An Atypical List of the Top Films of 2015

sicario3

Harrison Long | Opinion Editor

@HarrisonGLong

Preston Mitchell | Staff Writer

@Presto_Mitch

What can be said with a reasonable degree of certainty is that 2015 was kind to the avid moviegoer. From an array of satisfying sleeper-hits to blockbusters with unmatched entertainment value, the films released this year were diverse in scope and addled with star power.

This list is structured to ensure that no stone is left unturned in the act of appreciating the art of the motion picture, and all those who

To start off, let’s begin with a few films that were notably above average, and yet, just couldn’t crack the Top 10 of the years releases.

Honorable Mentions:

1) “Steve Jobs”: A far superior telling of the controversial tech-mogul’s life than its 2013 predecessor starring Ashton Kutcher. This film is an intimate glimpse into the eyes of genius, and Michael Fassbender is phenomenal.

2) “Slow West”: A sleeper-hit also starring Michael Fassbender, this film is a old-style western with panache. It gets everything right in creating a film in an all-but-dead genre.

3) “Spy”: Arguably the funniest movie of the year, Melissa McCarthy proves once again to be a force to be reckoned with in regard to making a splash on-screen; in both laughs on screen and dollars in the box office, its top-notch.

4) “Sicario”: How better to describe a film with Benecio del Toro rubbing shoulders with Mexian drug cartel’s a la “Traffic” than wholly, uncompromisingly intense? Emily Blunt is phenomenal, and you’d be missing out to let this one sneak by.

5) “The Kingsman”: Imagine a painfully self-aware spy movie, with the intensity turned up to 11, taking the best elements of Roger Moore era Bond and molding it to the modern day. This film is original in every sense of the word.

All five of the above films were marvelous, outstanding in their own way and definitely worthy your time – yet somehow, they could not manage to break into the Top 10 of the Year.

Numbers 10- 4 (in no particular order):

10) “Straight Outta Compton”: The biopic gets everything right in the retelling of the controversial – yet decidedly influential – rap group N.W.A., and their rise to fame despite the odds of growing up on the wrong side of 1980’s Los Angeles. It is riveting, visceral and consequently a feel-good film that makes you believe in the power behind being willing to face the odds. It doesn’t hurt that the soundtrack is pretty killer, too.

9) “Mad Max: Fury Road”: The remake of the 1979 Mel Gibson title of the same name made quite a splash in theatres this year with powerhouse duo Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy taking the reins in a post-apocalyptic world gone unquestionably “mad,” indeed. The dialogue is scarce, so for those who haven’t seen it yet, strap in- it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

8) “Bridge of Spies”: Tom Hanks returns in his usual fashion, and proves once again to be an actor capable of transcending generations to really bring back the fledgling art of storytelling. While it’s long, it’s riddled with historically accurate narratives, tensely-felt emotion, and controversial American history. This is Steven Spielberg’s best in a good while.

7) “Inside Out”: Pixar proves once again that its prodigious ability to make a story accessible and enjoyable to both children and the whole family is without compromises. The story is centered on Riley, a girl uprooted from her Midwest hometown, and the flurry of emotions felt in her move to San Francisco. The voice acting done by Amy Poehler, Bill Hader, and A-List comedic dynamos make the dialogue fun and snappy, while the narrative is heartfelt and sincere. We hope Pixar continues in this direction in the future.

6) “The Martian”: One of the first science-fiction films  to reach a much broader audience in quite some time, “The Martian” is a triumph of the human spirit based on our perceptions of the near future through the lens of space exploration. It is a testament to the necessity of good men and women willing to face new and complicated challenges through calculated measures and teamwork. It showcases the value of perseverance and will likely have you cheering as the credits roll. It also proves that Matt Damon should maybe consider taking less dangerous jobs. Not only for his own health, but for ours, as the actor always seems to find himself in need of someone coming to rescue him.

5) “The Hateful Eight”: In the wake of “Star Wars,” and in spite of the notoriety of its director, this film has seemed to fall to the wayside due to its end-of-year release. This is unfortunate, as the eighth installment in the Tarantino universe is unlike anything the filmmaker has done in the past decade, at least. Centered on (fittingly) eight protagonists, A-Listers like Samuel L. Jackson and Kurt Russell head off to a remote, snowed-in cabin as a mystery unfolds. Chock-full of shocking violence and unparalleled dialogue, Tarantino-buffs will find the film to be much in tune with some of his older works such as “Reservoir Dogs” and “Jackie Brown” than, say, “Kill Bill.” Nonetheless, it is sure to fit right on the shelf next its predecessors, and proves that Mr. Tarantino is incapable of being outsmarted.

4) “Creed”: The seventh installment in the Rocky franchise, the film is perhaps the best since the original 1976 Oscar-winner. Focusing on the rise of the son of former-opponent-turned-friend Apollo Creed, we find the aging Rocky Balboa has shifted into the role of mentor, grooming Michael B. Jordan’s Adonis for greatness in the ring without any compromises to his own morality. It is a triumph, and Stallone’s best film in at least two decades. A must see.

