MGB: NFL Combine invitation list out

Brett Vito

This is something that must change.  

According to http://nflcombineresults.com/ the below is a list of some of the Texas schools that have had NFL Combine invitees more recent than NT's last representative (Adrian Awasom's in '05)...

• Abilene Christian
  • Sam Houston State
  • Stephen F Austin
  • Texas A&M Commerce
  • Texas State
  • UTSA
  • UTEP

8 minutes ago, jdennis82 said:

This is something that must change.  

According to http://nflcombineresults.com/ the below is a list of some of the Texas schools that have had NFL Combine invitees more recent than NT's last representative (Adrian Awasom's in '05)...

• Abilene Christian
  • Sam Houston State
  • Stephen F Austin
  • Texas A&M Commerce
  • Texas State
  • UTSA
  • UTEP

So RV's football hires have NEVER had a player invited to the combine? Shocked, I tell ya, just shocked. I'm sure that is NEVER brought up in recruiting...

#vision.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Did anyone watch this team last year? The NFL wouldn't be elite if they invited anyone on our 3rd rate 2015 squad. Sorry but it's true. 

No invites for any player in 11 years, not just 2015. Just one more thing for which we can say...

#ThanksRV

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

16 hours ago, UNT90 said:

And who remembers the last player drafted from UNT?

But ya, nothing to see here. Nothing is RV's fault. He has been such a wonderful AD and a great friend to many...

Cody Spencer in 2004. Man we had some really good linebackers in that run.

Cody Spencer

Chris Hurd

Derek Mendoza

Brad Kassell

Taylor Casey

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Cody Spencer in 2004. Man we had some really good linebackers in that run.

Cody Spencer

Chris Hurd

Derek Mendoza

Brad Kassell

Taylor Casey

Again, no player drafted under any coach that Rick Villarreal hired.

#ThanksRV

#vision

#itsallajoke

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

4 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

your question: RV has hired how many coaches now who haven't been able to get a player invited to the combine?

the answer is 2...Dodge and Mac.

if you can't even keep up with your own bitching how do you expect the rest of us to? 

Lol. You win the internet.

Technically, the answer is 3. Just sayin...

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 10

40 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Lol. You win the internet.

Technically, the answer is 3. Just sayin...

totes...#firelittrell.

and frankly the lack combine invitees seems more an indictment on the NFL than our coaches/AD given how at the least a handful of players over the past decade or so have carved out at least a decent NFL career...far exceeding those of some of the "measurables" guys teams tend to focus on in the draft. 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

totes...#firelittrell.

and frankly the lack combine invitees seems more an indictment on the NFL than our coaches/AD given how at the least a handful of players over the past decade or so have carved out at least a decent NFL career...far exceeding those of some of the "measurables" guys teams tend to focus on in the draft. 

You don't think program reputation played into those lack of invites? You don't think lack of player promotion played into those lack of invites? 

Both Dunbar and Zach Orr would have received an invite if they had played for Sam Houston or Abilene Christian during the same time period. Just another failure by this AD. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10

18 hours ago, Aldo said:

I know everyone's going with the oh here we go attitude

but RV is in charge of hiring the people that do the recruiting and coaching.

If we keep having to fire and hire people in charge of the recruiting and coaching, who do we blame?

If I keep having to fire all three of my employees because they're bad at what they do, and it costs my department over THREE MILLION DOLLARS should I be in charge of doing this anymore (even if I did make some bad ass maps, and I got the department a shiny new 60 inch plotter)?

So, blame RV for no one getting invited to the combine?  Do we, then, credit him for guys who made it to The League while he's been AD?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OrrxZa00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DunbLa00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AwasAd20.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CobbPa00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KassBr20.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OlawJa00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RobeCr00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SpenCo20.htm

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

If we're being picky? Not Cody Spencer. Not Patrick Cobbs. Not Awasom. Not Kassell. Recruited before he got here.

Everyone else sure.

He hasn't had a player drafted or invited to the combine.

The program is the reflection of him. Those that work for him is a reflection on him. He is the Athletic Director.

He is the one that takes responsibility for the success or failures of his program. 

Beautiful new stadjum? Heck yeah take credit for it. 3 failing major sports programs? He must take credit for that too.

It's his responsibility to improve the programs. Why? Because he's the Athletic Director. It's his job. 

It's his job.

• Upvote 4

There a lot of things RV is terrible at. We don't need to manufacture $hit to enhance that--which is what is happening here.

