Mason Fine QB Locust Grove OK - SIGNED LOI

TravisUNT

The other visit by Coach Harrell today:

Mason Fine QB 5'10" 161lb 4.5 40  2 time Gatorade Player of the Year OK

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1667735/mason-fine

PA 384 Comp 251 Yrds 4227 TDs 53 INTs 7 RYs 631 RTDs 10

The knock is he is too short and and throws it up for grabs. 

3 D2 Offers and Austin Peay (D1 FCS)

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I don't think he's too short, he's a quick decision-maker, and his deep bombs are mostly on target. But good golly does he not have passes for less than 40 yards in his highlight reel?

Nope. Thats why he doesn't have any D1 offers as the 2 time gatoraid player of the year. A lot of coaches have said they thought he was to short and just throws it up to Jason Pirtle, his WR who he's played with for 4 years, to go get it. The question is has he reached his ceiling? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

You mean we're allowed to have a QB under 6'4"? That's impossible. The only QB under 6'4" that was worth a damn was obviously Andrew McNulty. Hey there's a kid that's 6'5 250 that has God awful mechanics and horrendously bad completion rating with zero offers from any sort of school, let's sign him instead!

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

You mean we're allowed to have a QB under 6'4"? That's impossible. The only QB under 6'4" that was worth a damn was obviously Andrew McNulty. Hey there's a kid that's 6'5 250 that has God awful mechanics and horrendously bad completion rating with zero offers from any sort of school, let's sign him instead!

Seriously he is 5'10" with boots on...

Mason Fine second from left..... Nyc Burns tall guy in middle9459739_G.jpg

Let me introduce you to some guys that are under 6 foot:

Doug Flutie, Russell Wilson, Johnny Manziel (listed at 6' but I doubt it) These are NFL guys

College: Justin Thomas Georgia Tech, Keenan Reynolds Navy, Vernon Adams, Oregon.

Also, its rare but some of these kids arent done growing yet. I was 5'10 my senior year and hit 6'1 after my freshman year in college

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Have to be a low ceiling....heh

I won't discount him at 5'10" since he's able to make it work. His delivery is good, just would want to see more short game (no pun intended).

Check out his single game highlights. He shows a good amount of touch and timing on shorter routes as well. 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

The other visit by Coach Harrell today:

Mason Fine QB 5'10" 161lb 4.5 40  2 time Gatorade Player of the Year OK

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1667735/mason-fine

PA 384 Comp 251 Yrds 4227 TDs 53 INTs 7 RYs 631 RTDs 10

The knock is he is too short and and throws it up for grabs. 

3 D2 Offers and Austin Peay (D1 FCS)

So Coach Harrell is making his Oklahoma rounds today... maybe tomorrow as well.
I hope he comes home soon and pulls Starkel out of class in the same way.  

Then he should work the areas where he's iconic: the 287 corridor between Waxahachie & Corsicana...  Then, Woolforth & all the way up 27.

• Upvote 3

I don't give a damn how tall he is. Kid can sling it and has good vision when scrambling

You don't but there is a reason he doesn't have that many offers even with his freakish numbers... He owns every Oklahoma Highschool Passing record. Between him and Burns who would you offer if you could? Curious.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TravisUNT said:

You don't but there is a reason he doesn't have that many offers even with his freakish numbers... He owns every Oklahoma Highschool Passing record. Between him and Burns who would you offer if you could? Curious.

It's hard to tell. Burns seems at least a little interested but still very much committed to OSU as a PWO. Fine would be taking a chance but could pay huge dividends. Him and the Hardin kid from Irving MacArthur remind me a lot of each other. Would I personally prefer a taller QB? Sure, but then again so did Mac and we see how well that worked out. I would prefer the kid who can execute the offense the best, regardless of height. 

• Upvote 3

It's hard to tell. Burns seems at least a little interested but still very much committed to OSU as a PWO. Fine would be taking a chance but could pay huge dividends. Him and the Hardin kid from Irving MacArthur remind me a lot of each other. Would I personally prefer a taller QB? Sure, but then again so did Mac and we see how well that worked out. I would prefer the kid who can execute the offense the best, regardless of height. 

I think they both have upside for different reasons. I think I'd offer Nyc first becuase Mason has no other interest really. You take Mason as a last resort. Personal opinion only.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

Thanks great info. In Ek's exit interview from Ga he said the key to recruiting is really about evaluating talent. With small school guys and the level of competition it seems it would really be tough. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will trust Littrell and Harrell, but this young man played 3A ball in OK.  I think I would take a shot at Shafer from Canadian, bigger frame and probably faced better competition.  Either way, it will be interesting to see who we sign and how they develop in the next year or two.

Really curious about Brewer from Corpus.  He has to know Harrell since he was a WSU commit.  Great film on him.  I would like to see Brewer and Shafer in our class.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1