DRC: UNT leaning on starters heavily while bench struggles

Brett Vito

9 hours ago, Keith7 said:

35-36 minutes is OK for the starters but once you get to 39 minutes in a 40 minute game, you're really pushing them...

-- Tony Benford

White, Thompson, and Odufua use to play 38 minutes a lot. Honestly if Combs is able to give it everything and play 40 minutes then he might need to stay out there.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

White, Thompson, and Odufua us to play 38 minutes a lot. Honestly if Combs is able to give it everything and play 40 minutes then he might need to stay out there.

I have no idea who "Odufua" is/was. 

BUT!

Who wants to play a fun trivia game I call: How Many Times Did George Odufuwa Play 38 Minutes (or more) In A Game?

Three hints that may help out...

1) Odufuwa was at UNT for a total of 98 games.
2) During that time, UNT had five single OT games, one double OT game, and a triple OT game.
3) It only happened a total of five times in his UNT career

The third one is kind of a giveaway... But, can anyone guess the right answer? 

7 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

BUT!

Who wants to play a fun trivia game I call: How Many Times Did George Odufuwa Play 38 Minutes (or more) In A Game?

2) During that time, UNT had five single OT games, one double OT game, and a triple OT game.

My point was that JJ relied on his starters to play heavy minutes. Throw Shorter and Tramiel in there as well. He didn't have a deep bench, but he did have a productive bench. Keep ignoring the point to be a cynical jerk. ? Without google and memes I'm not sure what you would do.

The simple response would be: Yea JJ relied heavily on his starters and didn't utalize a deep bench during some of his big runs. Not always, but true sometimes. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

My point was that JJ relied on his starters to play heavy minutes. Throw Shorter and Tramiel in there as well. He didn't have a deep bench, but he did have a productive bench. Keep ignoring the point to be a cynical jerk. ? Without google and memes I'm not sure what you would do.

The simple response would be: Yea JJ relied heavily on his starters and didn't utalize a deep bench during some of his big runs. Not always, but true sometimes. 

If you keep posting erroneous assumptions, you're going to get cynical answers.   I don't know anyone who appreciations misinformation.  Maybe you do.  What I do see is a poster that gets called out (a lot) on misinformation, and then tries to steer things away with "what I meant was" or, "My point was"

With winning basketball, TTG was blogging and doing a regular podcast dedicated to UNT.  It was really good and enjoyable.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Bench depth makes a difference when you have only a day's rest between games and especially during a tournament (CUSA, NCAA, or other).

I think the year long rest we'll undoubtably get between tournament games will be quite sufficient for our tired starters.  

• Upvote 7

On January 29, 2016 at 0:38 AM, TheTastyGreek said:

BUT!

Every board  needs a Donald Trump.  I guess that makes you Megan Kelly.

• Upvote 2

A lot of teams with short benches are very successful.  The best teams I have ever seen at NT: Spika coached Hamilton, Winfield, Whittier, and Blakeley coached Mitchell, Johnson, Davis, Williams were neither deep.  They did have a strong first five and a couple of capable backups, but they were much faster paced teams than NT's current team.  In fact the Spika teams were also usually a full court press team.  Also the number of time outs now is much greater. 

The truth is that a tired starter is usually better than a fresh bench player, and that is especially true with the NT team.  Having said that though, there is a value to playing the freshmen for evaluation and development.  

• Upvote 1