'16 OL Chandler Anthony (Oklahoma) - SIGNED LOI

BillySee58

6'7" 280 lb offensive tackle from Tuttle, Oklahoma. It appears we have flipped him from Illinois State. Also held offers at one point from Memphis, Wyoming, and NMSU, and FCS schools.

highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2610281/chandler-anthony

http://247sports.com/Player/Chandler-Anthony-76445

https://rivals.yahoo.com/scvarsity/football/recruiting/player-Chandler-Anthony-172295

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

I too am fairly on board with this one. Yes it is not a gimme, but the frame is there and on the O-line you absolutely do need some guys that eat up space.

And with having 5 to play 4 this is the player we can develop. Plus as Cerebus said, there is a decent chance he flew under the radar due to missing his junior year. Particularly at non-stats posittions like the O-line people are likely to miss you if you don't play at a big school and miss your junior season. Plus 247 says he had offers from Wyoming and memphis so it may not even have been that much under the radar (although maybe those were walk-on offers).

On February 1, 2016 at 8:25 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Can you imagine Fine wrestling the starting QB job next season and watching him protected on the right side by 6'7" Anthony & on the blind side by 6'9" Murray?   Every throw would be a jump-throw. 

Funny, I was going to start a thread predicting that people would be demanding Fine as QB by game 3.

Looks like the lunacy could start even earlier than that...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Funny, I was going to start a thread predicting that people would be demanding Fine as QB by game 3.

Looks like the lunacy could start even earlier than that...

It's a hypothetical, homie.  I've had trepidations about Fine just like you and a handful of others.
For the record, I think DaMarcus grinds it out over Morris for the 2016 season.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's a hypothetical, homie.  I've had trepidations about Fine just like you and a handful of others.
For the record, I think DaMarcus grinds it out over Morris for the 2016 season.

I that scenerio, I might call for Fine by game 3. 

We all better hope Morris has a lot more than Smith.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm more looking for coaching & system change to greatly help Smith.

Decision making and taking care of the ball favor Morris greatly. He will make the right reads quicker than Smith.

Fine needs a year or 2 in a college strength program before he ever steps foot on the field.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm more looking for coaching & system change to greatly help Smith.

And I'm looking for Smith to help Smith. 

Lots of things that will take a lot of hard work to overcome, and those things have zero to do with offensive systems. 

Again, if Morris doesn't legitimately beat him out, UNT will be in a bad way again next year.

Systems don't fix mechanics, study habits, and accuracy.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Decision making and taking care of the ball favor Morris greatly. He will make the right reads quicker than Smith.

Fine needs a year or 2 in a college strength program before he ever steps foot on the field.

The main reason I'm confused about all these juco pickups is that sure, this year we'll have Moreis, but even then it's hard to imagine going to a bowl in year 1. It usually takes even juco guys a year to get adjusted, just like last year with guys like Combs.

Then in year 2 our returning QB stable isn't looking good. Why not get more high school kids or save spots for high school kids, or even JUCOs next class? I think I'd rather have guys who will be here in 2018 and 2019 when we hopefully have a good QB situation. 

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

The main reason I'm confused about all these juco pickups is that sure, this year we'll have Moreis, but even then it's hard to imagine going to a bowl in year 1. It usually takes even juco guys a year to get adjusted, just like last year with guys like Combs.

Then in year 2 our returning QB stable isn't looking good. Why not get more high school kids or save spots for high school kids, or even JUCOs next class? I think I'd rather have guys who will be here in 2018 and 2019 when we hopefully have a good QB situation. 

I dont think we have the 2017 starting QB on this roster or committed yet. I think Littrell is banking on having a full year to recruit and showing players exactly what his offense is capable. He probably feels he can land a solid HS QB in the next class. Also he may try to play the LA Tech route again for next year by landing a graduate transfer.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

I dont think we have the 2017 starting QB on this roster or committed yet. I think Littrell is banking on having a full year to recruit and showing players exactly what his offense is capable. He probably feels he can land a solid HS QB in the next class. Also he may try to play the LA Tech route again for next year by landing a graduate transfer.

I'm thinking he's going to try to get another transfer, or land a JUCO QB.

20 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And I'm looking for Smith to help Smith. 

Lots of things that will take a lot of hard work to overcome, and those things have zero to do with offensive systems. 

Again, if Morris doesn't legitimately beat him out, UNT will be in a bad way again next year.

Systems don't fix mechanics, study habits, and accuracy.

Maybe not, but systems can hide weaknesses and shine light on strengths. A concept that Dan Mccarney and his "system" never figured out. Damarcus Smith is a much better QB than we witnessed in the 2015 season. He had bright spots for sure, but he also had ugly moments as well. I think a full year just being able to be with the same guys will allow him to take tremendous strides. I also think Smith is more suitable in the system than Morris. Now if Morris has the goods and comes in and snatches the job away from Smith then by all means let him do it. But as of now I think the job is Smith's to lose (and Morris' to earn). 

21 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

What Littrell is doing on the recruiting trail tells me that they think they can win this year with pieces they bring in meshed with pieces already in place.

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Maybe not, but systems can hide weaknesses and shine light on strengths. A concept that Dan Mccarney and his "system" never figured out. Damarcus Smith is a much better QB than we witnessed in the 2015 season. He had bright spots for sure, but he also had ugly moments as well. I think a full year just being able to be with the same guys will allow him to take tremendous strides. I also think Smith is more suitable in the system than Morris. Now if Morris has the goods and comes in and snatches the job away from Smith then by all means let him do it. But as of now I think the job is Smith's to lose (and Morris' to earn). 

If Smith is our opening day QB, don't expect a lot of improvement record-wise over last year.

Just sayin...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

If Smith is our opening day QB, don't expect a lot of improvement record-wise over last year.

Just sayin...

Guess we'll have to wait and see.
If he wins the starting job.  I bet you his accuracy goes WAY, WAY up.  
He'll be coached on how to throw on the run, or set his dang feet.  Plus, the repetition of the same Air Raid routes during practice over & over will get him in sync with his receivers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

I that scenerio, I might call for Fine by game 3. 

We all better hope Morris has a lot more than Smith.

Littrell will Tailor our game plan to fit his strengths IF he does beat Morriss! 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Yeah, but if he thinks he can get a good high school QB next year, shouldn't he be using the scholarships on guys who will still be here after his first semester on campus? 

I agree, another grad transfer could be in the works. Hopefully they don't get rid of that rule like they've talked about.

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Littrell will Tailor our game plan to fit his strengths IF he does beat Morriss! 

What strengths? That is just insane talk. Did we watch the same QB last year? He guns every pass whether the target is 5 or 50 yards away and doesn't have good accuracy whether mobile or in the pocket.

Unless you are talking about going to a wildcat offense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

What strengths? That is just insane talk. Did we watch the same QB last year? He guns every pass whether the target is 5 or 50 yards away and doesn't have good accuracy whether mobile or in the pocket.

Unless you are talking about going to a wildcat offense. 

I am talking about running some power read stuff having the WRs run Fade's and the slots can run any combinations of routes to hold the LB's or safeties.  He has strengths.  Does he have a ton of work to do? Sure, but he has things he can work on for sure.