'16 ATH Keenen Johnson (Alto)

BillySee58

7 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Tulsa is a long ways from home so I hope he keeps that in mind. Tulsa=6 Hours from home, Denton= 3 hours from home. Family sees every game to family sees just a few.

Also to keep in mind...  every other year, he's going to get a shot for his parents to see not only all 6 of his home games, but 3 (the "all-3-C-USA-TX-teams-AWAY" years), and maybe 4 (LATech) away games.  Lots of opportunities to have his family/friends see him.  VS SMU away & Tulane away.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes these  young men like a place similar in size to home.  Tulsa is a very small school tucked away in Tulsa, OK.  UNT, on the other hand, is one of the largest schools in the state, the largest employer in Denton, close to all the opportunities a metropolitan market can offer.  Sometimes staying small is what they want and some want the limelight.  Guess we will see which scenario fits Mr. Johnson's style.

28 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Sometimes these  young men like a place similar in size to home.  Tulsa is a very small school tucked away in Tulsa, OK.  UNT, on the other hand, is one of the largest schools in the state, the largest employer in Denton, close to all the opportunities a metropolitan market can offer.  Sometimes staying small is what they want and some want the limelight.  Guess we will see which scenario fits Mr. Johnson's style.

Just a note on that...during undergrad I was an Eagle Ambassador (tour guide) and an incredibly common theme was when I would state our student population, people would look surprised and say, "But this feels like a small school!"  So having been on campus, hopefully that won't be a factor for him.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, cdizzle86 said:

Never second guess yourself, kid. You'll probably be kicking yourself in a couple of years.

Tulsa is a beautiful campus and has had successful football in the recent past and just went to a bowl game. I think he'll be just fine, I think it's ridiculous to say recruits will regret it if they don't come to your school... Come on.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Tulsa might have the advantage with some of these kids from smaller communities.  UNT is a huge campus.  It never felt that way to me, but I grew up in Denton, so I always thought all colleges were like that.  Players like Johnson just might feel more comfortable in a smaller university setting.

• Upvote 1