Historic moments in UNT athletics

Tyler Maryak

"On a different note, but one that was not good news on the national scene, was when our football team got caught stealing hundreds of towels, sheets, and blankets from a hotel in Logan, Utah...that one made USA Today and CNN back in the mid 90's..."

Heh, heh. I remember that but even here, we are not alone.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/524986/AT-BAUGH-MOTEL-TEAMS-THROW-IN-THE-TOWEL.html?pg=all

Edited by letsgiveacheer

On February 11, 2016 at 0:05 PM, UNTLifer said:

And this is why I would use our season opening game against SMU to celebrate the true breaking of the color barrier/  This would be the 60th Anniversary season and a great way to get the word out while indirectly shutting down SMU's version with Levias.  That always drove me crazy.

On February 11, 2016 at 0:31 PM, Army of Dad said:

That's a great idea, have you called the AD about it?

For real; this should happen.

• Upvote 1

Beating ULM on ESPN at the Super Pit to earn our first trip to the NCAA's in 1988.

On February 11, 2016 at 0:31 PM, Army of Dad said:

That's a great idea, have you called the AD about it?

Call the AD?   Your not confidant  that the AD can think up something like that on their own?  LOL!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Spoiler

green.o g we were at that game, too.    A Utah State running back fumbled at about the one yard line.   The ball rolled to the back of the end zone where our corner back picked it up.  I am yelling for him to get down and take a touchback giving us the ball at the twenty yard line.   Instead, he takes off like a rocket, jumps a Utah State defender at about the five yard line and is GONE.   I went from yelling "get down" to yelling "go, go, go" to yelling "touchdown" all in a period of just a few seconds.   It was quite a play/

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Maduro said:

Look at that crowd. Nowadays @flyonthewall is calling 1600 a "heavily attended" game.

That was a great moment. It was fun to experience it. Now we are waiting for a firing we all knew would happen halfway through the 2012 season, yet we were made to wait 3 1/2 years for the AD to do what was needed. And there is no guarantee that it even happens this year.

So North Texas

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

1 minute ago, Ryan Munthe said:

You're such an asswhipping. Can't you set aside your whiny childish bitching for one thread to talk about our history?

This must be the name calling that  you accuse me of, eh? 

If seing that crowd doesn't make you angry at what has been allowed to happened in that program over the last 4 years and instead makes you angry at me, well, you deserve the misery you get. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

41 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Of course it makes me angry. I just don't feel the need to whine and cry about it nonstop. Like, I like to talk about other things. I have other interests. You know? 

Or do you?

hmm.

*kicks himself for feeding the troll yet again*

It's too bad I never worked in the ticket office or MGC. Would've cancelled your club seats, sent you a refund check and a signed Derek Thompson post card.

Maybe would've gotten fired but it would have been oh-so-worth it.

Wow. You really are an RV disciple, aren't you?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

On February 11, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Ben Gooding said:

I  wasn't around for this, but I would have to say that Dickey's 4 year undefeated conference title run has to take the cake. Sunbelt or not, that is a once a program kind of milestone. It's also something that needs to be celebrated and also marketed. 

Littrell did that and got bashed on here. Used Quinn, used old footage used Cobbs, used the goal posts being torn down and got murdered. 

On February 13, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Maduro said:

Everyone please watch and remember where we used to be and the greatness this program was, now look what Benford has done. SMH 

On February 13, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Huff said:
  Reveal hidden contents

green.o g we were at that game, too.    A Utah State running back fumbled at about the one yard line.   The ball rolled to the back of the end zone where our corner back picked it up.  I am yelling for him to get down and take a touchback giving us the ball at the twenty yard line.   Instead, he takes off like a rocket, jumps a Utah State defender at about the five yard line and is GONE.   I went from yelling "get down" to yelling "go, go, go" to yelling "touchdown" all in a period of just a few seconds.   It was quite a play/

Welcome to coaching lol great ones make you look silly and good all at the same time

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Littrell did that and got bashed on here. Used Quinn, used old footage used Cobbs, used the goal posts being torn down and got murdered. 

Everyone please watch and remember where we used to be and the greatness this program was, now look what Benford has done. SMH 

Welcome to coaching lol great ones make you look silly and good all at the same time

The fall of this program in that short amount of time is perhaps unprecedented. No way RV should shoulder any of this. 

On February 11, 2016 at 0:05 PM, UNTLifer said:

And this is why I would use our season opening game against SMU to celebrate the true breaking of the color barrier/  This would be the 60th Anniversary season and a great way to get the word out while indirectly shutting down SMU's version with Levias.  That always drove me crazy.

If this is the 60th anniversary of the Texas College Football color barrier being broken:  UNT MUST use this an opportunity to announce some substantial athletic building honoring Coach Mitchell.  The fact that this is not well known except to Mean Green fans is simply unacceptable. I think part of the reason that UNT football got "black balled" back in the day was due to our University's forward thinking.  And we are still suffering some of those repercussion of being "black balled" back then today.  I have heard our series with one of the Mississippi schools was ended due to this also.