Meacham out of the running

meanJewGreen

Littrell must have brought in a binder into his interview with RV. He likes binders...

"Look here RV, I got me a binder of all the Jimmy John's sammiches I ever had. Sammiches are a big deal in Oklahoma and I wanted you to know I want to be paid 25% of my salary in tasty subs from Jimmy John's. They serve 'em up ridiculously fast. Do we have a deal?"

*RV's eyes well up. He found his soulmate. But fate dictated he would have to wait a week. So he dialed up Jimmy John's. They never made him wait. That would satiate him while his new love coached up the Tar Heels.* 

/scene. 

• Upvote 5

It is entirely possible that Meacham's agent, sensing Meacham was the preferred choice, tried to play hardball with the terms and UNT had to back away and never offer.  Hard to say without someone on the inside.  If UNT knew they were not going to be able to meet the requirements they threaten to move on to the 'other guy'.  Each side throws a little smoke out in the media to force the other's hand, chaos ensues, etc...

Who the F really knows?

• Upvote 1

Missing on Meacham is entirely unacceptable...he was the most qualified candidate by a million miles....We are a joke.

I would have to completely disagree with this and I do believe Seth Littrell is the superior candidate almost hands down. He has more time at OC, more energy, younger, hungrier. I am not saying Meacham is not a great candidate. I do believe Seth to have much more upside. 

I know I posted in another thread that Fedora doesn't want any distractions so they won't announce until after the ACC championship game on Saturday but what happens if UNC beats #1 Clemson on Saturday and sneaks into the CFB.

1. Littrell may garner interest from some bigger fish after beating Clemson and we may be left out in the cold with both Meacham and Littrell gone. Hello Bruce Chambers.

2. We may not get Littrell until after January because he is preparing UNC for the National Championship which seriously hampers our recruiting efforts.(I know Herrman pulled double duty at Ohio State and Houston, but that may not be the case here)

After considering this scenario I think we want an announcement ASAP so we don't get kicked in the nuts.

It's still unlikely UNC makes it even if they win.  However, I don't think Littrell would stay for the playoffs as we would have to move on unless it was some kind of double duty. 

I would have to completely disagree with this and I do believe Seth Littrell is the superior candidate almost hands down. He has more time at OC, more energy, younger, hungrier. I am not saying Meacham is not a great candidate. I do believe Seth to have much more upside. 

It comes down to recruiting in DFW for me...maybe you're right and I'm wrong, but I feel like it's the difference maker between the two. 

• Upvote 1

Wasn't Meacham meeting on campus yesterday? What went so terribly wrong that he decided he didn't even want to be a candidate anymore?

In all seriousness, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if TCU came up with more money since he will be the sole OC, most likely, and it was enough to sway him toward keeping things as is for him and his family right now. When you look at the roster here and the issues he would face, it probably made him realize that doubling his salary at TCU as the OC for a guy who isn't leaving anytime soon beats the hell out of tripling your salary and going to a barren wasteland of college football right now, with no light at the end of the tunnel anytime soon.

We have no QB, no size on defense, and an entire set of offensive players built for an offense that is 180 degrees from Meacham's. When he was tripling his salary to take that on, it looked pretty attractive. When TCU doubles his pay and gives him the OC duty as his own, with a roster full of great talent that is a Big XII power right now, he probably found the current gig a heckuva lot better than the move up to Denton.

Littrell may very well get another offer before its said and done. If so, we will find out just how badly he wants to get back closer to home.

• Downvote 1

It comes down to recruiting in DFW for me...maybe you're right and I'm wrong, but I feel like it's the difference maker between the two. 

How do you know Seth is not a good recruiter of DFW? The schools he as been at recruit from everywhere why would he not keep his own back recruiting up to speed.

For sake of argument lets just suppose the recruiting side is a wash, I do think thoughts about recruiting Texas are assumptions anyways. How do you stand? 

Plus recruiting will be a big part of what his staff will half to do. 

How do you know Seth is not a good recruiter of DFW? The schools he as been at recruit from everywhere why would he not keep his own back recruiting up to speed.

For sake of argument lets just suppose the recruiting side is a wash, I do think thoughts about recruiting Texas are assumptions anyways. How do you stand? 

Plus recruiting will be a big part of what his staff will half to do. 

You're right - I don't know that for sure.  It is an assumption.  The numbers are out there to be collected but I don't have the energy to collect them.  BUT, I'm pretty sure that 1. Being born and raised in Arlington, 2. Coaching in OK/TX for the last 10 consecutive years, and 3. Coaching in the metroplex the last 2 means he has more relationships than a guy who has only spent 3 years out of the last 15 in the state of Texas - even if Littrell recruited TX during the years he's been gone there's no way he was as plugged into it as Meach.  I also believe he has the energy and the brand name to excite kids.  I know my prior words were relatively extreme because I'm feeling the emotional effects of this roller coaster, and I've stated that I don't have any problems with Littrell...I just believe that Meach was THE guy...slam dunk...perfect choice...stars aligned kind of potential get. 

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 1

You're right - I don't know that for sure.  It is an assumption.  The numbers are out there to be collected but I don't have the energy to collect them.  BUT, I'm pretty sure that 1. Being born and raised in Arlington, 2. Coaching in OK/TX for the last 10 consecutive years, and 3. Coaching in the metroplex the last 2 means he has more relationships than a guy who has only spent 3 years out of the last 15 in the state of Texas - even if Littrell recruited TX during the years he's been gone there's no way he was as plugged into it as Meach.  I also believe he has the energy and the brand name to excite kids.  I know my prior words were relatively extreme because I'm feeling the emotional effects of this roller coaster, and I've stated that I don't have any problems with Littrell...I just believe that Meach was THE guy...slam dunk...perfect choice...stars aligned kind of potential get. 

Fair enough.

I am not sure how important DFW even is as long as  he recruits the talent we need to be good. 

I like the age and stops Littrell has made, we would be a stepping stone for him. That becomes a Make It or Break It situation for Littrell which means he has what I think is more to lose. So even more than money he needs to be successful to continue to write his own ticket.