UTSA facing huge challenge in attracting head coach because of timing, pay

Harry

It’s hard to believe any current FBS head coach would take the job because of a variety of factors. The timing is terrible and the pay — at least relatively speaking — could be even worse. According to a database maintained by Footballhotseat.com, Coker made $425,000 last season — tied for fourth-lowest among the 127 FBS schools.

“I think they’ll have trouble getting a coordinator from a Power 5 school,” said Phil Steele, whose yearly football preview is considered the industry standard. “More likely, you’ll be looking for a young, enthusiastic coach from a school outside the power schools.”

Unless the new hire really sizzles in name awareness, it will be hard for whoever gets the job to stand apart in a very competitive recruiting market in the state.

“Whatever UTSA decides to do has to be a contingency basis because they’ve thrown this year away in recruiting,” Collier said. “These next two seasons are throwaways because whoever gets the job won’t see most of the (players) contributing until his third year.”

read more:  http://www.expressnews.com/sports/college_sports/utsa/article/UTSA-facing-huge-challenge-in-attracting-head-6738949.php

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

Work on a young position coach from one of the big schools. Jinks at Bowling Green is making this kind of salary. It will be tough knowing you may not b competitive for 2 more years!

2 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Work on a young position coach from one of the big schools. Jinks at Bowling Green is making this kind of salary. It will be tough knowing you may not b competitive for 2 more years!

Yep, it was a huge mistake on their part to not have a handshake agreement with Jinks before letting Coker go. Unless of course, like @UNT90 said, Coker was just showing them the bird.

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

Yep, it was a huge mistake on their part to not have a handshake agreement with Jinks before letting Coker go. Unless of course, like @UNT90 said, Coker was just showing them the bird.

I think the bird is a good possibility. Loose a Co ord to Eastern Mich and an Assist AD of football takes a position cut for UNT? Uh uh sounds like "Show me the money".   Not

10 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

It will be tough knowing you may not b competitive for 2 more years!

I hope they're never competitive again. Any harm to an in-state recruiting rival(nUTSAck and Texas State San Marcos) is a boon to UNT. We must use their turmoil to our full advantage in recruiting players and flipping their recruits that we think can help us.

• Upvote 3

Am I the only one that is soaking this all in and laughing my ass off inside? Does anyone else view UTSA like NCTC with a football team?

They waited too long to fire Coker and now they will be forced to hire McCarney as a coach. This will set them back 5 years. With no coach at the helm, their recruiting will nose dive. They have 7 LOI's from JUCO's and only 4 "Hard" Verbal commits. I wouldnt be surpirsed if they lost several over the next couple days.

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Years UTSA, See you In San Antonio next year!!

• Upvote 2

I don't refer to them as utsa. It's nutsack or I just don't talk about them. But yes, I see them as a juco school that somehow managed to trick CUSA into letting them join the FBS ranks. 

This will help us since we have a new coach and kind of a short time of recruiting as well. So having Texas St and nutsack going through this right now could spring us into a very respectable class if we cherry pick off of them and land some quality guys on our own. If things go right this class could be better than any McCarney class and it would be a testament to really how bad Dan McCarney recruited way more than it would be a testament to the recruiting job of Littrell and Co (though still a testament). I am ready for recruiting to kick into gear and Spring ball! GMG

11 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Am I the only one that is soaking this all in and laughing my ass off inside? Does anyone else view UTSA like NCTC with a football team?

They waited too long to fire Coker and now they will be forced to hire McCarney as a coach. This will set them back 5 years. With no coach at the helm, their recruiting will nose dive. They have 7 LOI's from JUCO's and only 4 "Hard" Verbal commits. I wouldnt be surpirsed if they lost several over the next couple days.

• Upvote 1

I always enjoy it when another school shows ineptness while dealing with their football team. UTSA probably just killed any hope of being decent for the next 3-5 years. I'll go ahead and mark them down as our 2nd for sure win in 2016, along with Bethune Cookman.

Can we replace Texas State with UTSA in CUSA already? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

Isn't this the class they get the massive influx of signees because of their massive senior class?

UTSA had IMO great early success under Coker.  It really spoiled their fan base.  They still have major advantages being in a huge city with one area football team and the max allowed in student athletic fees.  

The truth is that athletics are tough for any g5 and I think UTSA will continue to struggle.  Texas has the best high school athletics in the nation, but twelve fb teams is way too many.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

UTSA had IMO great early success under Coker.  It really spoiled their fan base.  They still have major advantages being in a huge city with one area football team and the max allowed in student athletic fees.  

The truth is that athletics are tough for any g5 and I think UTSA will continue to struggle.  Texas has the best high school athletics in the nation, but twelve fb teams is way too many.  

So what you are saying is the NCAA should give UTSA the Death Penalty and shove them back down the rabbit hole?

4 hours ago, Withers940 said:

They are not this stupid, IMO, which makes me think Coker had this planned.  I have been thinking that this could be Chico's shot but I wouldn't wish this mess on anyone.

42 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Well they had the advisement and foresight of Coker to systematically plan for the move up to I-A, versus haphazardly doing so as we did.  They have never had the funding.  They built their model around a 5 year plan and 2014 was supposed to be the payoff year.  From a historical perspective, 2014 was their Blitzkrieg that bogged down in the ice. They had more returning seniors and starters than any team in the country.  When 2014 became a fail, they had to rely on limited resources and a waning fan base.  I think Coker's leaving is partially due to the situation they are in.  They are in major rebuilding mode now.  They are getting better players being in C-USA but it will take some time to rebuild.  They have the lowest budget and worst facilities in the conference.  I have no idea what they are doing on the stipend but my sense is they will be participating as at high a level as some of the other C-USA teams.  That affects recruiting.  All that said, we should wish them well.  They are in our conference and we should want all the teams in our conference to succeed. 

1 hour ago, EagleMBA said:

They are not this stupid, IMO, which makes me think Coker had this planned.

Further to my point, I was reminded of this old classic.  The mouse could be Coker...or, RV in another context.

http://www.cafepress.com/+last_great_act_of_defiance_no_text_wall_art_small_poster,625635460