Harry

Tight ends coach and special teams coordinator Mark Elder has been hired as the new head coach at Eastern Kentucky, the Football Championship Subdivision program announced early Tuesday afternoon.

Lexington-based television station WTVQ reported late Monday night that Elder would be hired.

"I'm excited, blessed and honored for the opportunity to lead one of the most tradition-rich programs in college football," Elder said in Eastern Kentucky's release announcing his hire.

Since Tennessee splits up its special teams responsibilities among its coaching staff, Jones has some flexibility with this hire, though he will want to ensure there's no drop-off on special teams or in recruiting.

Offensive coordinator Mike DeBord has a background coaching tight ends, so Tennessee could elect to hire a full-time quarterbacks coach and have DeBord oversee the tight ends.

Graduate assistant Nick Sheridan is highly regarded by DeBord and Jones and could be promoted, but he may in play to join Elder at Eastern Kentucky.

Jones also could bring in another coach to whom he has ties.

One possibility could be Mike Canales, most recently the interim coach at North Texas. Canales has a background as an offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach and spent a couple of years in the NFL before coaching at Arizona, South Florida and North Texas.

read more:  http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2015/dec/08/tennessee-assistant-mark-elder-reportedly-hired-eastern-kentucky/339465/

13 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Cost proved that point in spades.

DMac was the ultimate good ole boy head coach.

Yep. I hated listening to him speak and I am forever grateful for the 17 buying him out. His give up the last 2 years was appearant and I couldn't wait for him to get pushed out since midseaaon of 2012. Even the 2013 season seemed to be teetering on disaster on any given game even with the good players we had because of philosophy and the trend of bad recruiting. I knew in 2012 he was a lame duck and 2013 did nothing for me in regards to changing my opinion on Dan Mccarney. Though 2013 was an enjoyable season. Meanwhile, I'm watching this UH game and it has me thinking there is no reason why this can't be us. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Lets see Chico as a possible QB coach in the OVC, I can't see him getting it but that is a hell of a fall already.  

Remember when the sunshine pumpers wanted to give him a 5 year head coaching contract after the UTSA game? 

Only at North Texas.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 9

17 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Tennessee hired Larry Scott as their tight ends coach. Which means they won't be moving Debord their to make room for Chico.

I always thought that even going to a P5 position coach would be a stretch for him. FCS offensive coordinator or such seems much more fitting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1