Littrell's recruiting strategy going forward

GMG24

5 minutes ago, Green Dozer said:

I don't know, in this area of Texas you should be able to put together the core of your team within a 200 mile radius.  Then try to recruit a few superstars here and there.  We could compete successfully, within our conference, that way.

Agreed. I have zero doubt that you can put together a good FBS team with talent within 200 miles of DFW.  However, the biggest question is how many of those kids within 200 miles want to come to Denton? Not a whole helluva lot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Agreed. I have zero doubt that you can put together a good FBS team with talent within 200 miles of DFW.  However, the biggest question is how many of those kids within 200 miles want to come to Denton? Not a whole helluva lot.

Good point.  The first thing I thought when I saw the Florida QB pic with his car was that I just don't see him fitting in in Denton, Texas.

10 minutes ago, Green Dozer said:

Good point.  The first thing I thought when I saw the Florida QB pic with his car was that I just don't see him fitting in in Denton, Texas.

LOL. I don't know, I've seen plenty of these  "Ya feel me Bruh" , new age Guido types running around here. I meant UNT specifically due to its pathetic football record.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

You are the one demanding blind faith. Me? I'm just pointing out harsh realities. 

Just a gut feeling.   But, I think Littrell and his staff are going to surprise us over the next couple of days.      I don't expect greatness.  But, it would be nice to get out of the CUSA recruiting cellar in the next few days.

Really shocked at some of these comments. Explain every G5 cinderella story season (where they actually played and knocked off some good P5 teams). How did Boise rise? No one here saying Saban would've made Mini Mac into a Heisman contender - but in G5 coaching makes a huge difference in a player's development. But would Saban have won more than 1 game last year with our team? God yes. It sounds like some of you think the biggest difference in the coach is who they're able to recruit.

Edited by MDH
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, MDH said:

Really shocked at some of these comments. Explain every G5 cinderella story season (where they actually played and knocked off some good P5 teams). How did Boise rise? No one here saying Saban would've made Mini Mac into a Heisman contender - but in G5 coaching makes a huge difference in a player's development. But would Saban have won more than 1 game last year with our team? God yes.

Ok, I'll just have to say that even if any other FBS coach would have had McNulty playing quarterback, I don't think they would have advanced their own career by doing so.  It was just misguided not to have him move to another position, maybe safety.

I think you guys are going to be surprised --did we have the best QBs --no-- but I think this staff would have made our QBs much better --we are ragging on the kids but I think it was coaching--just my opinion --we will see !  

I bet UNT90 is singing a different tune next fall ! At least I hope he is !!!!

• Upvote 1

What a meandering thread this has become!

As to the Augie DeBiase and related comments, I've known quite a few guys with that sort of background and mentality that went to North Texas.  Funny thing is, they weren't put off by the atmosphere - they were impressed by it.  Sometimes a mentality comes with the addendum that too many people of your own demographic might not be a good fit, and a wise man would heed that wake-up call.  They liked that they didn't have to compete in the "attitude field" as much as they would elsewhere, and instead, ended up feeling comfortable enough to be themselves a lot more than if they'd continued to be surrounded by posturing idiots.  Obviously, they made the right choice as to where they should enroll.

And to the players vs. coaches conundrum...really?  We can play fantasy team vs. fantasy coach as much as we like, but these facts remain:

1) A good coach can bring greatness out of players who seemed less than impressive.

2) A poor coach can make talented players appear less so.

3) Talented players can make a bad coach appear more savvy than he is.

4) Terrible players can make a great coach appear average.

You can combine any of those, with a weighted average towards either the coach or the players depending upon the extremity of the circumstances, and come up with the 80-95% of teams that are in the bell curve every year.  I'm not going to write a 25-page post, but those of you who have worked in a research-based field of any kind would likely find a similar bent to your "eyeball test" analysis.  And for good reason...as everyone's arguments have shown, there must be a combination of great talent and coaching to breach the top 25, whereas both awful ability and sad coaching will make you a sad panda in the Bottom 10.  Various combinations thereof will mix you up with everyone else.  Is anyone still lost here?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNT Fan 92 said:

I think you guys are going to be surprised --did we have the best QBs --no-- but I think this staff would have made our QBs much better --we are ragging on the kids but I think it was coaching--just my opinion --we will see !  

I bet UNT90 is singing a different tune next fall ! At least I hope he is !!!!

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. If Littrell wins 3 games next year, he will have accomplished something.

Defensively, we will be under-talented and those kids will be playing in their 3rd defensive system in 3 years. We are looking at a tough year on this side of the ball, no matter how you look at it.

• Downvote 5

I don't get how you guys don't. See good coaching and development of players leads better recruits.  TCU and Baylor, used to be the whooping boys, now they go out and  get 5 * talent.. The reason because Patterson and Brile developed and got kids to fit the scheme. TCU regularly gets 3* RBs and turns them into LBs CBs Etc. 

Littrell and his staff had 5 weeks to go out and find kids for this class and this class in my view has talent for the freshman and the JUCOs/transfers are the ones that standout because they will /should be starters which if they produce in this scheme we Will get better players, but it's up to the coaches to put kids in the right spot

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. If Littrell wins 3 games next year, he will have accomplished something.

Defensively, we will be under-talented and those kids will be playing in their 3rd defensive system in 3 years. We are looking at a tough year on this side of the ball, no matter how you look at it.

Yes 3 wins an improvement, but you have take steps. Football is not like college basketball. Next year our basketball team will good because of Frazier then trash most likely the following year after he leaves because we don't have a good foundation. Littrell is building that now. 

