WFAA: New North Texas coach salvages class with late surge

Aldo

Following the worst record in program history (1-11) and a mid-season firing of former head coach Dan McCarney, the North Texas Mean Green is beginning a rebuilding project under new head coach Seth Littrell. The former UNC offensive assistant coach is bringing in a spread offense where he promises to “let it fly,” so the Mean Green expect to have a new look in 2016.

One more tertiary note on Coach Littrell's approach: You'll notice there are no tight ends in the class. A source close to the team has said under the new spread offense, North Texas will phase out its use of tight ends. Those on the roster now will be evaluated as inside receivers and offensive linemen. 

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/new-north-texas-coach-salvages-class-with-late-surge/31347255

• Upvote 5

Just now, GMG24 said:

GULP Dillman, then what do you do with Chumley? I see some transfers in the near future. 

They would make great inside receivers for sure.

I know what some folks would like to see happen to Dillman, tho...

While we have/are signing those small-and-quick typical slot receivers, we need big bodies in there too.

I was hoping for 6'2" 215lb type of guy, but 6'5" 240lbs works for me.

• Upvote 2

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

I mean,  he's not an O-lineman...  I guess he can play in the slot, but c'mon y'all.  It's a no-brainer.

As for Chumley, I guess this means he stays working at QB too?

I wouldn't mind it, but only if Harrell and Littrell think they can do something with him, his mechanics may be the worst I've ever seen.  

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

I mean,  he's not an O-lineman...  I guess he can play in the slot, but c'mon y'all.  It's a no-brainer.

As for Chumley, I guess this means he stays working at QB too?

They could also lineup as a H-back as an extra blocker or a pass option too

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

John Walsh?  Is that you?

I think he was talking about Chumley. Is that who you meant had bad mechanics, @GMG24

But yeah, we were talking about this last week. Littrell didn't really use tight ends at North Carolina, Gronk was actually before he was an OC, and the fact that we didn't go after any juco tight ends said all we needed to know about how much he cares about getting production from the tight end position. Seriously, no reason to not move Dillman. Maybe guard for Reinhardt, and H-Back for Kelvin Smith?

Edited by BillySee58

5 minutes ago, greenit said:

Weird.  The article references the signing of Johnson, yet no announcement of the signing of Johnson.  Fingers crossed that there is good news coming.

I think they were just referencing the 24/7 list, which has had him there for a while.

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Hey, @Or, we appreciate the article, but there are some mistakes that need to be cleaned up. Michael Lawrence and Domo Omerhi are actually coming in as walkons and Keenen Johnson signed with Tulsa. Also, as of right now, William Johnson has not signed with us.

Also, " Fine will blueshirt, receiving a scholarship in the fall." 

I don't think that's correct either, I didn't think a blueshirt could sign a NLI on signing day. We've also gotten reports out of Tulsa that it is indeed an immediate scholarship... 

But yes, thank you for the coverage @Or

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think he was talking about Chumley. Is that who you meant had bad mechanics, @GMG24

But yeah, we were talking about this last week. Littrell didn't really use tight ends at North Carolina, Gronk was actually before he was an OC, and the fact that we didn't go after any juco tight ends said all we needed to know about how much he cares about getting production from the tight end position. Seriously, no reason to not move Dillman. Maybe guard for Reinhardt, and H-Back for Kelvin Smith?

Yes, Chumley, Dillman interests me on a move, or H-Back as well. Chumley might not be a bad look at DE. 

16 minutes ago, greenit said:

Weird.  The article references the signing of Johnson, yet no announcement of the signing of Johnson.  Fingers crossed that there is good news coming.

I hope we didn't piss him off. Its hard to play with a sore Johnson.

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Hey, @Or, we appreciate the article, but there are some mistakes that need to be cleaned up. Michael Lawrence and Domo Omerhi are actually coming in as walkons and Keenen Johnson signed with Tulsa. Also, as of right now, William Johnson has not signed with us.

Not a problem! We only read the headline anyway! We are all A DD, A DD, A DD !!!!

Sorry, guys. We were under the impression based on a list from late last night that Johnson would be flipping to UNT... he reconsidered. I've been running a little ragged today... I believe Johnson was cleared from the article before noon. I'll update the rest as soon as I get some time.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Wasn't the lack of tight end use one of the more popular knocks against Dodge in the beginning?

Kinda like dejavu all over again, eh? 

Just think, if Littrell fails, RV will then hire the exact opposite. Probably a run first, pro style offense guy with head coaching experience at the college level...

Quite possibly Darrell Dickey...

Oh, that's right, he knows what a fraud RV is and would rather be pissed on continually by 10,000 elephants than ever work for Rick Villarreal again...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

16 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Kinda like dejavu all over again, eh? 

Just think, if Littrell fails, RV will then hire the exact opposite. Probably a run first, pro style offense guy with head coaching experience at the college level...

Quite possibly Darrell Dickey...

Oh, that's right, he knows what a fraud RV is and would rather be pissed on continually by 10,000 elephants than ever work for Rick Villarreal again...

Now that's funny!!!  I may have to borrow that line..minus the "work for RV" part.

5 hours ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

I watched the Dale Hansen sports segment on Channel 8.

The only subject regarding National Signing Day was about $mu. Hansen did not mention any of the other schools at all.

Nothing but $mu talk. Hansen, you suck!

Well, SMU actually had something to talk about...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2