, they had Bama and Wisconsin last year.  TCU would prefer a buy FCS home game which would make more money than a neutral site game vs UNT that no 3rd party is going to pony up money for.  They could do home & home or 2-for-1 with UNT if they dropped SMU and wanted to have another nearby game.

Baylor already has a neutral site game at AT&T vs Texas Tech every year.  They aren't going to add another one.

OU already has a neutral site game in DFW too.  They aren't going to lose another home game for a neutral site unless a 3rd party pays for it like this year's Texas Kickoff Classic in Houston, an area they need to recruit that they don't otherwise have a physical presence in.

I'm all for UNT trying to get creative to get improved schedules, but the Rice deal is fairly unique because of UT's declining presence in a market they desperately need to try to keep hold of.  By the time they play Rice, it will be 10 years since they played in Houston.  Note in the article I linked to earlier said people identifying themselves as UT fans in Houston has dropped 30% in the last 5 years.  They are trying to keep aTm (and to a lesser extent Houston) from totally shutting them out of that market.

One problem for UNT trying to get Big 12 schools to play in DFW, especially neutral site, is that the Big 12 teams already play in DFW at least every other year.  They already have a presence for recruiting and for media market retention.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, NTXCoog said:

Why would TCU schedule a neutral site game at AT&T especially for UNT with their new stadium?  They might do it again for the Advocare Classic like they did for LSU and Oregon State, but that game isn't inviting UNT.  Hell, they had Bama and Wisconsin last year.  TCU would prefer a buy FCS home game which would make more money than a neutral site game vs UNT that no 3rd party is going to pony up money for.  They could do home & home or 2-for-1 with UNT if they dropped SMU and wanted to have another nearby game.

Baylor already has a neutral site game at AT&T vs Texas Tech every year.  They aren't going to add another one.

OU already has a neutral site game in DFW too.  They aren't going to lose another home game for a neutral site unless a 3rd party pays for it like this year's Texas Kickoff Classic in Houston, an area they need to recruit that they don't otherwise have a physical presence in.

I'm all for UNT trying to get creative to get improved schedules, but the Rice deal is fairly unique because of UT's declining presence in a market they desperately need to try to keep hold of.  By the time they play Rice, it will be 10 years since they played in Houston.  Note in the article I linked to earlier said people identifying themselves as UT fans in Houston has dropped 30% in the last 5 years.  They are trying to keep aTm (and to a lesser extent Houston) from totally shutting them out of that market.

One problem for UNT trying to get Big 12 schools to play in DFW, especially neutral site, is that the Big 12 teams already play in DFW at least every other year.  They already have a presence for recruiting and for media market retention.

Thank you voice of reason!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NTXCoog said:

You are exactly right--so you go talk to schools that don't play here in the area anymore, like Nebraska or Mizzou or Colorado. Of course, Colorado and Mizzou could be played at Apogee, but Nebraska wouldn't fit their fanbase at a smaller venue, but could fit at The Cotton Bowl or AT&T Stadium. To me, the Cotton Bowl would be a good venue for an afternoon game against a team like this. There aren't many teams that we couldn't host at Apogee, but a team like Nebraska or LSU are ones who couldn't.

The schools in the Big XII that could be talked into a series in Denton, I believe are Okie State, Kansas, and KSU, but we had to play in Manhattan 4 times before they came here (not a part of the same deal, but still). KU would play us, like they have Rice and La Tech, as well as other MAC teams. OSU has proven many times over that they will play anywhere: Central Michigan, ULL, Troy, FAU, and UTSA.

But our schedule is locked up for so long with SMU and Army, plus bodybag beating and bought FCS game, there is nothing that will be changing. By the time we could schedule someone here, the P5s will probably stop playing G5s altogether anyway. Look, we blew it--a long time ago. The I-AA run, finally coming up to I-A on a quarter-ass budget and facilities, and having poor leadership at the top, we made our own bed. At this point, and this is probably what RV and the leadership at UNT believe, the best we can do is try and be the best G5 program we can be, while still being able to get the P5 money. And if we had decent advertising, a decent SID, and a stronger promotional program, maybe that could happen. But we don't--and after 15 years under this AD, its fairly certain that we know what we have--and that is deemed perfectly acceptable by the powers that be. All you can do is accept it. You either follow the team or you don't--either way, they don't care, as evidenced by the lack of butts-in-seats at our football stadiums and the Super Pit.

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

16 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Our next available OOC opening is in 2020. Our schedule is planned out as far as many other FBS schools. I'd expect that final slot for 2020 to be filled in the next year or so.

I think, but I'm not sure, that most schools schedule five to ten years out. There are always late changes though - things happen and schools have to scramble to fill an open date. The challenge is matching up the open dates only a year or two out. It is NOT as easy as just picking up the phone and making a call, but it sometimes can happen. 

