Benford's Replacement

Dr. Seuss

Hope Im not asking a dumb question but.....does TRS cover universities? and if so there's absolutely no way that 100% of a head coaching salary can count towards your highest years right?

"Throw enough money at him and I bet he would come back (bump that TRS 'final 5-yr avg' up a little).
If LSU is anywhere near the bubble, they're in... simply because of Simmons"

Edited by grossman
forgot to quote

47 minutes ago, DougRush said:

Tim Duryea.  Former point guard here who played in the N.C.A.A. tournament.  Denton High School alumni.  Former assistant under Jankovich here and one of his best friends.  And current head coach at Utah State. 

Not sure we could get him here. It could be argued that Utah State is a better job than this one...

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Harry said:

@Mean_Green09 has a valid point.  If you read some of the articles and peruse their fan sites, Johnny's deal could go either way based on the next couple of games and the tourney.  I hope for his sake it goes well. 

Well sure, LSU had a bad couple of weeks.  About seven to ten days ago most bracketology sites had them borderline in and moving up.  After losing three straight they aren't even close to the bubble.

On 2/19/2016 at 10:29 AM, grossman said:

Hope Im not asking a dumb question but.....does TRS cover universities? and if so there's absolutely no way that 100% of a head coaching salary can count towards your highest years right?

"Throw enough money at him and I bet he would come back (bump that TRS 'final 5-yr avg' up a little).
If LSU is anywhere near the bubble, they're in... simply because of Simmons"

The only school who still uses TRS to my knowledge is the University of Texas Austin.  It has a huge impact as coaches can go there (McGuire from Cedar Hill most recent who had the opportunity) he was offered TE coach for approx 225 K per year, well he certainly wouldn't get fired after 1 or even 2 years as Cedar Hill pumps out as much talent (high end also) as any HS in Texas.  So he would be looking at his highest 5 years, at minimum 2 of those years are at 225 his other years as Cedar Hill HC/AD, are around 115...not a bad nest egg to come home to whenever he decides to call it quits. 

17 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Anyone have a gauge on the situation with the AD? Will Benford be fired if teh team doesn't win the CUSA tourney?

Benford could lose out and lose a first round CUSA tourney game and still have a 50/50 chance of coaching at UNT next year.

This is the one hire Fly and Kram have not been able to excuse away (yet... Give time, they will). I don't know that RV's ego will allow him to admit a terrible mistake.

It's hasn't for 4 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

The only school who still uses TRS to my knowledge is the University of Texas Austin.  It has a huge impact as coaches can go there (McGuire from Cedar Hill most recent who had the opportunity) he was offered TE coach for approx 225 K per year, well he certainly wouldn't get fired after 1 or even 2 years as Cedar Hill pumps out as much talent (high end also) as any HS in Texas.  So he would be looking at his highest 5 years, at minimum 2 of those years are at 225 his other years as Cedar Hill HC/AD, are around 115...not a bad nest egg to come home to whenever he decides to call it quits. 

Wow thats crazy. Had no clue college jobs could be counted toward TRS. No wonder why Traylor would leave a HS powerhouse where we could stay at forever for UT.

• Upvote 1

Just now, grossman said:

Wow thats crazy. Had no clue college jobs could be counted toward TRS. No wonder why Traylor would leave a HS powerhouse where we could stay at forever for UT.

Yes sir.  I have argued that North Texas needs to get on the boat and allow those things to happen.  It would attract some pretty good HS coaches. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1