The Top 3 Films of 2015
This list descends from least-great to best, but it should be noted that all three are marvelous, triumphant creations that will certainly hold up for years to come. These are the films that made you happy to spend $10 to sit on your butt for two hours.

3) “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”: The seventh installment in the iconic series was everything fans and critics alike were hoping for when they stepped into theatres on Dec. 18, as has been shown with its record-breaking performance in the box office, recently being crowned as the fastest movie to ever make $1 billion. With a slew of new characters, all seamlessly complimenting the likes of those whom we have always loved, this telling and rebranding of the universe was both spectacular, ominous and promising. With more spin-offs to come in-between the releases of newer installments to the trilogy, one thing is certain: there has never been a better time to become a “Star Wars” fan.

2) “The Revenant”: Gritty, tense and compelling, Leonardo DiCaprio as Hugh Glass is both familiar and utterly original in this pioneer-era survival film. Set in the harsh Alaskan wilderness, Glass finds danger at every turn, and that those closest to him on the job might be the last he should ever turn to for help. The cinematography is unrivaled, the acting first-rate and the characters truly encompassing. You feel the dangers and impending doom from the get-go, and despite some odds scenes here and there where Glass flashes back to memories of his deceased wife, the film is practically flawless. Tom Hardy’s performance is just as riveting, and it will be interesting to see how Leo fairs at this year’s Academy Awards. Stay tuned.

1) “Spotlight”: The telling of the Boston Globe’s crack team of investigative reporters as they navigate the perils of exposing corruption in the Catholic Church is our pick for greatest film of 2015 for a variety of reasons. Namely, while the film is unspeakably good, it is largely unassuming, and the actors make no attempt to convince you that they are anything more than who they are playing: average people. The pace is slow-burn, yet entirely encompassing- even those with no knowledge of the journalistic process will find themselves shouting for editor Michael Keaton to “Run the freaking story!” despite the hell that will rain upon them from the behemoth that is the Vatican and its sprawl over the world. A true story, its telling was done with grace, accuracy and sensitivity toward those who were affected by the revelations of the series of early-2000s exposes done on pedophilia among Boston priests. It is riveting, and both writer’s pick for Best Picture of 2015.

We hope you enjoyed our list, be sure to sound off in the comment section below and let us know if you agree, disagree or if we missed anything! Happy watching.

[url={url}]View the full article[/url]

• Upvote 1

For me personally it was:

1) The Big Short

2) Spotlight

3) Room

Haven't seen The Revenant or The Hateful 8 yet, but I suspect I'll like them. Although I wouldn't consider them the "best made" films this year, I really enjoyed Legend and Love and Mercy as well. I liked most everything I went to the theater for, except for 33, they absolutely failed on the execution of that film.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 1:06 PM, UNTcrazy727 said:

Star Wars at #3?!? What a joke.

Agreed. The movie was certainly enjoyable, but nowhere near being one of the best films of the year. Can't wait for the next one though.

My top 3 would probably be (in no particular order):

- Mad Max

- Spotlight

- Room

And I'm also going to go with Leo for best actor, and Brie Larson for best actress.

I've only yet to see Brooklyn, so maybe that list will change by the time I see the Oscars.

And btw, am I the only person out there that didn't care for The Martian? I mean don't get me wrong, I love Matt Damon, and I really enjoyed watching him figure things out on Mars and his struggle with isolation and possible impending death, but I didn't care as much for the focus on the events happening on earth and I thought the humor in the film was too campy. Just my opinion though.  

Update: The Martian had a good cast, and I initially liked the first hour or so, but after that it got kind of tired. It was too Murphy's Law and drawn out. Sometimes you just gotta keep it simple, stupid.

So I've seen every best picture nominee except Mad Max. I'd still give the nod to The Big Short or Spotlight.

The Revenant is completely overrated. It should be called "Winter Landscape With a Grunting Leonardo Dicaprio and a Menacing Tom Hardy (Which Is Tom Hardy In Pretty Much Every Movie He Is In)" because that's pretty much all it was. I'm usually not one of those people that says the book is better, but in this case the book is waaaaaaay better than the movie. The movie basically used the characters, bear attack, and the revenge aspect of the story and left out the rest of the book out, and there was a lot of great stuff that could have been used. I expected way more out of the movie. Highly recommend the book, pass on the movie.

• Upvote 1

In watching a documentary about filming of the movie "The Revenant" I realized actor Arthur Redcloud who plays "Hikuc" works near my fire station as a truck driver near the Penske Truck service center off Mony Street.  In an interview featured in the Star Telegram Sunday he said he was keeping his regular day job for now.  Pretty cool.

Rick

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw four movies in 2015.  In chronological order:

Big Eyes -- disappointing and boring

Straight Outta Compton -- Made me nostalgic for 80s and early 90s LA.

Star Wars -- I'm not the world's biggest Star Wars geek by any means, so I didn't scrutinize it and just enjoyed the ride

Hateful 8 -- I'm a huge Tarantino fanboy and saw this one twice.  Fastest three hours ever.  Twice.  Shut up.  I loved it.  Don't judge me.