'16 QB Augie Debiase (Florida)

BillySee58

16 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Are we putting too much stock in his 1 p5 offer or does he really look like an under the radar gem? And I say one because the Indiana offer came from littrell. Worries me that he doesn't have more attention and quite frankly is unrated by ESPN.

I guess the real question is, other than size, is he any other better than fine for instance? Because he certainly isn't much more advertised and I feel like that's the feeling around here. Please feel free to make me look like a fool.

Like Wag Tag said, also had a Virginia Tech offer. He also led his team to a state title game appearance and lost to one of the best programs in the country in Booker T Washington in Miami. He had a good senior year against some of the best competition in the country.

Also, unrated on ESPN doesn't mean he's worse than a two-star or bad. They're just lazy outside of P5 commits. Tee Goree was rated a 3-star by 247, scout, and rivals, but unranked by ESPN. Not because he was a bad recruit, but because they're lazy. Also, after Morris and Smith leave the remaining guys have not shown much and were recruited by the old guys.

10 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Which is the one p5 offer. I'm not counting the Indiana offer.

Kevin Wilson was and still is the head coach there. If he didn't like Debiase then he wouldn't have been offered.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Uh uh that is 2 p5 offers!

He has an Indiana offer and a Virginia tech offer. Yes that's two. But I'm not counting the Indiana offer because it's from littrell so you take one away which leaves 1 legitimate non-littrell p5 offer. Good Lord...

34 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Kevin Wilson was and still is the head coach there. If he didn't like Debiase then he wouldn't have been offered.

Had it not been repeatedly stated that the Indiana offer might not even be on the table anymore since littrell is not there anymore?

Edited by GMG_Dallas

7 minutes ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

not to deny or anyting, I havent even looked, but do we know Littrell when he was at IU was talking to this kid? just because he was at IU over 2 years ago... and i'm assuming when LIttrell went to UNC he didn't seem to try recuiting the kid it seems like.. 

Yes, he says he has known him for four years. 

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/12/relationship-with-littrell-puts-unt-in-race-for-augie-debiase.html/

Thank you Billy. I definitely see your point that we just don't have a cusa level qb for 2017 and he might be one. Between him and fine, I'm confident we'll have a qb of the future if we land both. Personally, my favorite thing about both is that they can evade pressure and make some plays with their legs and they seem like very high character guys. Also both seem very smart and like leaders. Love that. You can tell our coaching staff is not just going to go after the best talent but also after the best overall athletes with great heads on their shoulders. These don't seem like the kind of guys who will easily give up.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

They also got a QB commitment for their 2016 class about 9 months ago. They haven't been in the market for a 2016 QB since then. The Virginia Tech offer isn't on the table anymore either. But that doesn't mean he didn't earn two P5 offers. 

He's not very tall at 6'1", and if you're 6'1" and don't have elite speed then it's hard to get offered by a lot of schools. The fact that he was offered by two power 5 schools at any point, despite being 6'1" says good things about his ability to play on the conference USA level.

And that's what we're asking him to do. Play at the conference USA level, and beat out QBs who have not yet shown the ability to contend for a job at the conference USA level. It doesn't exactly take an all-CUSA QB to beat out Means and Chumley, who are the QBs with eligibility remaining after Smith and Morris leave.

Read an article recently that he went on a visit with his star TE to Florida St. There was some belief that FSU may offer him a PWO.

Also some VT sites said his accuracy was shaky and that his TE helped make him look good.

Just passing along info

10 hours ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

ok great thanks guys! I'm hoping we can land this kid to pair with Fine for them to hopefully learn from Morris. Another good thing about Littrell recruiting this  kid when he was a sophomore in HS, is they can see how he has grown  somewhat but maybe hard with the amount of kids he has watched film for.

Yes, I'm hoping with 4 years of experience in Saban's results-oriented system, that Morris' work ethic is strong and he can show Fine/Debiase/whoever, how to work to succeed at this level.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Read an article recently that he went on a visit with his star TE to Florida St. There was some belief that FSU may offer him a PWO.

Also some VT sites said his accuracy was shaky and that his TE helped make him look good.

Just passing along info

What tight end are you referring to?

20 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

My bad it was WR Rick Wells 4 star committed to UF. He also had another WR who was a 3 star who is committed to MTSU. Both those WR's had tons of offers so plenty of other coaches saw Augie throw.

Yup. Raines is loaded. One of the best programs at producing D1 talent in the country, historically. Oh yeah, definitely not saying he's some hidden kid who didn't get enough exposure. I just think he's a step above the young guys on our roster (Means and Chumley) in terms of actually getting on the field with this coaching staff.

