It's been 1109 days since Alabama-Huntsville

CMJ

The Benford era started with one of the most stunning belly flops in recent college basketball history, with a buzzed team in numerous publications losing it's first game to a D2 school.  The first season was a spectacular disappointment, and despite a mediocre second year - the Benford experiment has basically never recovered from that beginning.

The fact that we were just the LAST PLACE TEAM in a tournament that we hosted...and NAMED...not to mention had a player leave the team IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME...should be the last straw.

Who steps up as the new coach? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

The Benford era started with one of the most stunning belly flops in recent college basketball history, with a buzzed team in numerous publications losing it's first game to a D2 school.  The first season was a spectacular disappointment, and despite a mediocre second year - the Benford experiment has basically never recovered from that beginning.

The fact that we were just the LAST PLACE TEAM in a tournament that we hosted...and NAMED...not to mention had a player leave the team IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME...should be the last straw.

Did I miss something?  Who left the team in the middle of a game?

EDIT:  Sorry, just saw that it was Harris.  Interesting...I was there and did not even notice.  He seemed to be getting off to a good start this season.  Could it be frustration over J. Brown playing more while turning the ball over regularly?  I have no clue, but tonight's game was painful to watch. Maybe that's why I didn't notice.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Someone from the current staff or try to find a new replacement as soon as possible? 

Just like any mid-season coach firing, you select an interim from the current coaching staff and let the people in charge (hopefully not RV this time) get a new coach for next year. We're not firing him to turn this current year around. We'd be firing him to try and get this program turned back around.

Just par for the course.  You just have laugh and move on.  

Yes. The problem is that too many fans have laughed and moved away. UNT is the punchline in numerous jokes.

• Upvote 2

Who steps up as the new coach? 

me, I'll take 1/2 his salary. :) shoot it's 4-5 times what I make now. We will go VCU on everyone we play run and jump and everything but assault. Shoot 3s and throw oops baby. 

Did I miss something?  Who left the team in the middle of a game?

EDIT:  Sorry, just saw that it was Harris.  Interesting...I was there and did not even notice.  He seemed to be getting off to a good start this season.  Could it be frustration over J. Brown playing more while turning the ball over regularly?  I have no clue, but tonight's game was painful to watch. Maybe that's why I didn't notice.

thanks for saying hi. I sat right behind the bench, I like getting a feel for what's going on when balls in play, and coach ain't watching. It seems to me the guys on the bench don't care about the guys who were in. Could it be 2 straight losses and a bad game tonight? Sure, but losing brings out a lot of truth's about athletes and coaches. Imo

• Upvote 2

Oh I don't mean move on to a different team, I just mean move on to the next one.

Oh, I took it the way you intended and agreed. I was just adding that, in my opinion, this continuing crap is driving fans away from supporting the program. This is evident in attendance and in financial support. Actually, I don't think those fans are supporting other teams...they are just hibernating IMO. I suppose there is a length of time where they are lost for good. In my case, all it took was three home games under Benford to pack it in. I'll be back for basketball when we have a different coach...if I live that long.

• Upvote 6

I just I wish we could hold ANYONE accountable in the poor excuse for an athletic program. 

Fed up. 

Fixed.

Look, the select few big donors have their super secret mean green room seperate from all the other donors. RV whispers sweet nothings in their ear and makes them feel special.

Who really cares if we win or lose?

Apparantly not those guys.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4

Fixed.

Look, the select few big donors have their super secret mean green room seperate from all the other donors. RV whispers sweet nothings in their ear and makes them feel special.

Who really cares if we win or lose?

Apparantly not those guys.

come on Mike.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with providing benefits to our donors at any level.  You want "big time"?  Well this is exactly what "big time" programs do for their largest donors.  Why do you just have to find something to complain about when absolutely nothing is there?  People care.  They may or may not "care" the way you have decided is the only right and proper way to care, but they do care.  Come on, man!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

come on Mike.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with providing benefits to our donors at any level.  You want "big time"?  Well this is exactly what "big time" programs do for their largest donors.  Why do you just have to find something to complain about when absolutely nothing is there?  People care.  They may or may not "care" the way you have decided is the only right and proper way to care, but they do care.  Come on, man!

Why is it super secret? Why isn't a donor level advertised for this room? 

Why not actually MAKE it a benefit, not a private club available to only those of like mind that are asked to join?

Its extremely small time, even almost high schoolish.

But, then again, this is an RV run AD, so I guess we can't really expect more than that, right?

RV is obviously protected by some, if not all, of these large donors. He is personal friends with most of them. If performance meant anything to these donors, RV would have been gone after the  Benford hire, and certainly after the Portland St. disaster.

But he is still here, and we still suck. At everything.

So please save the "these people care about winning" speech. They don't. At least not as much as they do about being a big fish in a tiny pond and not hurting a friend. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

Why is it super secret? Why isn't a donor level advertised for this room? 

Why not actually MAKE it a benefit, not a private club available to only those of like mind that are asked to join?

Its extremely small time, even almost high schoolish.

But, then again, this is an RV run AD, so I guess we can't really expect more than that, right?

Nothing at all super secret about it. I highly doubt advertising the level of donation is going to prompt any donor of that size to come out of nowhere and donate.  Stop making something out of nothing. Geeeezzzzz!  Our development folks discuss it with potential donors all the time.  It is no secret.

• Downvote 5