On February 15, 2016 at 11:31 PM, UNTLifer said:

UT owns a greater percentage of that market than Rice which was is point. You know it, FFR knows it and so does Mike Jackson but you all are too ignorant to admit it. It is hilarious how you twist your points to fit your agenda. 

It isn't twisting the point if it is true.  Using your argument about market share in this argument makes no sense.  You can't twist an argument if it isn't true.   UT owns a larger market share in Denton also.   So even if you brought UT to Apogee it would neutral site game at best.  The ticket prices would be jacked for the game and many UNT season ticket holders would sell their seats to UT fans.   And you know that is truth.  Hell even for he KSU game if I am not mistaken we (season ticket holders) had to pay a higher price for that home game compare to the rest of the season.  I have no agenda other that for UNT to do something different that might be beneficial. The fact of the matter is most people aren't interested in games against upstart FBS level teams which comprise most of UNT's home schedule most years.

• Downvote 1

My point is that it is a wash to host a team at AT&T when we would lose the revenue from parking, concessions, etc...  Apogee was built to get these people to Denton.  I wish Apogee were larger, but SMU draws P5's to Ford, so we should be able to do the same.  Jacking the ticket price has nothing to do with market share, but it has everything to do with bringing a premium opponent to Denton.

My other point was that you all act like Houston is Rice's market.  It is by geography alone.  The sheer size of the graduating classes at UT make Rice look like a pre-school and thusly the number of alumni from UT working in Houston dwarfs what Rice puts in to that market.  Throw in the usual t-shirt fans, and my point is even more accurate.

NTXCoog  hits the nail on the head above regarding our issue with drawing a Big 12 team to Apogee.  We would have a better chance attracting a team that doesn't play in this area on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

My point is that it is a wash to host a team at AT&T when we would lose the revenue from parking, concessions, etc...  Apogee was built to get these people to Denton.  I wish Apogee were larger, but SMU draws P5's to Ford, so we should be able to do the same.  Jacking the ticket price has nothing to do with market share, but it has everything to do with bringing a premium opponent to Denton.

My other point was that you all act like Houston is Rice's market.  It is by geography alone.  The sheer size of the graduating classes at UT make Rice look like a pre-school and thusly the number of alumni from UT working in Houston dwarfs what Rice puts in to that market.  Throw in the usual t-shirt fans, and my point is even more accurate.

NTXCoog  hits the nail on the head above regarding our issue with drawing a Big 12 team to Apogee.  We would have a better chance attracting a team that doesn't play in this area on a regular basis.

Here's a list of P5 schools SMU has recently brought to Ford:

• Washington State
  • Northwestern
  • Rutgers

Former SWC schools:

• Baylor
  • Texas Tech
  • aTm

I guess you could count TCU as a P5 school however they have a rivalry game that has been played for many, many years.  I do know that for the former SWC schools many times the SMU fans are vastly outnumbered by the visiting team's fans. My brother went to the SMU/Baylor game last year and so I could ask him which team had more fans present -- Baylor or SMU.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:
2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Here's a list of P5 schools SMU has recently brought to Ford:

• Washington State
  • Northwestern
  • Rutgers

Former SWC schools:

• Baylor
  • Texas Tech
  • aTm

I guess you could count TCU as a P5 school however they have a rivalry game that has been played for many, many years.  I do know that for the former SWC schools many times the SMU fans are vastly outnumbered by the visiting team's fans. My brother went to the SMU/Baylor game last year and so I could ask him which team had more fans present -- Baylor or SMU.

Rutgers was an AAC conference game, not a P5 B1G opponent.

2 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

But it does.

Let me go eat at a local rest--wait there are no good local restaurants in Arlington.

Let me go get a drink at a cool b-wait there are no bars in Arlington.

Let me take public transport-wait there is no public transportation in Arlington.

Let me go hang out at a par-wait there are no parks in Arlington.

I could keep going, but I won't. There's a reason why Arlington is in a panic to build up the area around the ballpark in fear they would get spurned by the Rangers. They should move to downtown Dallas anyway, but if they can make the area appealing it would help make Rangers games less of a beating.

I was with you until you hit the park issue. River Legacy is a road and mountain biking heaven.

Should have gone with the crime issue. Don't leave anything of value unconcealed in your vehicle. You'll be replacing a window and property.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

But it does.

Let me go eat at a local rest--wait there are no good local restaurants in Arlington.

Let me go get a drink at a cool b-wait there are no bars in Arlington.

Let me take public transport-wait there is no public transportation in Arlington.

Let me go hang out at a par-wait there are no parks in Arlington.

I could keep going, but I won't. There's a reason why Arlington is in a panic to build up the area around the ballpark in fear they would get spurned by the Rangers. They should move to downtown Dallas anyway, but if they can make the area appealing it would help make Rangers games less of a beating.

Your lack of knowledge of the area has skewed your view.  Outside of the public transportation issue, you missed on all the others due to lack of knowledge.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1