Villarreal: Head Coaching decision coming soon

Harry

North Texas is on the verge of announcing who will take over as its new head football coach.

UNT lost to UTEP 20-17 in its final game of the season Saturday at Apogee Stadium. Several of the coaches UNT is talking to about taking over the program finished their regular seasons with their current programs over the last few days.

TCU co-offensive coordinator Doug Meacham and North Carolina assistant head coach for offense Seth Littrell are among the coaches in the mix. A UNT source confirmed Saturday that both are among the final few coaches in the running for the position, but said it is premature to say that the school has narrowed its focus just to those two coaches.

“We have done our due diligence and will make a decision soon,” UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said shortly after the game. “All of the things that we have to do are dependent on people’s schedules.”

UNT is seeking a coach to take over for Dan McCarney, who was fired five games into his fifth season with the Mean Green.

The Mean Green have posted just one winning season in their last 11 and tied the school record for losses in a season after falling to UTEP. UNT finished 1-11, matching the mark set in 2008 under Todd Dodge.

read more:  http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20151128-villarreal-coach-decision-coming-soon.ece

A bit concerning that RV makes it clear here that these are not just the two finalists.  These two coaches are a bit outside of the normal road that RV likes to take in hiring coaches.

lol PR bs RV knows who they are just wants to keep it up in the air. He acted like he didn't know how Riley got leaked the decided he wasn't interested. 

• Upvote 3

lol PR bs RV knows who they are just wants to keep it up in the air. He acted like he didn't know how Riley got leaked the decided he wasn't interested. 

Or maybe that is all that Smatresk has felt he needed to share with the dysfunctional AD we call RV.

I'd like to hear from our resident recruiting experts on both Meacham and Littrell.  From what little I've read (basically their coaching bios) I think I'd pick Littrell...but he has been coaching at schools that are easier to recruit to than North Texas and all of his experience is outside the G5 level.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd like us to hire a guy who knows the landscape around CUSA and can hit the ground running from day one.  I'm tired of losing. 

According to this article,  Meacham not supposed to be on campus until Monday.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article46934515.html

Football Scoop says Sunday and the Star Telegram says Monday. Who knows.

I have never seen Meachams name tied to Maryland

Maybe they are holding the interview at a Jimmy John's today, and he will be on campus tomorrow for the hiring press conference?

• Upvote 1