It kind of reminds me of people saying there was no reason to give Dillman a chance at QB because of John Walsh. Would Mcnulty, Greer, Means, or Chumley ever been able to play QB for Walsh either? They certainly weren't able to get the offers he did. Same with Debiase. How innacurate would VT people thinks Means was, completing under 50% as a high school senior? I've never touted either of those guys against the rest of CUSA. Just against the other guys Mccarney brought in.

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Yup. Raines is loaded. One of the best programs at producing D1 talent in the country, historically. Oh yeah, definitely not saying he's some hidden kid who didn't get enough exposure. I just think he's a step above the young guys on our roster (Means and Chumley) in terms of actually getting on the field with this coaching staff.

It kind of reminds me of people saying there was no reason to give Dillman a chance at QB because of John Walsh. Would Mcnulty, Greer, Means, or Chumley ever been able to play QB for Walsh either? They certainly weren't able to get the offers he did. Same with Debiase. How innacurate would VT people thinks Means was, completing under 50% as a high school senior? I've never touted either of those guys against the rest of CUSA. Just against the other guys Mccarney brought in.

I do believe Debiase is better suited than Means or Chumley. 

Im of the opinion that this staff is better suited to evaluate QB talent then the previous staff. Anyone they offer or bring in I believe is a step above what we already had here.

Landing Debiase, Fine, and Morris would be a solid starting point for Littrell.

Moving Dillman to QB would be a wise move as well, but Im interested in seeing him as an athletic TE. Off topic here but could Chumley and Dillman eventually develop into a poor mans Jace Amaro/Eric Ebron?

2 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

I do believe Debiase is better suited than Means or Chumley. 

Im of the opinion that this staff is better suited to evaluate QB talent then the previous staff. Anyone they offer or bring in I believe is a step above what we already had here.

Landing Debiase, Fine, and Morris would be a solid starting point for Littrell.

Moving Dillman to QB would be a wise move as well, but Im interested in seeing him as an athletic TE. Off topic here but could Chumley and Dillman eventually develop into a poor mans Jace Amaro/Eric Ebron?

Littrell is not afraid of using the TE.  Gronk has attested.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Very true. I view this offense as being one that takes advantage athletes, by putting them in position to succeed. Something the previous offense failed at. The offensive brain power UNT now has is probably more than has ever been here on a staff.

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not only was Littrell not the OC when Gronk was at Arizona, but Gronk never played a down while Littrell was at Arizona. Gronk missed the entire 2009 season, which was Littrell's first at Arizona and Gronk's last.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

He has an Indiana offer and a Virginia tech offer. Yes that's two. But I'm not counting the Indiana offer because it's from littrell so you take one away which leaves 1 legitimate non-littrell p5 offer. Good Lord...

Had it not been repeatedly stated that the Indiana offer might not even be on the table anymore since littrell is not there anymore?

So they don't have any offers so that stinks , now we are trying to down play 2 p5 offers ! He was in contact with the kid at NC!!! It is so nice to know that UNT has a degree in mind reading! Your statement is crap! Sorry!0

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Not only was Littrell not the OC when Gronk was at Arizona, but Gronk never played a down while Littrell was at Arizona. Gronk missed the entire 2009 season, which was Littrell's first at Arizona and Gronk's last.

Oh!  oops.
I guess the Athletic Department just gathered that statement from him extoling the genius of Littrell just for the value of his name.

23 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Like I just told MGT, Gronk never played a down while Littrell was at Arizona because of injury, and Littrell didn't become OC until Gronk was in the NFL.

I don't think he values the tight end all that much. He didn't use the tight ends much at North Carolina, and despite recruiting many JUCOs here he didn't bother to go after a juco tight end. Even though his three current tight ends have yet to play a meaningful snap, two are coming off redshirts, and none were very highly recruited at tight end. That tells me he isn't that worried if he doesn't get much out of that position.

For that reason I don't see the harm in moving Dillman.

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh!  oops.
I guess the Athletic Department just gathered that statement from him extoling the genius of Littrell just for the value of his name.

Exactly. And I don't blame them either. And Littrell was technically his position coach, so it wasn't too much of a reach.

Edited by BillySee58

2 hours ago, TravisUNT said:

Robert Allen reporter for Scout.com and GoPokes.com says confirmed that Mason Fine is PWO. So Augie would be ONLY Scholly QB.

Hold on. Are you sure he isn't talking about the offer from Ok St.? I mean, he does write for GoPokes?

If what you say is true, I just got a lot more excited about Fine. 

• Upvote 2