All of this, RV being the AD, hiring coaches that cannot make a dent in recruiting or have no idea how to coach a college football team, having absolutely no sway in Texas HS Coaches or recruits minds, and having very little media and fan interest--it all stems from two things: apathy from the university's leadership being funneled down to the students, faculty, and alumni, as well as the gut punch that almost killed the program by dropping down to 1-aa for 12 freaking years in the 80s and 90s. You are literally dealing with a program that no more than 2% of its potential students and alumni base even follow--the coaches and recruits only know us as a loser, even if they don't know much else about us (see the Aledo kid earlier this year that said he had no idea about UNT as an option).

Its gonna take a special coach to rebuild this thing up. Somebody who can coach up low rated and unrated kids to beat CUSA programs, while not getting completely defeated by the fact that UNT is difficult to recruit to (see McCarney's evolution from rah-rah guy to bitter, old man coach in 4 years). Littrell is next in line to try this. And maybe he can do it, when the previous coaches since Dickey's SBC run ended in 2004, couldn't. But even Dickey pulled that off by miraculously pulling in some very solid recruits--not getting kids that had only one FBS offer (us). Littrell's job is one that is damn near Herculean. If he pulls it off, he will have earned every single cent that he will get paid after this monumental achievement. We thought Dodge left Mac with nothing, but it was more to the point that he couldn't coach at this level, since there was some very developable talent here then. I don't know how anyone can look at what Littrell has inherited and think its even closely similar, from a talent standpoint, to what Mac inherited. Its like looking down a well and realizing that you can't even see water. That's where we are right now. Its gonna take a monumental effort just to get water in the bucket, much less to just get it up to the top of the well.

• Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Kinda just shows the perception of the NFL of UNT, don't you think? 

I mean, the players were that good, yet he couldn't even generate enough PR around them to get them an invite to a combine. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

That's where we are right now. Its gonna take a monumental effort just to get water in the bucket, much less to just get it up to the top of the well.

I know it's a beating to rehash this.

RV is in charge of getting water in the bucket. It's his well.

RV was in charge of hiring Dodge. Mac. Now Littrell.

RV is in charge of finding that special coach.

I want RV to succeed. I really do. Because that would mean a successful UNT Football program.

We are at the bottom, and RV is in charge of bringing us back from the darkness. It's his program.

Hopefully he's done it with Littrell. 

9 hours ago, UNT90 said:

So RV's football hires have NEVER had a player invited to the combine? Shocked, I tell ya, just shocked. I'm sure that is NEVER brought up in recruiting...

#vision.

I'm sure the recruits that didn't choose North Texas told Littrell and Co that they weren't going to sign with us because the athletic director has never hired a coach who had a player invited to the NFL combine. That makes a ton of sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me. They would just ignore the success of the guys below and go to another program based on the athletic director's success in the 3 main sports. I get it.

11306734.jpeg?1441828528lance-dunbar.jpg458910998-zach-orr-of-the-baltimore-rave

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I'm sure the recruits that didn't choose North Texas told Littrell and Co that they weren't going to sign with us because the athletic director has never hired a coach who had a player invited to the NFL combine. 

A recruit sees a school that has seen one draft pick in their lifetime. What do you say to them, other than, hey you'll be the first!

It's all a part of the culture change that we all hope is happening under Littrell. Winning more, getting more quality players that end up getting drafted, etc.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Aldo said:

I know it's a beating to rehash this.

RV is in charge of getting water in the bucket. It's his well.

RV was in charge of hiring Dodge. Mac. Now Littrell.

RV is in charge of finding that special coach.

I want RV to succeed. I really do. Because that would mean a successful UNT Football program.

We are at the bottom, and RV is in charge of bringing us back from the darkness. It's his program.

Hopefully he's done it with Littrell. 

^^^^^

Really gets it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

I don't understand why this topic became  a rehash of RV lack luster job performance.  The fact that UTSA has an invite and not UNT should make every UNT far on gmg.com boiling mad.   The fact is there are very few players on this team with P5 starting level talent so why would they be invited to the NFL combine?   Coach Mac praised the senior TE we had on the roster last year but they weren't invited to the combine either.   I don't know off hand but I would suspect they weren't invited to the Senior Bowl either.  That speaks volumes about Mac's talent appraisal and coaching development of his players.   I am kind of disappointed that the new offense will phasing out the TE position.  I believe those players around that size are often undervalued and you can find diamonds in the ruff by recruiting them.  They can be switched back forth between DE and TE.  The question is now do any of you see the NFL Combine/Senior Bowl UNT player invite drought ending in 2017?  If who would do you think is the most likely to do it?

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2