Littrell's recruiting strategy going forward

GMG24

16 minutes ago, outoftown said:

That is my problem with the current class: All the JuCo recruits tell me that he is not building a foundation, but for the short term.

Depends. If we only sign 15 to 20 total guys with 10 or so being JuCo plus English and Morris we should be good as long as next year is high school heavy with the extra 5 to 10 scholarships. It's not like we are just throwing away spots...

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I don't understand the disappointment with going JUCO heavy. Juco help win quicker. And nothing helps recruiting better than winning (See houston). 

No problem with the Spring semester eligible JUCOs. I ALWAYS worry that fall eligible JUCOs won't make it to campus due to eligibility issues.

A couple of these JUCOs we will never see on campus again. That's just the nature of this type of recruit. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

UNT90 --you are right about maybe not seeing some of these JUCO players--however most of them are  going to help us were we needed help the most--If we start winning we will get good recruits because these guys are young energetic and can coach--They are climbing the coaching ranks and are going to put there time in---ie recruiting and coaching during the week, at night, in the summer etc...

If you have ever been around a down program and then watch someone turn it around this is how you do it ----we have talent --it needs to be coached and put in the right position to win . I am so sure these guys are the right coaches for this job. 

As mentioned before ---did anybody know who Jimmy Johnson was before he took the OSU job----he came with his set of coaches and they coached there butt off and turned that program around in 1 year while going on probation --they went 7-4. This can be done at this school as well with the right coaches---- You can't tell me Portland State had better players than we did or more athletic players than we did ---come on wake up and realize what really happened last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

JJ was 0-0 when he started --not saying he is a JJ--- but I see the same traits in Seth that I saw in JJ--

Read my post -- I did not compare the coaches -- I said there situation was similar and coach Littrell reminds me of a young JJ --if he is half the coach JJ was we will be Ok--

Im going to win you over by next season and you are going to buy me a beer!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNT Fan 92 said:

JJ was 0-0 when he started --not saying he is a JJ--- but I see the same traits in Seth that I saw in JJ--

Read my post -- I did not compare the coaches -- I said there situation was similar and coach Littrell reminds me of a young JJ --if he is half the coach JJ was we will be Ok--

Im going to win you over by next season and you are going to buy me a beer!!!

If anyone wins me over, it will be Littrell and staff. But I'll buy you a beer even if we go 0-11.

Assuming I'm at the game...

• Downvote 4

On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 6:19 AM, baberuthbomber8 said:

Yes 3 wins an improvement, but you have take steps. Football is not like college basketball. Next year our basketball team will good because of Frazier then trash most likely the following year after he leaves because we don't have a good foundation. Littrell is building that now. 

3 wins this year is not great, but it's an improvement. He can then sale to people how the scheme worked and how the kids he brought in this year worked.. The season was a wash after the Portland game, that destroyed the season and the team just didn't seem right this year. I don't know if Mac was phoning it in or he felt like he could right the ship but Portland destroyed the year and we are lucky we won 1 game and nearly a 2nd vs Utep.

Defense yes will be on their 3rd D-coord, but once again they will work with them to combine what is good with our new scheme. Defense is about playing fast and trusting the others around you to be on the same page. Our D-cord has turned out talent to the NFL and is a huge engery guy, which is great.. Say in we move from bottom of the barrel to even say middle of the pack on offense and defense this season is a win. Because talent can wins yes, but coaching will always beat talent any day of the week. 

Money other reason coaching beats talent, Urban Meyer coached up Alex Smith to be a #1 pick and turn Utah into a powerhouse for multiple years beating USC UCLA Etc, because of coaching... Not because they had top line talent like USc did when they had Mike Williams, Bush, Lienart, Carson Palmer Etc.

That's like saying it doesn't matter if your rich or poor, but how well you manage the money. It matters.