"The 17"

UNTLifer

President Smatresk refused to give RV a vote of confidence after RV asked. Smatresk them leaked this fact to the media.

If he could fire him, it's pretty clear he would have by now. People like Fly and Ernie are either threatening to withhold money or the BOR is protecting RV. Or a combination of both.

What is clear is that Smatresk wants him gone but doesn't have the clout to get it done.

I think Ernie is the driving force on this thing. 

Someday he will get tired of throwing good money after bad with RV, but that day obviously is not upon us. 

Some people just don't want to admit they are wrong, especially when they have a personal relationship with the person they were wrong about.

Some of you in bad marriages can (or will refuse to) relate. 

I find the bolded part funny.  17, or 19, people don't hold that much sway over Smatresk.  So Ernie decides to take his money and run.  A good AD should be able to replace Ernie and any of these 17, 18, or 19 people pretty quick.

I also find it hard to believe that Ernie will put up with mediocre results.  Being around him almost daily at a previous job, mediocre results don't sit well with Mr. Kuehne.

I find the bolded part funny.  17, or 19, people don't hold that much sway over Smatresk.  So Ernie decides to take his money and run.  A good AD should be able to replace Ernie and any of these 17, 18, or 19 people pretty quick.
I also find it hard to believe that Ernie will put up with mediocre results.  Being around him almost daily at a previous job, mediocre results don't sit well with Mr. Kuehne.

Yes you nailed it A good AD there you go. 

But this small group is all that RV has built over 15 years and he still has a job. 

Smatresk may not be concerned about Ernie walking away, but the BOR might very well be concerned. 

Look, we all agree RV has grossly underperformed. His buyout is affordable. What else could be keeping him employed?

I'd love to hear a theory.

• Upvote 1

My theory is that there is a hangover from the facilities that RV has put in place .  You have to understand that nothing was done by the Athletic Department forever as far as improving facilities and raising any type of money. I think people are still appreciative of that and that RV is "resting on his laurels" because of this. The sad thing is that people will pat him on the back when baseball is implemented in a few years. At UNT, this was so much more than what was ever done in the past and still awes some people. Unfortunately, he would have been pushed out the door anywhere else.  That is my theory. 

Now, he needs to be held accountable for failed hires, failed scheduling and failed promotions, the things that sustain the department when the building stops. 

• Upvote 1

My theory is that there is a hangover from the facilities that RV has put in place .  You have to understand that nothing was done by the Athletic Department forever as far as improving facilities and raising any type of money. I think people are still appreciative of that and that RV is "resting on his laurels" because of this. The sad thing is that people will pat him on the back when baseball is implemented in a few years. At UNT, this was so much more than what was ever done in the past and still awes some people. Unfortunately, he would have been pushed out the door anywhere else.  That is my theory. 

Now, he needs to be held accountable for failed hires, failed scheduling and failed promotions, the things that sustain the department when the building stops. 

Good theory, IMO. There isn't anyone I know who dismisses or doesn't appreciate his physical plant efforts, Lifer, but it seems to me that the things I highlighted above have been neglected except for token efforts. UNT needs the complete AD package...yesterday.

Man you guys talk a lot of shit.  Instead of ripping the 17 you should be asking why there are not more.  

True! If you have a better fisherman you have a chance to land more fish IMO.

• Upvote 1

Good theory, IMO. There isn't anyone I know who dismisses or doesn't appreciate his physical plant efforts, Lifer, but it seems to me that the things I highlighted above have been neglected except for token efforts. UNT needs the complete AD package...yesterday.

Which is why I concluded my post with that sentence.  The facilities, outside of baseball, have been met.  In fact, I think it was stated somewhere that RV said starting the baseball program would fulfill his plan/vision.  Too bad he has overlooked the things that keep those facilities full and the teams that play in them successful.  And, I would add that his other failure has been to grow season tickets and Mean Green Club levels.  The poor delivery of these programs, and RV obviously being alright with this poor service, will be another notch in his "downfall belt."  Cerebus has shown the stats that support his greatest failure.  These numbers should grow every year with the influx of new graduates/alumni, but the numbers have been flat and embarrassingly low during his entire tenure.

• Upvote 1

Smatresk may not be concerned about Ernie walking away, but the BOR might very well be concerned. 

Look, we all agree RV has grossly underperformed. His buyout is affordable. What else could be keeping him employed?

I'd love to hear a theory.

It may be a timing thing. He may be looking at the current state of things and not want to make the change right now. Since we don't know everything going on, it could be that there are a few things that Smatresk doesn't want to interrupt or complicate that RV will see through to completion or to a steady state and then a change made. Could be that he wants to finish the academic year and then make a change. There are any number of valid reasons to wait a bit longer to make the change, especially with someone who has been around as long as RV has. I think June to August could be interesting and that may be where we see the change.

