I-35 Rivalry

brooks91

I always enjoyed playing Southwest Texas State (now Texas State - San Marcos) in our old Southland Conference years.   The trip to San Marcos is not that bad.   You can be there and back on the same day if you want to do that.   Their stadium was okay and I believe it has been upgraded since then.    If SMU shuts down our series with them I would have no problem with Texas State as a replacement

• Upvote 3

SMU looks at us the way we look at UTSA, when it comes to rivalry talk. SMU will ALWAYS look at TCU, for many reasons, as their ultimate rival. And they should. But they also have UH, Tulsa, and Tulane, as well. We aren't their rivals, but they know we view them as ours.

It all goes back to the college football totem pole. The AAC > CUSA > SBC. Since these three conferences house the 7 G5s in our state, we know that UH and SMU view the rest of us in CUSA as beneath them, even if they play us. And the entire Texas CUSA contingent looks down on Texas State, but it doesn't mean they won't get to play someone hire than them in the Texas G5 world.

I still go back to the fact that the SBCUSA teams really should realign themselves into geographically oriented divisions, with the exception of Idaho. That's 24 teams. Nobody cares about playing NMSU in Florida, nor does anyone in Texas care about playing Charlotte.

NMSU, UTEP, Texas State, UTSA, UNT, Rice, La Tech, ULM, ULL, Arkansas State, USM, and UAB

USA, Troy, MUTS, WKU, Marshall, ODU, Appy State, Charlotte, FIU, FAU, Ga St, and GA Southern

Champions play each other in a bowl game...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

SMU looks at us the way we look at UTSA, when it comes to rivalry talk. SMU will ALWAYS look at TCU, for many reasons, as their ultimate rival. And they should. But they also have UH, Tulsa, and Tulane, as well. We aren't their rivals, but they know we view them as ours.

It all goes back to the college football totem pole. The AAC > CUSA > SBC. Since these three conferences house the 7 G5s in our state, we know that UH and SMU view the rest of us in CUSA as beneath them, even if they play us. And the entire Texas CUSA contingent looks down on Texas State, but it doesn't mean they won't get to play someone hire than them in the Texas G5 world.

I still go back to the fact that the SBCUSA teams really should realign themselves into geographically oriented divisions, with the exception of Idaho. That's 24 teams. Nobody cares about playing NMSU in Florida, nor does anyone in Texas care about playing Charlotte.

NMSU, UTEP, Texas State, UTSA, UNT, Rice, La Tech, ULM, ULL, Arkansas State, USM, and UAB

USA, Troy, MUTS, WKU, Marshall, ODU, Appy State, Charlotte, FIU, FAU, Ga St, and GA Southern

Jim, I commend you for your use of paragraphs.  Very readable.  Your content is always good; now, it's also readable.  I was about to ask for your address and send you a copy of an old AP Stylebook.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Yes.  My thoughts as well. 

Problem:  Which bowl game, and which network, picks up a game between two teams no one knows about nationally?  Although, you could probably say that about 75% of the bowl games these days.

With UNM hosting the "New Mexico Bowl" I'll never understand why we, with out new and superior stadium, don't have a "Denton Bowl" or "Jazz Bowl" or something.  (3, 2, 1...waiting for 90's RV missive to insert here.) 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I bet they have a much larger turnout this year than the last game in Denton which was at most a couple of hundred.  If they can't bring a couple of thousand thirty something miles for their opening game against anyone, then they have a lot more problems than NT.    

^ This. Regardless of opponent this should happen even if it is lil ol poor UNT located in nasty Denton. 

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

Nasty? I get it that the perception may be small party college town, but nasty? Who said that?

He's quoting the prim-and-proper North Dallas crowd at SMU. They think Denton is nasty and hate that their school even plays us in any sport in Denton--which is why they won't come up here for a game (see 2006 and 2014).

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

He's quoting the prim-and-proper North Dallas crowd at SMU. They think Denton is nasty and hate that their school even plays us in any sport in Denton--which is why they won't come up here for a game (see 2006 and 2014).

If anyone from SMU ever said "Nasty" it was probably someone that came to a game at Fouts. In that case it would be somewhat understandable........especially if they had to use the restroom.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SilverEagle said:

If anyone from SMU ever said "Nasty" it was probably someone that came to a game at Fouts. In that case it would be somewhat understandable........especially if they had to use the restroom.

True.

SMU fans are a rare breed--as in you rarely meet one--outside of North Dallas.

But they got money, location, and media. But they also have just a big enough name to get donkey-punched by the NCAA for cheating. Never punish the P5 big boys, but find a big enough name just outside of that group to place sanctions upon. Some might even call that "Nasty"...

• Upvote 2

On 2/7/2016 at 2:05 PM, SilverEagle said:

You know, if we could trade UTSA for Texas State I would do it in less than a second. I would much rather have Texas State in our conference. To me they would make a more "natural" rival than UTSA.  But I do agree that we need a rival. As I've pointed out many times, we haven't had a real one since we were in the same conference with TAMU Commerce. THEY were our big rivalry game.

We can pretend that we've started a rivalry with SMU, but as my dear departed mother used to say "It takes two to Tango", and I don't think that SMU regards us as a suitable long term dance partner. Besides, they have the cash on hand to buy us out of our series with them any time they want.........sudden end to our fantasy rivalry.

Rivalries happen between schools that are part of the same conference and are required to play one another every year. They are the best chance to increase interest of students and alumni of both schools, and at the same time increase attendance......at least for those games. 

We better get over ourselves, attitude wise, regarding some of our conference mates. Our best possibilities for a rivalry are UTSA and La Tech. Of the two, I would prefer La Tech, but I'll take either one......or even both.

