How cheap did you drink in college?

NTAlum09

17 hours ago, NTAlum09 said:

Sidebar just closed it's doors last year.

I cannot tell yall how excited I was to see this. Easily my least favorite bar other than Public House.

I liked to Lucky Lou's for $2 double vodka red bulls and long islands. I'm so thankful for always having a DD around during those nights.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, That_Guy_Arlo said:

I cannot tell yall how excited I was to see this. Easily my least favorite bar other than Public House.

I liked to Lucky Lou's for $2 double vodka red bulls and long islands. I'm so thankful for always having a DD around during those nights.

That's a little harsh. Sure, it was a crappy bar, but it was great place for a quick cheap beer or a cup of their famous Everclear punch. I think I was about 2 for 300 on my bottle cap shots.

I've traveled damn-near all of the US by this point and I have never come across a town so cheap and easy in which to get drunk than Denton. we were all incredibly spoiled. 

I was in Denton from '01-'05-ish...early days of college (read pre-21, fraternally-active) were spent mostly on the Avenue A side of things...Tavern, Side Bar, Mother's...as I aged and distanced from greek life I turned the corner (if you will) and spent most of my nights at Riprock's and Lou's. standard Fry nights would be whatever light beer was on special, namely meant to chase the inevitable numerous rounds of shots. there were also plenty of later-year nights spent at Andy's and Rubber Glove's listening to (usually) shitty bands and drinking $2 big-beers. 

now when I go back my time is spent nearly exclusively on the Square, mostly willingly giving @JohnWilliams my money 

my last two or so years in Denton my typical tab would be about $20-25...I was bartending at that point and I had enough friends working that the standard move would be to buy a round of beers and shots...usually already knocked down to $10 or so and then over-tip and drink mostly for free the rest of the night, with the understanding that such accommodations would be re-paid when they came to visit me behind the bar. the occasional crack-down on the comp-tabs by our bosses was the only thing that would ever raise our tabs...and that usually lasted a week or so.   

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, greenminer said:

1999 - 2003

When I first got to Denton, there was a place next to Karma Cafe (State Line? State Club?) that had nickel beers served in cups.  The venue was gone before I graduated.

I was going to mention State Club as well.  It was awful, but it was awfully cheap.

Everybody rotated their specials, so it was good to just keep an eye out.  Could usually get Dollar Double Wells at least 2 nights a week on Fry, and there was usually beer for a buck or two or pitchers for just a couple/three-ish bucks all over town.  Lots of $2-3 you-call-it as well.  We really were spoiled.  Almost everywhere I've been in this country, the specials are at least double what we paid.  Luckily, most of the time when I'm traveling, other people buy my drinks.

As for store-bought, handles of Jim Beam were what, 16 bucks?  Most of the time that would last at least a day or two.  The Brookshire's on Teasley had Rock Green Light when it first came out for like $6 per 12-pack for about a year, so that was my at-home beer for that time period.  I tried to stay away from super-cheap booze like McCormick's and Wild Turkey, especially since the first time I got sick from drinking was nasty McCormick's vodka.  However, once in a while you'll find an off-brand that's pleasantly surprising.  Early Times is a pretty close substitute for Jim Beam.

I was there from 2000-2005 and Nickle Natty's on Tuesdays was awesome...   $5 to get in the door then $5 more got you and your buddies taken care of....   always had to tip the bartender though.  I forget what bar that was but they had darts upstairs...

We found 18 packs of Milwakee's Best Light at the race track on teasley once for $3.95   we bought all of them and filled the fridge.  I can't even look at that stuff with out getting queezy....

in 2000, where the garage is I think....    there used to be a bar that did .75 shiners on Wednesday that was good...

But as a Jim Beam fan, that city is the best.   $2 jim beam shots all over town, cant beat that.

37 minutes ago, hickoryhouse said:

I was there from 2000-2005 and Nickle Natty's on Tuesdays was awesome...   $5 to get in the door then $5 more got you and your buddies taken care of....   always had to tip the bartender though.  I forget what bar that was but they had darts upstairs...

We found 18 packs of Milwakee's Best Light at the race track on teasley once for $3.95   we bought all of them and filled the fridge.  I can't even look at that stuff with out getting queezy....

in 2000, where the garage is I think....    there used to be a bar that did .75 shiners on Wednesday that was good...

But as a Jim Beam fan, that city is the best.   $2 jim beam shots all over town, cant beat that.

funny...i love some best...it's a case of that on game days and after some yard work or day drinking...

6 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I've traveled damn-near all of the US by this point and I have never come across a town so cheap and easy in which to get drunk than Denton. we were all incredibly spoiled. 

This is such the truth, it is not even funny! I have a coworker that lives in Dallas, come down to Eastside and drink with some buddies and me one weekend. And the whole time his was commenting about how cheap it is to drink in Denton. It was the Christmas of drinking nights for the guy.

I finally knew what the guy was talking about when my friends and I stopped by a bar in Dallas a couple months ago. Never again, will i take Denton for granted...

50 cent cups at the Green Derby (+free sandwiches and popcorn on Fridays).  At home -- Shaefer, generic beer (the can just said "Beer") for about $2 a 6-pack.

Speaking of college drinking habits, here's a nostalgic view of the Flying Tomato, ca. mid-80s.  For those of you who were there.  You're welcome.  

FlyingTomatointerior.jpg

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

50 cent cups at the Green Derby (+free sandwiches and popcorn on Fridays).  At home -- Shaefer, generic beer (the can just said "Beer") for about $2 a 6-pack.

Speaking of college drinking habits, here's a nostalgic view of the Flying Tomato, ca. mid-80s.  For those of you who were there.  You're welcome.  

FlyingTomatointerior.jpg

The Tomato will always have a special place in my heart.   So many late nights we'd stumble in some kind of inebriated, order a pizza, a few pitchers, and set the jukebox playing "Rolling" by Limp Bizkit for as many times straight as we could afford.   Great people watching. 

RIP

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

FlyingTomatointerior.jpg

Are you sure this picture is from the 80's?    Looks like it could have been from the early 90's.
No wonder the place burned down so easily...  The same interior was coated with 20+ years of pizza grease.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Are you sure this picture is from the 80's?    Looks like it could have been from the early 90's.
No wonder the place burned down so easily...  The same interior was coated with 20+ years of pizza grease.

Yeah, I'm sure.  I'm in it, actually.  But you're right -- it didn't change much.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

$1.50 was a lot for Old Milwaukee-anything was too much.  Terrible beer but after the third one no one cares.

Still, it was the cheapest beer anywhere in Denton, and it was a short walk from Bruce Hall.  So we drank it.

5 hours ago, GBarksdale said:

FlyingTomatointerior.jpg

Pic is from, I'd guess 87-88. The guy in the front wearing the white shirt (Emery) was a close friend of GMoney's older brother and now lives in Winter Park, CO. He's talking with a mullet guy (Bowen) in the leather Members Only style jacket  (and yes, it was horribly outdated by then) lives in Lewisville, and the blonde in white (Maureen) is a former girlfriend of mine who now lives in Chandler, AZ.

5 hours ago, GBarksdale said:

FlyingTomatointerior.jpg

Awesome photo.  Brings back memories.