QB Coleman Key Transferring

Eagle-96

QB Coleman Key a redshirt freshman for Colorado State is transferring. Coleman was a 3 star pro style QB out of Broken Arrow Oklahoma. He had offers from Colorado State, Illinois, Houston, Toledo, Western Michigan, Arkansas State, and North Texas. He saw action in 6 games this season as a back up. Maybe Seth uses his Oklahoma connections to bring in a QB for 2017.

• Upvote 7

He completed 47.7% of his passes; DaMarcus completed 46.9%.

It's a push.  We're obviously not getting a JUCO at the break.  So, what would it hurt to bring in another guy who can't hit 50% of his passes? 

I swear, some people here are like beaten dogs.  Any QB anywhere who transfers has them salivating.  If Littrell and his staff ever get around to recruiting, let's hope he gets someone better than guys that we already know weren't able to do the job somewhere else.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this question. In this "Air Raid" system, what is the ideal QB? Pro-style, which I always think is not all that mobile, or Trevion Boykin style?  Somewhere in between?

To me, the perfect college QB, is something like Tony Romo early in his pro career (I didn't see him in college).......minus the int's. The second coming of Mitch Maher, Scott Hall or Jordan Case would be another" type" I'd like to see. All great arms and all mobile.

So does anyone know who Coach Littrell/Harrell consider their "ideal" QB/

• Upvote 1

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this question. In this "Air Raid" system, what is the ideal QB? Pro-style, which I always think is not all that mobile, or Trevion Boykin style?  Somewhere in between?

To me, the perfect college QB, is something like Tony Romo early in his pro career (I didn't see him in college).......minus the int's. The second coming of Mitch Maher, Scott Hall or Jordan Case would be another" type" I'd like to see. All great arms and all mobile.

these air raid offenses in college are geared toward QBs and WRs that are smart and can read defenses. You don't have to be the best physical specimen as much as you need to have quickness and know the system.  The offense imposes it's will on the defense.  Not the other way around.  It's designed to create mismatches.  A smart QB that can find the right matchup is needed.  He has to be able to make quick decisions and get rid of the ball quickly before the defense can react.  A strong arm and running ability can make it even harder to deal with, but the reading and quick release is very important because the blitz/d line is coming with the limited blocking, if you hesitate.  This style does not fit our current QBs at all.  

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 2

these air raid offenses in college are geared toward QBs and WRs that are smart and can read defenses. You don't have to be the best physical specimen as much as you need to have quickness and know the system.  The offense imposes it's will on the defense.  Not the other way around.  It's designed to create mismatches.  A smart QB that can find the right matchup is needed.  He has to be able to make quick decisions and get rid of the ball quickly before the defense can react.  A strong arm and running ability can make it even harder to deal with, but the reading and quick release is very important because the blitz/d line is coming with the limited blocking, if you hesitate.  This style does not fit our current QBs at all.  

You didn't specifically mention it but accuracy is very important.   Smart ... accurate ... strong enough arm ... I believe those are the most important factors.   Great arm, running ability, physical ability add to the mix.  Think of Graham Harrell ... or Colt McCoy at Texas.  

What's great about this offense is we don't need teh 6'4", 220 lbs quarterback or 4.4 speed in all of the receivers.   You can make due with a quarterback who is smart and accurate.   You can have small, slow white guys at receiver.  The more talent the better it will be but you don't need the ideal physical specimens. 

• Upvote 1

You didn't specifically mention it but accuracy is very important.   Smart ... accurate ... strong enough arm ... I believe those are the most important factors.   Great arm, running ability, physical ability add to the mix.  Think of Graham Harrell ... or Colt McCoy at Texas.  

What's great about this offense is we don't need teh 6'4", 220 lbs quarterback or 4.4 speed in all of the receivers.   You can make due with a quarterback who is smart and accurate.   You can have small, slow white guys at receiver.  The more talent the better it will be but you don't need the ideal physical specimens. 

you are correct.  I assumed accuracy considering many of the passes are 20 yards or less, but as we have seen at UNT...accuracy, even at 20 yards or less is not a given.  Good call.

• Upvote 2

Any thoughts on how he does/does not fit the Air Raid system. What are your thoughts on him in general. Seems to have had some pretty good offers out of high school as well as good size.

I never watched his film, but I think pretty much any type of QB can thrive in this system. Littrell and Harrell will call plays appropriately. Tall pocket passers, shorter pocket passers, tall dual-threats, shorter dual-threats. If he's good we'll make it work.

If he becomes a legitimate possibility I'll watch his film. Maybe I still will tomorrow. I remember reading in the preseason magazine I got (forgot which one) that the old Colorado State staff, Jim Mcelwain who is now HC at Florida, was really high on this kid so that's a pretty good thing. Mcelwain is a pretty good coach and he thought highly of this kid both in the recruiting process and during his redshirt year. Definitely was a better QB prospect than any QBs Mccarney signed (unless you count Dillman).

• Upvote 1

I never watched his film, but I think pretty much any type of QB can thrive in this system. Littrell and Harrell will call plays appropriately. Tall pocket passers, shorter pocket passers, tall dual-threats, shorter dual-threats. If he's good we'll make it work.

If he becomes a legitimate possibility I'll watch his film. Maybe I still will tomorrow. I remember reading in the preseason magazine I got (forgot which one) that the old Colorado State staff, Jim Mcelwain who is now HC at Florida, was really high on this kid so that's a pretty good thing. Mcelwain is a pretty good coach and he thought highly of this kid both in the recruiting process and during his redshirt year. Definitely was a better QB prospect than any QBs Mccarney signed (unless you count Dillman).

Agree, based on watching 5'10" Baker Mayfield.  He's short, and his mechanics are horrible.  But...he is disciplined about when to throw and when not to force a bad pass. 

Also, we say all too often that this guy or that guy has a "strong arm."  Mayfield truly does have a strong arm.  Very few of his passes flutter.  They are tight and quick.

Little QBs can get it done...if they have more tools than just "he's athletic"...the stupid code word for "he pulls the ball down and runs with it."

He completed 47.7% of his passes; DaMarcus completed 46.9%.

It's a push.  We're obviously not getting a JUCO at the break.  So, what would it hurt to bring in another guy who can't hit 50% of his passes? 

I swear, some people here are like beaten dogs.  Any QB anywhere who transfers has them salivating.  If Littrell and his staff ever get around to recruiting, let's hope he gets someone better than guys that we already know weren't able to do the job somewhere else.

Cannot recruit until the end of the dead period.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/14/2015 at 7:14 PM, SilverEagle said:

Mobility in this offense is just about irrelevant. 

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Woody+Wilson.JPG

This was the guy who actually went out on the field and ad-libbed the boring-ass playbook to make plays, including a great TD run against SMU in 2006 that clinced our win and kept them from going to a bowl. He was the same guy who barely got to play after this--because he wouldn't follow the playbook of the Dickster.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1