So we better get with it.

I actually agree with this. I want to see games with UNT vs. TX State, the only problem is... The fact that they are a Sun Belt team.. Which doesn't help our reputation if we beat them or especially if they beat us. We are seeking fights with the bigger fish in the sea.. And as of right now, TX State wouldn't fit that category. If we ever see a conference change up, I would hope TX State and UNT could sit on the same list and develop a series.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

True.

SMU fans are a rare breed--as in you rarely meet one--outside of North Dallas.

But they got money, location, and media. But they also have just a big enough name to get donkey-punched by the NCAA for cheating. Never punish the P5 big boys, but find a big enough name just outside of that group to place sanctions upon. Some might even call that "Nasty"...

Ohhhh, I think I know. Pink Izods, designer jeans, BMW, boat shoes, sweaters with the arms tied, yes? I remember those guys! The d bag quotient is nauseating. Lol.

There is one Texas team below NT on the conference picking order, and that the one some of you want so badly to play.   Nothing against Texas State at San Marcos, but I don't know what they add that the three other Texas members of CUSA don't.  If you want to play a Belt team, I would go with ULL.   

Whether anyone wants to admit it, our non-guarantee game oc schedule of Army and SMU is about as good as it can get.   Two winnable games against teams people have heard of.  I don't like the fc division buy game, but if you are going to insist on a consistent 6 home game season and play an away guarantee game every year, it has to happen.   

Edited by GrandGreen

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

There is one Texas team below NT on the conference picking order, and that the one some of you want so badly to play.   Nothing against Texas State at San Marcos, but I don't know what they add that the three other Texas members of CUSA don't.  If you want to play a Belt team, I would go with ULL.   

Whether anyone wants to admit it, our non-guarantee game oc schedule of Army and SMU is about as good as it can get.   Two winnable games against teams people have heard of.  I don't like the fc division buy game, but if you are going to insist on a consistent 6 home game season and play an away guarantee game every year, it has to happen.   

I think Texas St., Arkansas St., ULL, UTEP, ULM, Charlotte, ODU, SMU, and a whole host of other G5s prove your scheduling theory wrong. 

But how could little old UNT ever hope to be in the same realm as those college football behemoths, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, man-up UNT said:

Texas State should be in the CUSA conference; would make for a great rivalry. We should make this a priority to get them on our schedule ASAP! They have over 25,000 students and are growing...  

I think we should make it a priority to schedule teams that people care about and are at CUSA level or above. 

Good Lord. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

55 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I think Texas St., Arkansas St., ULL, UTEP, ULM, Charlotte, ODU, SMU, and a whole host of other G5s prove your scheduling theory wrong. 

But how could little old UNT ever hope to be in the same realm as those college football behemoths, right?

OK, how is it wrong?  You tell me a way with a guarantee away game, how you schedule 2 OC at home annually without buying a home game almost always from the FC division.   It is not theory, it is math.   

13 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

OK, how is it wrong?  You tell me a way with a guarantee away game, how you schedule 2 OC at home annually without buying a home game almost always from the FC division.   It is not theory, it is math.   

Well, at UNT, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you just have 5 home games so you can whore yourself twice in the same season while STILL HAVING A HOME GAME AGAINST AN FCS, THE ONLY OOC HOME GAME THAT YEAR. See 2015. 

Or you schedule so poorly, that you are stuck with a 5 home game season with your only OOC home game being an FCS. See 2012. 

So playing one whore game a year  while scheduling one FCS to balance isn't exactly what has happened at UNT, is it?

But the main part of your post I was referring to was the "SMU and Army are the best series we can hope for" BS. If Rick Villarreal is your AD, it is the best you can hope for. Problem is just about every one of our peers does better.

But again, we are poor little ole UNT, so we should just accept the crappy scraps thrown to us by Rick Villarreal, right?

And, oh my God, what would happen if we actually got a 1 and 1 against a P5? How would that throw a wrench into your EXTREMELY simplistic scheduling plan? But we don't want that to happen, because we WANT to whore our young men to P5 programs. Maybe we should schedule a whore game with Penn St. and invite their coaches to shower with our players afterward? I mean, if your gonna whore...

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 3

30 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Well, at UNT, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you just have 5 home games so you can whore yourself twice in the same season while STILL HAVING A HOME GAME AGAINST AN FCS, THE ONLY OOC HOME GAME THAT YEAR. See 2015. 

Or you schedule so poorly, that you are stuck with a 5 home game season with your only OOC home game being an FCS. See 2012. 

So playing one whore game a year  while scheduling one FCS to balance isn't exactly what has happened at UNT, is it?

But the main part of your post I was referring to was the "SMU and Army are the best series we can hope for" BS. If Rick Villarreal is your AD, it is the best you can hope for. Problem is just about every one of our peers does better.

But again, we are poor little ole UNT, so we should just accept the crappy scraps thrown to us by Rick Villarreal, right?

And, oh my God, what would happen if we actually got a 1 and 1 against a P5? How would that throw a wrench into your EXTREMELY simplistic scheduling plan? But we don't want that to happen, because we WANT to whore our young men to P5 programs. Maybe we should schedule a whore game with Penn St. and invite their coaches to shower with our players afterward? I mean, if your gonna whore...

Got it in before the lock!!!! Yes!! 

1 hour ago, man-up UNT said:

Texas State should be in the CUSA conference; would make for a great rivalry. We should make this a priority to get them on our schedule ASAP! They have over 25,000 students and are growing...  

Not any time soon. CUSA has stated they do NOT want another Texas team in an expansion. CUSA has all the major  media markets covered.