It may be a timing thing. He may be looking at the current state of things and not want to make the change right now. Since we don't know everything going on, it could be that there are a few things that Smatresk doesn't want to interrupt or complicate that RV will see through to completion or to a steady state and then a change made. Could be that he wants to finish the academic year and then make a change. There are any number of valid reasons to wait a bit longer to make the change, especially with someone who has been around as long as RV has. I think June to August could be interesting and that may be where we see the change.

So after a MBB coach is hired...great...

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't you love a job where you got paid $375k a year to do nothing?

Such is the life of UNT AD, easiest job in America.

I don't know that I would describe it as nothing, but it certainly is being excluded from an important part of the job. Also, I am not sure that he is completely out of the hiring process, but you seem to be convinced. Maybe you have more info there than I. It certainly does seem that Smatresk is overseeing this.

If you believe, as UNT90 seems to, that RV isn't involved in this hire, then why would the MBB hire be any different?

That's the real problem isn't it? Who is responsible for the hire(s)?

It's just not right to let this drag out. RV runs a very dysfunctional department. I would argue the dysfunction is so bad it should cost him his job, to say nothing of his inability to hire winning coaches in the big 3 sports. 

If Smatresk is letting RV hang himself with (another) bad hire it kills the program for another 3-5 years. If RV has been sidelined he's playing with house money since nothing is his responsibly. It's also incredibly unfair to the new football coach and the new basketball coach. None of that addresses the massive amount of dissent in the fanbase and the lost revenue and donations from continuing to disaffect them by keeping RV.

If he thinks RV is doing great and is keeping him based on merit, then just say it so people can choose if they want to continue supporting the program with that in mind.

• Upvote 4

That's the real problem isn't it? Who is responsible for the hire(s)?

It's just not right to let this drag out. RV runs a very dysfunctional department. I would argue the dysfunction is so bad it should cost him his job, to say nothing of his inability to hire winning coaches in the big 3 sports. 

If Smatresk is letting RV hang himself with (another) bad hire it kills the program for another 3-5 years. If RV has been sidelined he's playing with house money since nothing is his responsibly. It's also incredibly unfair to the new football coach and the new basketball coach. None of that addresses the massive amount of dissent in the fanbase and the lost revenue and donations from continuing to disaffect them by keeping RV.

If he thinks RV is doing great and is keeping him based on merit, then just say it so people can choose if they want to continue supporting the program with that in mind.

Not sure how not letting him make the final call on the hire means he is doing nothing and just kicking back and collecting a paycheck. Just speculation on may part, but I think that Smatresk doesn't want to be attempting to make that many athletics hires all at once while attempting to lead the university proper as well. He may get the HFC hire made, then basketball (nothing so far to believe that it is not coming), then make an AD change after those are done and school is out for the summer. Again, my guess, but the man is busy and adding that many important personnel decisions all at once would just add to the issue. Add to that that he would have to take a much more hands on approach to the AD day-to-day without a Director in place and I can see why he may want to slow roll the whole thing. 

Not sure how not letting him make the final call on the hire means he is doing nothing and just kicking back and collecting a paycheck. Just speculation on may part, but I think that Smatresk doesn't want to be attempting to make that many athletics hires all at once while attempting to lead the university proper as well. He may get the HFC hire made, then basketball (nothing so far to believe that it is not coming), then make an AD change after those are done and school is out for the summer. Again, my guess, but the man is busy and adding that many important personnel decisions all at once would just add to the issue. Add to that that he would have to take a much more hands on approach to the AD day-to-day without a Director in place and I can see why he may want to slow roll the whole thing. 

Or, hire a new department head for athletics and let him/her do their job...

Delegation really frees you up for the important stuff.

Or, hire a new department head for athletics and let him/her do their job...

Delegation really frees you up for the important stuff.

Agreed, but it depends on how he prioritized the hires. If he goes in order of salary, then AD would be the last position he chased. Also, he has gone through the process of replacing an AD before (at UNLV if memory serves) and he may have found it best to do after the sports all wrap for the year to make the transition smoother. The truth is, none of us really know what is going on, but it does seem that he is not happy with how things are going.

Because that would be so backassward.

Yet so North Texas.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

So explain to me how going through 2 coaching hires knowing all along you want to replace the AD, then replacing that AD right after the coaching hires makes any sense at all. It doesn't. And it would only happen at North Texas...

I can admit that, since I don't know everything going on in the AD, I can't say for sure if it makes sense or not. There are so many things that we don't know which makes it impossible to make a firm determination either way. Do you know everything going on? Since you are so wrapped around the axle about everything, I would guess no, but I have been wrong before. But I will bow to your infinite and infallible wisdom in this and all things.

• Upvote 1