3 wins this year is not great, but it's an improvement. He can then sale to people how the scheme worked and how the kids he brought in this year worked.. The season was a wash after the Portland game, that destroyed the season and the team just didn't seem right this year. I don't know if Mac was phoning it in or he felt like he could right the ship but Portland destroyed the year and we are lucky we won 1 game and nearly a 2nd vs Utep.

Defense yes will be on their 3rd D-coord, but once again they will work with them to combine what is good with our new scheme. Defense is about playing fast and trusting the others around you to be on the same page. Our D-cord has turned out talent to the NFL and is a huge engery guy, which is great.. Say in we move from bottom of the barrel to even say middle of the pack on offense and defense this season is a win. Because talent can wins yes, but coaching will always beat talent any day of the week. 

Money other reason coaching beats talent, Urban Meyer coached up Alex Smith to be a #1 pick and turn Utah into a powerhouse for multiple years beating USC UCLA Etc, because of coaching... Not because they had top line talent like USc did when they had Mike Williams, Bush, Lienart, Carson Palmer Etc.

4 minutes ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

Yes 3 wins an improvement, but you have take steps. Football is not like college basketball. Next year our basketball team will good because of Frazier then trash most likely the following year after he leaves because we don't have a good foundation. Littrell is building that now. 

3 wins this year is not great, but it's an improvement. He can then sale to people how the scheme worked and how the kids he brought in this year worked.. The season was a wash after the Portland game, that destroyed the season and the team just didn't seem right this year. I don't know if Mac was phoning it in or he felt like he could right the ship but Portland destroyed the year and we are lucky we won 1 game and nearly a 2nd vs Utep.

Defense yes will be on their 3rd D-coord, but once again they will work with them to combine what is good with our new scheme. Defense is about playing fast and trusting the others around you to be on the same page. Our D-cord has turned out talent to the NFL and is a huge engery guy, which is great.. Say in we move from bottom of the barrel to even say middle of the pack on offense and defense this season is a win. Because talent can wins yes, but coaching will always beat talent any day of the week. 

Money other reason coaching beats talent, Urban Meyer coached up Alex Smith to be a #1 pick and turn Utah into a powerhouse for multiple years beating USC UCLA Etc, because of coaching... Not because they had top line talent like USc did when they had Mike Williams, Bush, Lienart, Carson Palmer Etc.

Coaching or talent. It isn't one or the other. You have to have both. You also need to be able to develop and maximize talent. Alex Simth was the #1 pick in the 2005 NFL draft and a pro bowl player. Bad example of coaching no talent players past superior athletes.

Yes, 3 wins is an improvement, but you will see posters predicting 6 wins after swigging gallons of green kool aid. Some will go even higher than that. It's just insanity. I see 3 winnable games on next year's schedule. UNT probably snags 1 or 2 of those. 

We will be bad defensively, and going to a 4-2-5 defense without the athletes that were present at Georgia and North Carolina will lead to a porous run defense. Yes, even worse than last year. 

You say these coaches are so much better than Mac's staff with zero proof this is true. We have 3 unproven coaches at HC, OC, and DC. Guys who have never coached at those levels and have always had access to P5 talent at the level they did coach. We all HOPE they are better and will lead UNT somewhere it hasn't been since Dickey roamed the sidelines (back to back winning seasons), but there is no proof that they will be any better than Mac and Co, or Dodge and Co. for that matter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

We will be bad defensively, and going to a 4-2-5 defense without the athletes that were present at Georgia and North Carolina will lead to a porous run defense. Yes, even worse than last year. 

You say these coaches are so much better than Mac's staff with zero proof this is true. 

Not having access to P5 athletes is not relevant.  They coached P5 talent, but they also had to game plan and coach AGAINST P5 talent.  We are just asking them to beat teams with similar talent that they should beat next year.  

I know many stopped paying attention once we started losing, but the sad part was our defense was probably still a better unit than our offense.  Our defense had a few moments where they showed up and played good enough to win.  We had the most success when we were in the nickel.  

And if we can get Bain in the middle, that could definetly solidify the DLine. Bain got on the field as a redshirt freshman for LSU.  it's a very good chance he can play in CUSA.  And before we bring up Wallace and other transfers, Bain was going to play for LSU and he has been on a football field recently.

3 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Not having access to P5 athletes is not relevant.  They coached P5 talent, but they also had to game plan and coach AGAINST P5 talent.  We are just asking them to beat teams with similar talent that they should beat next year.  

I know many stopped paying attention once we started losing, but the sad part was our defense was probably still a better unit than our offense.  Our defense had a few moments where they showed up and played good enough to win.  We had the most success when we were in the nickel.  

And if we can get Bain in the middle, that could definetly solidify the DLine. Bain got on the field as a redshirt freshman for LSU.  it's a very good chance he can play in CUSA.  And before we bring up Wallace and other transfers, Bain was going to play for LSU and he has been on a football field recently.

First, Bain has not committed to UNT, 

Secondly saying UNT's defense was better than their offense isn't saying much at all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

First, Bain has not committed to UNT, 

Secondly saying UNT's defense was better than their offense isn't saying much at all. 

Agreed.  But we many assume a coaching a philosophy change can make the offense improve. 

Well. The defense was also a victim of an outdated poor scheme too.  The defense was more predictable than the offense.  Corners were going to play 10 yards off, we hardly ever blitz.  We will have slow LBs covering WRs.  

Our defense will also have an upgrade to a more modern dynamic defense.  I am hearing we will run 3-3-5, 4-2-5., 4-3...depends on who we play.  There's going to be some coaching and actual strategy out there.  

2 hours ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

Yes 3 wins an improvement, but you have take steps. Football is not like college basketball. Next year our basketball team will good because of Frazier then trash most likely the following year after he leaves because we don't have a good foundation. Littrell is building that now

That is my problem with the current class: All the JuCo recruits tell me that he is not building a foundation, but for the short term.