Well This Sucks!

DeepGreen

This mornings edition of the Austin-American Statesman covered football signings for all Texas FBS teams except..........................................North Texas!!!   Isn't that just great!

Tell me, 'cause I really don't know, isn't it the responsibility of the UNT Sports Information Director to get this information out to the news services?  Or, did the Statesman simply choose not to include North Texas recruiting information?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Is anyone really surprised at this. We have had one winning season since 2004. ONE. That is pathetic and nothing will change regarding our perception until that changes. We have to accept the fact that until we start winning consistently, we are irrelevant to media outside of DFW. How does everyone on here feel about Eastern Michigan's program? That's how people outside of Denton feel about us. Sad but true. Fix this thing Seth!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 6

21 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

This mornings edition of the Austin-American Statesman covered football signings for all Texas FBS teams except..........................................North Texas!!!   Isn't that just great!

Tell me, 'cause I really don't know, isn't it the responsibility of the UNT Sports Information Director to get this information out to the news services?  Or, did the Statesman simply choose not to include North Texas recruiting information?

This isn't that surprising, sadly...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, filmerj said:

The department provides all pressers via FTP media can get. If they choose to cover us, the video and info is there for them.

I noticed the El Paso TImes included us in their signing day coverage. It is up to the SiD to make the information easily available, but you can't force newspapers to include it. 

I don't think there's a way to know if the Statesman couldn't get the information or if they just didn't include it. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I noticed the El Paso TImes included us in their signing day coverage. It is up to the SiD to make the information easily available, but you can't force newspapers to include it. 

I don't think there's a way to know if the Statesman couldn't get the information or if they just didn't include it. 

"....or they just didn't include it".   If we are one of the FBS programs in the state of Texas and are still that irrelavent, that we don't even get mentioned, yet nutsak and Tx State does, I think we should just drop football altogether.  Apogee be damned.

• Upvote 1

I went to their web posting of the AAS.  I had a hard time finding anything about other school's signing.  However, ask them.  Contact the sports department of the AAS and ask if they just didn't wish to include NT or if they didn't get the information to publish.  And however they repond, that response should be sent to RV and to president Samtresk (sp). 

I did notice that UNT made the list on the TV sports last night. I think I was watching Channel 4 (don't remember, was into the Shiner). According to their graphic they put up while singing the praises of Charlie Strong, Texas was #8, SMUt was #64, and we were #114. They had several others but UT and UNT were the bookends.

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

"....or they just didn't include it".   If we are one of the FBS programs in the state of Texas and are still that irrelavent, that we don't even get mentioned, yet nutsak and Tx State does, I think we should just drop football altogether.  Apogee be damned.

the New Haven Register didn't have a single mention of it either. personally I believe you're thinking too small...we need to shutter the whole damn university, not just drop football at this point. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Deep, I know this doesn't help you any but the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram had nice coverage today.    It focused on the four kids from Tarrant County that signed with us.  

On another note.....the paper also reported that Texas Weslyan was starting football up again.   Its last football team was in 1941.   I post this only because I figure RV will have them on our schedule by 2025.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, All About UNT said:

go click this right now and show me where UTSA and Texas St are http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports

But what you WILL see are two very prominently placed articles about UNT (Alec Morris and the class & Our Sched Release)

So I guess the Austin-American Statesman is justified in leaving us out.  O.K.  And I suppose its O.K. that smut is covered in both papers?

Come to think of it, and this causes me heartburn to say it, nutsak and texas state, san marcos should have been mentioned in the Dallas paper too.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Austin views UTSA and Texas State as more or less local teams.  They probably covered signing day for the Texas Big XII schools, A&M, and the local schools.  Similar to how the DMN gives UNT coverage, but not Texas State or UTSA.

This is the correct answer. They also weren't really going to cover anybody that wasn't in the top 100 (that wasn't local). At least that's what I was told when I asked the writers at the Statesman...where I work.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

So I guess the Austin-American Statesman is justified in leaving us out.  O.K.  And I suppose its O.K. that smut is covered in both papers?

Come to think of it, and this causes me heartburn to say it, nutsak and texas state, san marcos should have been mentioned in the Dallas paper too.

Not unless they're playing us.  At least as far as the printed newspaper goes, all news is still local.

Didn't realize there was already a thread venting about lack of media coverage so I'll consolidate from a thread I started:

I may have missed if they did mention us and hate to do an entire thread of "boo hoo they didn't mention North Texas," but really... Fox sports Southwest signing day did an entire segment on Houston and SMU, followed by shorter segments on Rice, Tulsa, and nUTSAck. Not even a mention of North Texas's signing class and we are in their media market. 

Ugh.

#GMG 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Didn't realize there was already a thread venting about lack of media coverage so I'll consolidate from a thread I started:

I may have missed if they did mention us and hate to do an entire thread of "boo hoo they didn't mention North Texas," but really... Fox sports Southwest signing day did an entire segment on Houston and SMU, followed by shorter segments on Rice, Tulsa, and nUTSAck. Not even a mention of North Texas's signing class and we are in their media market. 

Ugh.

#GMG 

The absolute hardest thing UNT has to overcome--apathy among fans and media in DFW. It has been that way for decades. Maybe it was different when Fry was here, but the I-aa debacle of the 80's and early 90's still seems to be the hurdle that this program cannot overcome. Even in winning SBC titles in the early '00s, as well as after the HoD Bowl winning season, we just never have been able to really get much momentum going for fan support or media coverage beyond what we normally get. I still cannot believe that we actually saw a DECLINE in season ticket holders after that 2013 season and HoD Bowl victory. Seriously, that is almost impossible to accomplish after finally having a really good team the year before, arguably one of the best we had rolled out since the Fry days of the 70s.