HS QB's

UNTLifer

http://247sports.com/Player/Shelton-Eppler-32692

http://sports.yahoo.com/rbi/football/recruiting/player-Shelton-Eppler-180922

I bet Shelton Eppler ends up here, probably as a gray shirt or preferred walk on.  He put up HUGE numbers playing for Head Coach Lee Fedora (brother of UNC HC).

In his junior year he set the national hs record for tds.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

This is how I feel about the perception some coaches in the area have with us as well. Like, "well, you can't play anywhere else, how about North Texas?" 

I've just noticed some of the solicitations we've gotten from HS coaches on twitter is for guys with no other D1 offers. 

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The discussion on Bowman Sells got me thinking about what HS QB's we should target in this first recruiting class.  I ran across Terry Wilson, Del City, OK and Tristen Wallace, Desoto, TX, who are both committed to Oregon along with another 3 star from Eugene, OR.  I wonder if either one would be a target for flipping?  Let's use this thread to post HS QB's you would like to see us go after in this first recruiting class along with Starkel and DeBiase.  I noticed Starkel and DeBiase are both considered pro-style.  Does Littrell/Harrell prefer these over dual threats with their offense?  Here's one I found interesting out of Tulsa.  Gilkey is a 3 star with only offers from ULM and Eastern Illinois.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1419132/highlights/283821388/v2

I expect our quality of Qb signing to increase dramatically! No more reaching! Three stars with an offer list that Billy LIKES!

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The discussion on Bowman Sells got me thinking about what HS QB's we should target in this first recruiting class.  I ran across Terry Wilson, Del City, OK and Tristen Wallace, Desoto, TX, who are both committed to Oregon along with another 3 star from Eugene, OR.  I wonder if either one would be a target for flipping?  Let's use this thread to post HS QB's you would like to see us go after in this first recruiting class along with Starkel and DeBiase.  I noticed Starkel and DeBiase are both considered pro-style.  Does Littrell/Harrell prefer these over dual threats with their offense?  Here's one I found interesting out of Tulsa.  Gilkey is a 3 star with only offers from ULM and Eastern Illinois.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1419132/highlights/283821388/v2

Really tired of these films where the Qb has all day to throw so they are all deep passes. Show an out, a slant with press coverage and a touch pass over the middle to the tight  end! Graham will figure this out! GMG or Untouchable 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Ah, always ready to chime in at my expense.

What does Littrell think of this QB? Because we all know you think he is the best college football coach in history before ever coaching a game...

This the best you got, Awesome Sauce?

What QB are you referring to?  I never stated that I think Littrell is the best college football coach in history just that I liked the hire.  Of course, you wouldn't be happy with anyone but Fritz or The Ghost of Emory Bellard to run their antiquated offense.  It's okay Awesome Sauce, I expect you to come around to Littrell once the games start.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

This the best you got, Awesome Sauce?

What QB are you referring to?  I never stated that I think Littrell is the best college football coach in history just that I liked the hire.  Of course, you wouldn't be happy with anyone but Fritz or The Ghost of Emory Bellard to run their antiquated offense.  It's okay Awesome Sauce, I expect you to come around to Littrell once the games start.

And I expect you to still be rah rah if Littrell is 1-11 in year 3.

I'm glad I could teach you a new word. If only I could teach you to expect something from the UNT AD.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

And I expect you to still be rah rah if Littrell is 1-11 in year 3.

I'm glad I could teach you a new word. If only I could teach you to expect something from the UNT AD.

I haven't been rah-rah for any coaches that would sit at 1-11 in their 3rd year.  You have no idea what my thoughts are regarding the AD, but as I have stated before, I believe it is time for him to move along.  I just don't choose to fly banners, yell from the roof tops or badger people on a message board.  Carry on Awesome Sauce.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I haven't been rah-rah for any coaches that would sit at 1-11 in their 3rd year.  You have no idea what my thoughts are regarding the AD, but as I have stated before, I believe it is time for him to move along.  I just don't choose to fly banners, yell from the roof tops or badger people on a message board.  Carry on Awesome Sauce.

Yet you comment on just about every post of mine (and that takes some doing). Lol. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

On Thursday, January 07, 2016 at 10:07 AM, TheReal_jayD said:

Tanner shafer. I keep thinking someone will offer him. Everyone seems they are scared of small schools guy

I watched a replay of their state championship game and would feel comfortable offering this young man.  Quick release, 6'4" and room to fill out.  I just think Harrell could really develop this young man.

On January 7, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Wag Tag said:

One of the of the requirements is can he throw a frig'n out route!!!!!!

Not to mention Gilkey went to 4 high schools in 4 years. There is a reason no one touched that kid. Gilkey isn't even listed in the Oklahoma top 50 by rivals for that reason. You are going after the #3 QB in OK according to rivals Nyc Burns and you could try and flip the #4 Chandler Garret he is a Wyoming commit. https://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3598

Edited by TravisUNT

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Oh, I understand that OU is moving on to him, but if he is worthy of a PWO at OU then he certainly deserved some sort of look from us.

Isn't that what we did with Fine?  He is basically a TX version of Fine.  Small school QB that broke all kinds of records and put up crazy numbers.  Do we really need to offer both a scholarship?  Maybe. 

I think we were in on Fine prior to O, but yes, these are essentially one in the same, but I love Shafer's size.  Let's face it, we are going to have a tough time recruiting the same QB's that OU is offering scholarships to, so we look at players that are considered a rung below.  There is a risk where they could flop at the college game, but there is the chance that they could excel.  No different than the 4 or 5 star player that doesn't live up to his billing.

Taking our QB situation in to consideration, I think we should be looking everywhere.  Morris and Smith are seniors, Means is unproven, the other returning players are all walk-ons and Fine is a freshman.  Let's turn over every rock, boulder and pebble and build some good depth here.

On 1/8/2016 at 11:04 PM, Wag Tag said:

Really tired of these films where the Qb has all day to throw so they are all deep passes. Show an out, a slant with press coverage and a touch pass over the middle to the tight  end! Graham will figure this out! GMG or Untouchable 

They are highlight clips, not really films. Your judging guys biased upon the best plays they made not entire games. 

48 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

They are highlight clips, not really films. Your judging guys biased upon the best plays they made not entire games. 

Exactly.  Which is why I don't know why anyone puts any stock at all in them.  DaMarcus Smith had a sweet HUDL, right?  But, once you stick him in a game, he's throwing the ball into the ground on passes five yards past the line of scrimmage and fumbling a ton. 

Coaches see more game film than HUDL.  Again, that why some of these kids that people think should have scholarship offers do not have scholarship offers.

If football was a game based solely on stats, Hal Mumme and Mike Leach would have dozens of championships between them.  It's not that way.  So, both sit without titles to the names.  Stats mean little...almost as little as recruiting highlight films. 

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 1

Tanner Schafer was 292 of 377 for a 75% completion percentage, threw for 4,053 yards with 49 TD's and 2 Int's his senior year alone.

Fine was 251 of 384 for a 65% completion percentage, threw for 4,227 yards with 53 TD's and 7 Int's his senior year.

Those stats tell me these young men were not throwing  the ball in the ground 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Oh i forgot, i need to be negative to meet you standard of comment.  We are only capable of having Greer and McNulty type qb at UNT.  Better?

Nope, but you are acting the same way many acted before Dodge came here. 

Actually, it was more appropriate to act that way before Dodge. Littrell's offense is balanced between run and pass. 

But, hey, rah rah sis boom bah. Who I'm I to let intelligence get in your way of a good time?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3