HS QB's

UNTLifer

The discussion on Bowman Sells got me thinking about what HS QB's we should target in this first recruiting class.  I ran across Terry Wilson, Del City, OK and Tristen Wallace, Desoto, TX, who are both committed to Oregon along with another 3 star from Eugene, OR.  I wonder if either one would be a target for flipping?  Let's use this thread to post HS QB's you would like to see us go after in this first recruiting class along with Starkel and DeBiase.  I noticed Starkel and DeBiase are both considered pro-style.  Does Littrell/Harrell prefer these over dual threats with their offense?  Here's one I found interesting out of Tulsa.  Gilkey is a 3 star with only offers from ULM and Eastern Illinois.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1419132/highlights/283821388/v2

Edited by UNTLifer

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

Jett Duffey out of Mansfield. 3* DT QB. Has an offer list that we could be very competitive with though he is committed to Tech. It's a guy that I think with the right recruiting strategy we could flip this guy our way.

He already signed LOI

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Tanner shafer. I keep thinking someone will offer him. Everyone seems they are scared of small schools guy

He isn't getting offers because he has a very weird 3/4 arm delivery and no zip on any pass over 20 yards. Watch his huddle video and you will see his receivers have to constantly come back for the ball on deep routes. Those are picks in college.

FBS teams aren't "scared of small school guy," they are scared of guys that don't have the arm to compete at the FBS level.

And these are his best highlights.

Maybe a lower tier FCS or even a D2 prospect.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

He isn't getting offers because he has a very weird 3/4 arm delivery and no zip on any pass over 20 yards. Watch his huddle video and you will see his receivers have to constantly come back for the ball on deep routes. Those are picks in college.

FBS teams aren't "scared of small school guy," they are scared of guys that don't have the arm to compete at the FBS level.

I am not really sure what throws you are talking about, he has a few early where he is on the move going away from the LOS and still drills the ball in on a comeback route and a deep out.  Pretty impressive throws.  He gets rid of the ball quick.  He definitely needs some work but these are the kind of guys you look heavily at.  We aren't going to bring in a ready right now QB early on.  That is fine but absolutely nothing about this kids game makes me think he wouldn't be successful here.  If Tulsa offered (Montgomery had to stamp it) then I would be willing to bet the kid can play QB at this level.  He is a great evaluator of QB talent.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I am not really sure what throws you are talking about, he has a few early where he is on the move going away from the LOS and still drills the ball in on a comeback route and a deep out.  Pretty impressive throws.  He gets rid of the ball quick.  He definitely needs some work but these are the kind of guys you look heavily at.  We aren't going to bring in a ready right now QB early on.  That is fine but absolutely nothing about this kids game makes me think he wouldn't be successful here.  If Tulsa offered (Montgomery had to stamp it) then I would be willing to bet the kid can play QB at this level.  He is a great evaluator of QB talent.  

I haven't seen where Tulsa offered. Several times in the video he is standing and throwing (not on the move) and his receivers have to wait on or even come back to the ball. And it takes the ball a long time to get there when he throws the out routes. A lot of work is right. I just question whether he has the arm strength and velocity to play at the major college level. Looks like I'm not alone in that evaluation...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

My bad I didn't realize you were George Whitfield. I didn't say he was the second coming of Graham Harrell. But I will put money on it that he is a better Division 1 quarterback that Andrew Mcnulty and that was the point I was making.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

My bad I didn't realize you were George Whitfield. I didn't say he was the second coming of Graham Harrell. But I will put money on it that he is a better Division 1 quarterback that Andrew Mcnulty and that was the point I was making.

So butthurt all the time you are.

I do think McNulty is an apt comparison, especially where arm strength is concerned,

• Downvote 6

Just now, UNT90 said:

So butthurt all the time you are.

I do think McNulty is an apt comparison, especially where arm strength is concerned,

Not butt hurt at all. Just find it humorous that 3 people mention liking the quarterback. But you choose to try to call out "RV's son". Yeah I think it is a very apt comparison. Problem is Mcnulty was a senior for a division 1 program and this kid is a senior in high school. That is why I say he will be a better quarterback in college.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Not butt hurt at all. Just find it humorous that 3 people mention liking the quarterback. But you choose to try to call out "RV's son". Yeah I think it is a very apt comparison. Problem is Mcnulty was a senior for a division 1 program and this kid is a senior in high school. That is why I say he will be a better quarterback in college.  

Stop cross-forum-ing. I didn't even look who posted, just that they said colleges ignore small school talent, which isn't true (at least at the level in which Canadian plays).

McNulty stared as a senior in an FBS program )albeit a very very very very very very very bad one). I doubt this kid ever gets that opportunity.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

The discussion on Bowman Sells got me thinking about what HS QB's we should target in this first recruiting class.  I ran across Terry Wilson, Del City, OK and Tristen Wallace, Desoto, TX, who are both committed to Oregon along with another 3 star from Eugene, OR.  I wonder if either one would be a target for flipping?  Let's use this thread to post HS QB's you would like to see us go after in this first recruiting class along with Starkel and DeBiase.  I noticed Starkel and DeBiase are both considered pro-style.  Does Littrell/Harrell prefer these over dual threats with their offense?  Here's one I found interesting out of Tulsa.  Gilkey is a 3 star with only offers from ULM and Eastern Illinois.

One of the of the requirements is can he throw a frig'n out route!!!!!!

15 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Honestly, that tweet gives me trepidation.  
Why did he single out the 3 worst C-USA schools there?   Why did he not include any other schools, or just say, "How has Canadian QB Tanner Schafer not been offered"?   It's the whole perception thing of 'this guy can play at these bottom-dwellers, but not anywhere else'... that usually means: 'this guy can play at the FCS level'.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Why did he single out the 3 worst C-USA schools there?   Why did he not include any other schools, or just say, "How has Canadian QB Tanner Schafer not been offered"?   It's the whole perception thing of 'this guy can play at these bottom-dwellers, but not anywhere else'... that usually means: 'this guy can play at the FCS level'.

Bingo

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I feel like recruiting sites should label QBs "dual-threat" or "mobile" QBs. In this day and age pretty much all QBs can run, even if they aren't a dual-threat. Watch Debiase's film and you can see he can hurt you with his legs, even if he isn't a guy who is a threat to rush for 100-yards in a game in college.

And that goes for a lot of guys. I think you'll see us go after guys with varying degrees of mobility.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is how I feel about the perception some coaches in the area have with us as well. Like, "well, you can't play anywhere else, how about North Texas?" 

I've just noticed some of the solicitations we've gotten from HS coaches on twitter is for guys with no other D1 offers. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

This is how I feel about the perception some coaches in the area have with us as well. Like, "well, you can't play anywhere else, how about North Texas?" 

I've just noticed some of the solicitations we've gotten from HS coaches on twitter is for guys with no other D1 offers. 

I think our previous regime (coach Grant was not a very good recruiting coodinator) probably bit on some of those.

I hope Littrell & crew can break that line of thinking & convince coaches that we deserve a shot at their best players.  I think the only way to really do so is to win.   It was not long ago Houston was on our level.  Now they're getting all kinds of attention from legit prospects & their coaches.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This, coming from you, is hilarious.

Ah, always ready to chime in at my expense.

What does Littrell think of this QB? Because we all know you think he is the best college football coach in history before ever coaching a game...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5