MGB: UNT picks up DB commit - Khairi Muhammad (DeSoto) - SIGNED LOI

Brett Vito

47 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Littrell and staff have just about shown zero at this point with high school recruits, but it way too early to evaluate anything.  Sure, they get a pass this year; but we are all going to be concerned unless this class gets much better.  If Littrell and staff can't bump up recruiting a little even in this short time, it is definitely a bad sign.  Having stated that, I would rather NT has a very small class than make McCarney type reaches.

This is a McCarney-type reach.  But, not just McCarney...all of his predecessors here as well made those types of reaches.  We have to because we don't win enough.  In the 18 years that these kids have been alive, we won three season when they were in preschool and once three seasons ago. 

Meanwhile, in those same 18 years, enough programs around the state have picked up the pace to put us further down the row of choices - namely, TCU, Baylor, and Houston. 

The thing is, if Littrell farts away his first season the way SMU Jesus did, he's still stuck with the same problem...still recruiting guys at the same level as his "we'll give him a pass" year. just like SMU Jesus is doing again.

Everyone is stuck on "give him a pass" mode.  I'm not in that mode.  It will keep us wrecked in the ditch.  We're not at a moment in time when we can be blowing off seasons.  Too many other regional schools, G5 and higher, are winning around us.

We need a quarterback who can complete passes five yards down the field...crazy, I know.  And, we need a defense that can stop the run.  It isn't all going to come recruiting WR/DBs listed at 5-9.   He's got to win with who he has on the roster now, plus the QB transfer.  Otherwise, we're spinning our wheels again. 

You all give him a pass, I expect six wins out of him and the team in the first season.  "Hey this year we won three, but the year before we only won one...look at that new stadium!" isn't going to work on the recruiting trail.  Littrell knew this was a tough gig.  I expect him, like a true fullback, to man up and hit the hole as hard he can year one, and lead us to a bowl so he has something significant to show recruits.

11 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

JOE KLATT..........JOE KLATT..............JOE KLATT...................JOE KLATT

Anyone?

https://twitter.com/joelklatt?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenit said:

False.

The spread/air raid/run and shoot was invented for the exact opposite reason.

20 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

No, it is to take advantage of athletic mismatches...or, so preaches Joel Klatt when people ask him why those offenses don't work in the NFL. 

Since both have track records of success with league and national titles to their credit, this really just depends on the kinds of players a program can reasonably expect to find and develop. The reason that the spread has really taken hold at smaller schools is that it's easier to find smaller athletes who can do damage at space than bigger bodies who can physically dominate opponents in the trenches.

Similarly, much of the hesitation from bigger schools about going spread is in the fact that if you can physically dominate your opponent, why would you choose any other path? There's simply no answer for a team that can knock you down and in an inherently violent game this approach makes a great deal of sense.

Spread vs. Pro-style

Teams like TX Tech went to the spread when they finally realized they were not going to recruit the same type of player that UT and A$M were.  It was a system that allowed them to be successful against the bigger boys.

I like Muhammad's DB film.  Let's give the young man a chance as well as this coaching staff.

• Upvote 5

19 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Teams like TX Tech went to the spread when they finally realized they were not going to recruit the same type of player that UT and A$M were.  It was a system that allowed them to be successful against the bigger boys.

I like Muhammad's DB film.  Let's give the young man a chance as well as this coaching staff.

I don't think Tech "finally" realized they were not in the same league as UT and A&M.  That's simply been their reality from day one of their program.  Same with all other Texas schools, us included. 

One of the chief complaints with Mac was his lack of recruiting prowess.  All I'm saying is that Littrell is getting the same type of athlete Mac did...and Dodge did...and Dickey did.  The difference will be in whether or not he can coach this level of athlete better than those. 

It's a tall order.  Littrell needs to be aware that no matter what his offenses did, the majority of those seasons where he was OC, the teams had losing seasons because of the shortcomings on defense.

Get a QB that can complete a five yard pass...yes, please.  But, moreover, get bigger and faster on defense - or, switch the defense to something like BYU, Utah, TCU have run because they can't get the same size and speed.

Dodge has already proven that tons of points won't win a bunch of games here.  2002-2004 and 2013 proved that a salty defense can carry your offense a long way...especially with where we are on the food chain of recruiting.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

I don't think Tech "finally" realized they were not in the same league as UT and A&M.  That's simply been their reality from day one of their program.  Same with all other Texas schools, us included. 

One of the chief complaints with Mac was his lack of recruiting prowess.  All I'm saying is that Littrell is getting the same type of athlete Mac did...and Dodge did...and Dickey did.  The difference will be in whether or not he can coach this level of athlete better than those. 

It's a tall order.  Littrell needs to be aware that no matter what his offenses did, the majority of those seasons where he was OC, the teams had losing seasons because of the shortcomings on defense.

Get a QB that can complete a five yard pass...yes, please.  But, moreover, get bigger and faster on defense - or, switch the defense to something like BYU, Utah, TCU have run because they can't get the same size and speed.

Dodge has already proven that tons of points won't win a bunch of games here.  2002-2004 and 2013 proved that a salty defense can carry your offense a long way...especially with where we are on the food chain of recruiting.

That's not what I get from their alumni, their oil-rich ones especially.  According to them, they are absolutely on the same level.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That's not what I get from their alumni, their oil-rich ones especially.  According to them, they are absolutely on the same level.

That a whole different discussion, right there...Texas Tech grads and what they say about themselves and Tech.  They are as bad as Aggie when it comes to that.  That is why they are called, Sand Aggie.

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This.  Tech always ran a traditional type offense until Leach arrived, and up until that day they rarely had much success in the SWC.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...